Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Input needed new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5667473 - 02/07/13 04:55 PM

Most hairdryers come with GFCI built into them now.

Great news: Scope has shipped. FedEx Ground says it will be here Saturday.

Bad News: RAIN!!! The curse has begun..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Input needed new [Re: ben2112]
      #5668896 - 02/08/13 12:22 PM

Quote:

From your title "Starlifer Driver" I take it your were a C-141 pilot.

Hi Ben,

Yup, C-141s! Sweetest air-breathing aerospace vehicle ever! Well, for trash-haulers anyway. Started in MAC C-130s (E models) at Charleston in 1964 then into 141s in 1967. Stayed in 141s nearly my whole 20 year career - mostly as an instructor/flight examiner. Best job I've ever had, bar none! And since retiring from USAF in 1983, I've had quite a few. I retired for real in 2006 and I still look back on my C-141 years with MUCH fondness and nostalgia. And now both myself AND my Sweetheart C-141 are retired!

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Input needed new [Re: barbarosa]
      #5669201 - 02/08/13 02:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would recommend a circuit breaker in the line though when operating from an AC electrical source outdoors.

It might be a terminology issue, but what you should havey is a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interupter) proctected outlet or extension cable. A circuit breaker protects the ciruit from a current overload, but does not protect against electric shock.

Terminology differences, of course, accepted.

However, probably the most used application of "to ground or grounded" over here, either relates to the prevention of wayward kids from accessing the great outdoors for a parental, predetermined length of time; the "punishment" being proportional to the severity of their "crime", or, as in "gone to ground", for a fox to have eluded the hunt, (an illegal pursuit in the UK these days), or, with use of the past participle in announcing, "All 'planes at (our illustrious) Heathrow airport, following a half inch snowfall, are grounded" !

In the UK, such terminology as applicable here is expressed as "earthing" electrical circuits but then, didn't someone once suggest that we are; "Two nations divided by a common language" ?

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (02/08/13 04:38 PM)

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Input needed new [Re: Skip]
      #5669690 - 02/08/13 08:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

From your title "Starlifer Driver" I take it your were a C-141 pilot.

Hi Ben,

Yup, C-141s! Sweetest air-breathing aerospace vehicle ever! Well, for trash-haulers anyway. Started in MAC C-130s (E models) at Charleston in 1964 then into 141s in 1967. Stayed in 141s nearly my whole 20 year career - mostly as an instructor/flight examiner. Best job I've ever had, bar none! And since retiring from USAF in 1983, I've had quite a few. I retired for real in 2006 and I still look back on my C-141 years with MUCH fondness and nostalgia. And now both myself AND my Sweetheart C-141 are retired!

Thank you for your service!!

I used to work for a contractor that build C-17 and F-22 maintenance trainers. Now I am working with Military Hospitals and Clinics.

To all in the Northeast: I am SO SORRY!!! I didn't know that ordering a telescope would cause a blizzard..

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5670268 - 02/09/13 08:12 AM

[quote.

To all in the Northeast: I am SO SORRY!!! I didn't know that ordering a telescope would cause a blizzard..

I'm sure it wasn't just you!

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Input needed new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5670707 - 02/09/13 01:03 PM

WOOT!!! It arrived!!! Daughter helped me put it together. She is excited about what we can see tonight. I told her upfront that we have to get used to the controls and be patient. She understood. She said, "Dad, this a whole lot bigger then the other scope you bought a couple of years ago." I then told her, "This is a REAL scope. That other scope was just a toy."

I can say that this scope is about the size I expected and it's not really that heavy. I already used it through the front door to look at my neighbor's house across the street. It's supposed to be clear skies with about average seeing. Going to take it out around 6ish and let it cool down. Going to test the 2 or 3 star align. From what I can tell by Stellarium, Jupiter should be visible. Now I can't wait for it to get dark. Until then, I am off to the local craft store to see about getting some black poster board to make a dew shield out of it.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28 N, 81 W
      #5670745 - 02/09/13 01:23 PM

I recommend you use the auto two star align. This video and other Cloudy Nighters also say that is the one to use. You can practice the procedure in your house in the daytime. You'll also want to make sure your city or longitude and latitude are entered so you won't have to do that in the dark. Once your site location has been entered you can leave it alone unless you travel many miles away.

Jupiter and M42 will be the main attraction tonight. Congratulations on getting a very nice scope.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Input needed new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5670920 - 02/09/13 03:29 PM

Get the 8" and lose the idea of the package deal - its a myth. Your package expands and morphs as long as you r in the hobby. I love my 6" sct but I already have an 8" reflector. Had I not,?itd be the 8SE. Eyepieces and power source-.get it along the way. If your into it you'll always buy something sometime for something.

When I bought my first tele I had the scope and AN eyepiece. The biggest best investment in a scope purchase is get only the scope and as much as you can afford and lift comfortably.

Pete

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Input needed new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5671537 - 02/09/13 10:49 PM

Quote:

Get the 8" and lose the idea of the package deal - its a myth. Your package expands and morphs as long as you r in the hobby. I love my 6" sct but I already have an 8" reflector. Had I not,?itd be the 8SE. Eyepieces and power source-.get it along the way. If your into it you'll always buy something sometime for something.

When I bought my first tele I had the scope and AN eyepiece. The biggest best investment in a scope purchase is get only the scope and as much as you can afford and lift comfortably.

Pete

Well.. The only reason I got the kit was the price. It was only $100 more and it included eye peices, filters, etc. More then anything, I just wanted the eye pieces. Which I used tonight. My next purchase is going to be a good observing chair. My poor back. OW!!

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Input needed [Re: ben2112]
      #5671571 - 02/09/13 11:21 PM

The kit is not a bad way to get started. You get exposed to a lot of different gear and get to see what you like and don't like. And for the money, you can't beat what you get.

-Dan

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1186

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics