Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
richard hoyt

Reged: 11/24/12

need help with starlight xpress, phd and cg5
      #5671652 - 02/10/13 12:14 AM

I just got the starlight xpress superstar and I think i am over my head using it. I finally got some time to hook it up, but the lack of direct instructions or software for it is frustrating. They included generic instructions and software for the sxv-h9c camera. I tried using the supplied software and maybe it is becuase I am so new, I couldn't figure it out. So i tried the PHd software and it seemed to be better, I was able to get it to focus and find a star, but it wouldn't control my mount. What gives? oh and I have the celestron 80mm guidescope and am using the celestron supplied extender for the camera. I have a "c" mount to M42 mount adapter so it screws directly onto the extension.

I guess my questions are these.

1) what software do you use, lodestar, co-star or superstar specific? PhD? or something else.

2) I am sorry if this asks to much, but could you give me a step by step stupid person instructions on how to setup my camera to the mount and have it work with whatever software is most user friendly.

3) What settings are you using for your Cg-5 mounts? Which com port?

I searched for some info on the net and didn't come up with anything that really helped, some said to plug in the cable to the hand controller rather than the mount, but the plug in the controller is a smaller version.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: need help with starlight xpress, phd and cg5 new [Re: richard hoyt]
      #5671673 - 02/10/13 12:32 AM

PHD or Maxim DL.. You don't need your mount plugged into your PC unless you are using nexremote or some planetarium program..

You need to plug in the white cable with the 5 pins and the other end goes into your mounts autoguider port (looks like the phone cable end.)

If using PHD, you chose SX then choose the lodestar.. Under the mount menu you need to choose on-camera. (everyone forgets this step)

Let us know..

richard hoyt

Re: need help with starlight xpress, phd and cg5 new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5671678 - 02/10/13 12:39 AM

I can use PhD, and when I tried I was using the white cable. USB from superstar to laptop and white cable to autoguider port in the mount. For camera I did select sx superstar, but when I selected my mount it gave me a couple of options. Celestron, Generic Hub, ascom dome, simulator and another one i can't remember. When I selected the celestron one and hit properties and then ok, it would give me an ascom error.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5671689 - 02/10/13 12:47 AM

the mount option is up top in the menu.. you won't choose your mount with a direct connection from the camera.. just go to mount then choose on camera.. it's the bottom option..

richard hoyt

#5671699 - 02/10/13 01:05 AM

ah ok, i will try that. How can I check to make sure it is controlling the mount? Is there a way to force it to move to check connection?

richard hoyt

#5671700 - 02/10/13 01:06 AM

oh forgot to ask, what are the better parameters for the advanced setup (brain icon) for my guidescope and mount?

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5671734 - 02/10/13 01:57 AM

When you do the calibration, you will see the star move.

Check out this link for PHD settings explained.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4775100/Main...

richard hoyt

#5676898 - 02/13/13 12:51 AM

So I got PhD to recognize my cg5 mount by choosing the on camera mode, but it won't control the mount. Now I am really stumped. I checked all of the connections and it is plugged in. I selected manual guiding so I could try to move the mount and the light on the back of the superstar blinks when it sends the signal, but the mount doesn't move? Any suggestions?

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 331

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics