Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar Observing and Imaging

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Bummed about my 2.5x powermate
      #5671143 - 02/09/13 06:09 PM Attachment (102 downloads)

Attaching an image that I overstretched to show what I am seeing when I shoot longer exposures of proms with my new 2.5X Powermate. I'm getting a "Ghost" image of the sun and it's driving me nuts. I don't get this when I use my cheapo orion 2X barlow! I like the clarity I get with the powermate but any ideas how to avoid getting this ghost?

Camera is a DMK31AU03. I can reduce the ghost somewhat when shooting at higher frame rates but it is still there and I hate trying clone it out or reduce it by playing with the background. I may just go back to my inexpensive barlow!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: rigel123]
      #5671329 - 02/09/13 07:54 PM

I noticed this in your animation too. The Powermates use a telecentric lens arrangement, with both a negative lens and a positive lens - or lens groups. My guess is that one of the groups or lenses may involve a plano component. If these are not tilted, you may get a reflected image like this. I'd send the image with your description to TeleVue for a more informed opinion.

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/08

#5671372 - 02/09/13 08:20 PM

WOW, Warren, I had similar issues with my Cak images. I never thought to peg the issue on the powermate. If you choose to follow Bob's advise, let us all know what Teleview says. Last time I saw this issue pop up it was an issue with the inside of the C to 1.25 adapters being not properly flocked.

When I saw your post it struck me to check my 2.5 Powermate for proper flocking on the objective side. Sure nuff, if you dis-assemble (unscrew the threaded elements) the inside elements are flocked. Unfortunately the chrome barrel on the objective side is not! Perhaps using flat black paint to flock the threaded chrome end on the powermate may make the reflectionm go away. If you have sun, it easy enough to do and post back (while you wait for teleview to respond).

Thanks for pegging the powermate as the possible culprit. I have been fighting the same reflection!

If it is the unflocked chrome end - that will be an easy fix for a lot of us.

Joe

Edited by sullij1 (02/09/13 08:26 PM)

rigel123
Postmaster

Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: sullij1]
      #5671490 - 02/09/13 10:05 PM

Thanks for the comments Bob/Joe, I'll definitely write to Televue and I'll report back what they say. The inexpensive barlow I have used in the past (it is a Meade, not an Orion) is a shorty 2X barlow. I took apart the Televue and it appears flat black all the way through. Glad to hear it's not just me!

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
      #5671784 - 02/10/13 03:49 AM

The 2.5x Powermate works well with my Imaging Source cameras. I note that the filter thread on the front of the nosepiece is shiny metal and might be better blackened or flocked but it really doesn't seem to affect me. I suspect your reflection is between the front element of the powermate and the back element in the Ha diagonal ... the elements in the blocking filter are often slightly tilted to avoid internal reflections & perhaps yours isn't tilted enough.

I've always had issues with "ordinary" barlows for high resolution imaging ... some loss of contrast due to reflections similar to that shown in your image, some loss of resolution possibly caused by poor correction especially at short & long wavelengths (solar CaK & Ha) but mostly because the magnification varies so much with the magnification. Give me a Powermate any day. I just wish they made 1.5x, 2x and 3x in 1.25" fittings ... the 2" fitting Powermates are far too heavy & the 5x is way too powerful in a scope with anything like a sensible focal ratio.

AstroPaolo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/30/08

Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: brianb11213]
      #5671812 - 02/10/13 04:48 AM

the 2x and 4x powermate 2" gave me the same reflection and gost images, they cost a fortune, I expected no reflection in any conditions, my cheap 2x celestron barlow suffer alot less but it has a different lens system

televue probably didn't create them thinking also the solar imaging, i switched to the baader telecentric barlow, created for solar imaging; that also has an halpha range cleaner avoiding any reflection.

marktownley
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/08

Loc: West Midlands, UK
Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: AstroPaolo]
      #5671850 - 02/10/13 06:00 AM

I've read others having the same issue with the 2.5x powermate and Ha, I don't (luckily!) have this issue... Not sure what to suggest to fix...

ASTROTRUCK
sage

Reged: 01/02/10

Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: marktownley]
      #5673160 - 02/10/13 10:01 PM

same issue with my 2.5 powermate with my dmk41

so who do we send it back to - if we do our own paint job what are the chances of the paint flecking with constant summer heat.

they should be prepared to correct the flocking issue considering the cost for one up here in canada.

rigel123
Postmaster

Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: marktownley]
      #5673161 - 02/10/13 10:02 PM

Hopefully will have a chance to talk to Televue once I'm back from my meeting. I'll be interested in their input.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #5673756 - 02/11/13 10:14 AM

Yes, please keep us posted.

drksky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/09

Loc: Bloomington, IL
Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: Aquarist]
      #5673968 - 02/11/13 12:28 PM

Makes me curious to try out the 2.5X powermate that I bought a few weeks ago. Haven't had a clear day since then.

Andy Devey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/11

Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: drksky]
      #5674012 - 02/11/13 12:52 PM

Hi, just a thought, what about cutting a piece of matt black cardboard the same length of the inner circumference and putting it into the barrel of the the Powermate it would be very easy to do?

Regards

Andy

Edited by Andy Devey (02/11/13 12:55 PM)

ASTROTRUCK
sage

Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: Andy Devey]
      #5674211 - 02/11/13 03:14 PM

if it has to be opened then is there a critical alignment issue when reassembling

nagler i am sure may not be happy to receive back all our 2.5's

then are these isolated few not blackened not caught by them or all not blackened at all

rigel123
Postmaster

Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: ASTROTRUCK]
      #5674857 - 02/11/13 09:50 PM

I did take mine apart and the only part that is shiny chrome is the very end of the tube, the entire inside is flat black. I may try some flat black on the very end and see if that takes care of it.

If anyone else notices this same reflection please let me know.

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: ASTROTRUCK]
      #5674877 - 02/11/13 10:02 PM

I thought as Brianb, perhaps a reflection between the lens groups and the diagonal. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Warren, do you use a diagonal? If so, can you shoot one straight through without the diagonal and see what you get?

Edited by sullij1 (02/11/13 10:05 PM)

Jim Lafferty
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/30/07

Loc: Southern California
Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: sullij1]
      #5679541 - 02/14/13 01:49 PM

Havent had that issue myself with my 2.5x powermate---Im assuming you arent doublestacked?

Jim

marktownley
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/08

Loc: West Midlands, UK
Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate new [Re: Jim Lafferty]
      #5679577 - 02/14/13 02:07 PM

What size blocker is being used in the scope?

ASTROTRUCK
sage

Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate [Re: marktownley]
      #5707298 - 03/01/13 02:41 PM

question - i as stated using the 2.5 powerrmate have a very acute double image -using an etelon i place the powermate between the blocking filter & the dmk
IS IT SAFE TO PLACE THE POWERMATE BEFORE THE BLOCKING FILTER considering the etelon reduces the heat coming through , & still place the dmk after the blocking filter.
this somewhat changes the position of the various glass surfaces.

thanks

rigel123
Postmaster

Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate [Re: marktownley]
      #5707379 - 03/01/13 03:31 PM

Sorry, forgot about this as I have been busy with work and it has been cloudy. I did do some imaging with my Orion 2X and no problems.

Yes there is a diagonal it is the 1200 BF, and it is a single stack. I haven't had a chance to talk with Televue yet.

Just spoke to Televue, it's a spacing issue, will post more info later

Edited by rigel123 (03/01/13 04:14 PM)

rigel123
Postmaster

Re: Bummed about my 2.5x powermate [Re: rigel123]
      #5707738 - 03/01/13 08:21 PM

OK, this may make some sense. I spoke with Televue and it is the spacing that is causing the ghost. They suggest getting the PTR-1250 T Ring Adapter which replaces the eyepiece holder on the Powermate, as described by our sponsor here:

https://www.astronomics.com/televue-t-ring-adapter-1-25-inch-powermates_p3441...

Then I'll need another adapter to allow that to attach to the DMK31 camera.

When I look at the Orion Barlow I use that I don't have a problem with, it is a shorty model, and is about the length of the Powermate when you take the eyepiece holder off the Powermate. Of course it is not an inexpensive fix, I may just be using that CN discount!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Phillip Creed, nitegeezer 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2067

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics