Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bazk

Reged: 12/08/09

Loc: Windsor
Celestron C6-N (C150-HD) new
      #5664813 - 02/06/13 08:49 AM

Hi guys,

I just bought a used (like new) Celestron C-6N it's a 6" / 150MM reflector, as far as I can tell it's the predecessor to the Celestron Omni XLT 150. Other than the colour the specs seem identical.

I set it up yesterday and frustratingly it was cloudy all night!! So I didn't even take it out of the house.

It only came with the standard eye piece (20mm). Not that I've used it yet but I was thinking of looking for other eye pieces / or a barlow lens. I'll mainly be using it to look at planets as well as trying to look at galaxies etc. What would you all recommend?

Also, having never ever used a telescope before, what you would recommend I focus on for the first few viewings?

Thanks,

Baz

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
Re: Celestron C6-N (C150-HD) new [Re: Bazk]
      #5664950 - 02/06/13 10:37 AM

I had my C6-N out last night and it is a good performer. I have reworked the focuser and flocked the entire inside of the tube. I don't have any of the higher priced eyepieces but I do have the Sterling Plossl's, 25mm, 20mm, 17mm, and 12.5mm. They perform very well in the C6-N.

Bazk

Re: Celestron C6-N (C150-HD) new [Re: Locoman]
      #5665063 - 02/06/13 11:46 AM

Hi Locoman, good someone else that has the same scope! I've not found any videos etc online that demonstrate the C6-N's performance how would you say it performs for observing planets, i.e. can you see the cloud belts on Jupiter?

The inside of the tube looks like it's a matt/flat black so I'll see how that performs before I potentially attempt any mods.

I'm going to keep watching for eye pieces on ebay, hoping to pick up some higher magnification pieces / and or a barlow lens.

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5665114 - 02/06/13 12:15 PM Attachment (53 downloads)

Looked at Jupiter last night. Yes you can see the cloud bands. I haven't pushed the magnification to high on mine. The highest I've used is my 9mm barlowed so that would be 166x. Although the C6-n isn't the best for planets it still does quite well. The Orion Nebula was fantastic last night through it. I even viewed the Crab Nebula last night and although it was faint it was pretty good with all my neighbors porch lights on. What mount are you using it on?

Bazk

#5665125 - 02/06/13 12:20 PM

I'm using the CG-4 Equatorial Mount (I think) although it looks like the CG-5 based on the way the weights look, I'll post a picture tonight if I get a chance.

Was hoping to get a goto motorised mount, that'll have to wait!

Which mount do you have?

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5665139 - 02/06/13 12:26 PM Attachment (53 downloads)

2nd pic

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5665159 - 02/06/13 12:33 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

Quote:

I'm using the CG-4 Equatorial Mount (I think) although it looks like the CG-5 based on the way the weights look, I'll post a picture tonight if I get a chance.

Was hoping to get a goto motorised mount, that'll have to wait!

Which mount do you have?

I have the Vixen StarGuy, and VersaGo ll aka AZ4. I have the Celestron 102 GT and I put the mount off the 102 GT on my StarGuy tripod and it provides a stable GoTo set up for the C6-N. The C6-N on the VersaGo ll Alt-Az mount is a perfect match for the C6-N if GoTo is not a priority. Here's a pic on the VersaGo ll.

Edited by Locoman (02/06/13 12:36 PM)

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5665182 - 02/06/13 12:46 PM

I bought my C6-N optical tube from Woodland Hills and they are now selling the Omni XLT 150 OTA for about $10.00 cheaper than the C6-N. Pretty good deal if anyone wants a 6" f/5 reflector. Link

unknown1304

Reged: 12/15/12

Loc: Michigan
      #5665217 - 02/06/13 01:05 PM

I have the C10-NGT which is the 10 inch goto version of the scope you have. Having the goto is wonderful. It will track and is fairly easy to aline.

Bazk

Re: Celestron C6-N (C150-HD) new [Re: unknown1304]
      #5666907 - 02/07/13 11:30 AM

Very nice pictures Locoman! Well I got to use the C6-N last night for the first time and was quite impressed, saw Jupiter along with what I think were the moons (2 of them).

However the planet appeared about 2mm in width and was quite bright, so I definitely need to invest in some new eye pieces to improve the size and details, I'm thinking of a 6mm or 9mm Plossl along with a 2 x barlow lens. Does that sound sensible or would you guys suggest another configuration?

Bazk

Re: Celestron C6-N (C150-HD) new [Re: unknown1304]
      #5666912 - 02/07/13 11:32 AM

Quote:

I have the C10-NGT which is the 10 inch goto version of the scope you have. Having the goto is wonderful. It will track and is fairly easy to aline.

Hi, I'm going to keep an eye out for a goto system, just don't want to spend the cash just yet as eye pieces are my priority. I've been making do with Google SkyMaps on my phone and the finder scope to get in the right area then I just reply on the eyepiece. I should really learn how to use the EQ mount.

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5667183 - 02/07/13 02:23 PM

Quote:

Very nice pictures Locoman! Well I got to use the C6-N last night for the first time and was quite impressed, saw Jupiter along with what I think were the moons (2 of them).

However the planet appeared about 2mm in width and was quite bright, so I definitely need to invest in some new eye pieces to improve the size and details, I'm thinking of a 6mm or 9mm Plossl along with a 2 x barlow lens. Does that sound sensible or would you guys suggest another configuration?

Those eyepieces will have tight eye relief especially the 6mm. Whats your budget for eyepieces? If you want more people to give you advice on eyepieces then start a post in the eyepiece forum and state what scope and eyepieces you have and what your budget is.

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5668566 - 02/08/13 09:26 AM

I'll post a picture tonight if I get a chance.

Bazk

#5668762 - 02/08/13 11:19 AM

I've been meaning to take a pic and post it, definitely this weekend!! Will post my query re eyepieces in the relevant forum too

svrider1000

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Sylmar, California
      #5671714 - 02/10/13 01:25 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Quote:

I bought my C6-N optical tube from Woodland Hills and they are now selling the Omni XLT 150 OTA for about $10.00 cheaper than the C6-N. Pretty good deal if anyone wants a 6" f/5 reflector. Link

Coincidentally I drove down to Woodland Hills and got a XLT 150 today for $189 plus tax. I only got to use it for about 30 minutes or so because the clouds rolled in. I am also using it with my Nexstar 102GT mount on old Orion legs though. SO far I really like it a lot. I am going to look into getting the Tripod you are using also.

cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/07

Loc: Rutherford Co, TN
Re: Celestron C6-N (C150-HD) [Re: svrider1000]
      #5671811 - 02/10/13 04:47 AM

I owned the C150HD (2001-2006) and it was wonderful. I had my best view ever of Mars in August of '03 with that scope. With the 150 version I had, it had a "corrector" lens built into the secondary housing - not the focuer like many others - so the effective FL was 1000mm. The C6N is the same tube but withouut the corrector lens so the FL is 750mm. I would try the Moon first but there was nearly nothing I couldn't see with mine.

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C6-N (C150-HD) new [Re: svrider1000]
      #5672892 - 02/10/13 07:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Coincidentally I drove down to Woodland Hills and got a XLT 150 today for $189 plus tax. I only got to use it for about 30 minutes or so because the clouds rolled in. I am also using it with my Nexstar 102GT mount on old Orion legs though. SO far I really like it a lot. I am going to look into getting the Tripod you are using also.

I would like to hear more reports on your new 150 XLT after you've had it out under the stars some more. Like I said for the price I would like to have it, maybe for a spare. Woodland Hills sells the HAL-130 SX Link

svrider1000

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Sylmar, California
      #5673310 - 02/10/13 11:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would like to hear more reports on your new 150 XLT after you've had it out under the stars some more. Like I said for the price I would like to have it, maybe for a spare. Woodland Hills sells the HAL-130 SX Link

Locoman,

I will post an update as soon as I can get out there with this scope. Also how is your go to and tracking for your C6-N on the GT mount?

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C6-N (C150-HD) new [Re: svrider1000]
      #5673484 - 02/11/13 04:53 AM

I've only used the C6-N on it a couple of times but everything I had the mount slew to was in the fov. I can't get out to observe a lot right now because of my job plus I'm a fair weather type.

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
      #5673496 - 02/11/13 05:16 AM

Quote:

Hi guys,

I just bought a used (like new) Celestron C-6N it's a 6" / 150MM reflector, as far as I can tell it's the predecessor to the Celestron Omni XLT 150. Other than the colour the specs seem identical.

I set it up yesterday and frustratingly it was cloudy all night!! So I didn't even take it out of the house.

It only came with the standard eye piece (20mm). Not that I've used it yet but I was thinking of looking for other eye pieces / or a barlow lens. I'll mainly be using it to look at planets as well as trying to look at galaxies etc. What would you all recommend?

Also, having never ever used a telescope before, what you would recommend I focus on for the first few viewings?

Thanks,

Baz

I have a similar scope. One of the bit earlier Celestrons from before the Omni's. Mine is on a home brew alt-az mount, so it's hand tracking of targets for me.
Consider a 32mm plossl as an inexpensive, well working option, for a low power 2 degree field, that is easy to look through.
My last one was purchased used, for 20 or 25 bucks shipped to my door. New ones are not much more.
I use my 6" f/5 often up near 200x, when ever the seeing allows. Sometimes a bit more. So my high power option is near 4mm.
Plossl's and/or ortho's plus a barlow works well for this.
Things with more field of view and/or more eye relief can work a bit better, as the target is in the field longer and the eye lens is larger and easier to look through.
As the focal ratio is f/5 on these scopes, if you are going for ep's with very much more field of view than plossl sized, then more complex type ep's are needed.
Consider things six element if you're stepping up to a 60 degree field or beyond, to correct for edge of field astigmatism.
There are many ep options available for this, new and used.

This scope is easily capable of seeing well beyond the Messiers. It is portable enough to fit in any sized vehicle, for sometime excursions out under anything darker sky.
When cooled and collimated Jovian shadow transits are easy in good seeing, and sometimes the pearl of a transiting galilean moon itself.
With detailed charting, experience and careful attention to dark adaptation, it is possible to see some stupidly faint targets, when out under truly dark sky.

For what to look at now, definitely keep after Jupiter as it is in season.
Consider this as an option for what else this winter's sky has to offer:
http://www.astronomics.com/celestron-sky-maps-seasonal-star-charts_p19489.aspx

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1910

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics