Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Thoughts on a Celestron Advanced VX 8" Newt
      #5672333 - 02/10/13 12:58 PM

Has anyone tried a Celestron F5 newt. I mainly want the Advanced VX mount for my Lunt LS60 for visual and AP, but the 8" newt is ONLY $300 more maybe this would let me experiment a little more with nighttime AP while still using MY CPC1100 for visual. (Seems like everything in astronomy is ONLY a few hundred more...except for the times it's a few thousand more)

Figured if I don't use it or don't care for it a 8" newt OTA isn't the worst thing to try to offload on the used market. Probably wouldn't get 300 for it, but I'd be ok with that.

I don't have a newt yet and I think there is some rule about owning one of each type of scope.

There is a 6" newt for only 100 more than the mount but it only has a 1.25 focuser and a single counter weight. I have several 2" eyepieces (if I used it for visual at all) and I was probably going to buy another counterweight anyways. And I probably could offload a 6" newt for $100.

Feel like I should just buy the Advanced VX mount by itself but what is the rest of the tax refund going to do, earn .01% interest?

The 6" refractor is also there at only 500 more than the mount alone. I already own a little 80mm refractor but don't use it that often, just piggyback it onto the CPC here and there.

What would you do?

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Thoughts on a Celestron Advanced VX 8" Newt new [Re: jerwin]
      #5674404 - 02/11/13 04:40 PM

It's probably like all the other 8" f/4 newts out there made in China. I would say it won't pull in 2-300 bucks on the used market to make the price worth it though. I saw an AT8IN on AM the other day selling for 200 bucks if that puts it in perspective.

Good luck!

dugpatrick

Reged: 10/13/10

Loc: Round Rock, TX
Re: Thoughts on a Celestron Advanced VX 8" Newt new [Re: Raginar]
      #5674522 - 02/11/13 05:44 PM

I think you can find 8" newts on the used market for $300, and sometimes less.

Regarding quality of the OTA: I have the C8-NGT which appears the be the same OTA as the VX 8" newt. (i think they just updated the mount?)

Here's a sample image taken with my Celestron 8" newt: (but riding on a CGEM DX mount)
http://astrob.in/full/1263/

Vignetting is pretty strong at the edges of APS-C size sensor, but good flats will correct the problem. Otherwise I'd say it's a good OTA for imaging.

Doug

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 895

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics