Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light new [Re: BillC]
      #5643888 - 01/26/13 07:39 AM

Quote:

"a low number of posts is not an indication of lack of knowledge."

Nicos"

Granted! But, you're sharp enough to see my point. It is NOT ALWAY. However, on CN it often IS. Am I on shaky ground?

BillC

Bill,

You are right. In my case, I am but an egg, still learning. Was lucky enough to have someone explain the Celestron Skymaster thingie and help me check!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Photobud

Reged: 01/07/13

Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light new [Re: Joad]
      #5671491 - 02/09/13 10:05 PM

Quote:

Jupiter and three moons is definitely not wishful thinking with a 15X70 Porro binocular. My 8X42 roof prism binocular shows Jupiter and three moons (the 4th moon is definitely wishful thinking with the 8X42, though I think that I've seen it at least with averted imagination).

Got about 3 minutes tonight before the clouds rolled back in. In addition to a quick look at Orion (slightly hazy view) was able to see all 4 moons of Jupiter. And this time I'm sure, as I observed, then went back into the house to check out if they were really where I thought they were and sumagun, they were! Still no decent tripod, but propped my elbows on the back of my Dodge Caravan for support and got amazingly stable view. Stars were very sharp and I saw single points without straining my eyes into collimation.

I'm HAPPY!

tomchris
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/22/10

Loc: Connecticut, U.S.A.
Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light [Re: Photobud]
      #5672597 - 02/10/13 04:02 PM

I say they're more than worth the price!! Have fun with them- I have.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light *DELETED* new [Re: tomchris]
      #5681081 - 02/15/13 10:25 AM

Post deleted by moynihan

MrJones
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Indiana
Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light new [Re: moynihan]
      #5681097 - 02/15/13 10:34 AM

Grats on an excellent purchase. I love mine too - actually they've blown me and my regular customers (kids) away. Now that I have these the 8x40s sit on shelf. I tried 3 of the Barska X-Trails first and returned them all. So glad I tried one more time with the Celestrons.

p.s. Summer Milky Way soon!

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light new [Re: MrJones]
      #5695962 - 02/23/13 01:39 AM

I've had these Celestron 15x70s for quite some time now and they are very nice. Surprisingly nice actually. When I got them I didn't know they were cheap (heck, I didn't think they were at $79). I must have got a good pair.

While I like binoculars, I don't feel the need to spend a lot of money on a pair. If I were to spend a lot on binoculars it would be right angle ones...but those are beyond my current bino funding/wants. For now the 15x70s fulfill my needs.

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
      #5707599 - 03/01/13 06:23 PM

Quote:

“One previously contemplated theory of mine which THAT experience blew right out of the water, was that there must be some kind of mystical force at work whereby somehow, for some unfathomable reason, anyone buying a Skymaster as a first ever 15x binocular, always seemed to get one PERFECTLY collimated, whereas anyone who had ever looked through a considerably more expensive 15x model beforehand, NEVER did. — Kenny”

KennyJ:

And how many times have I pointed that out, only to be followed by someone who swears he’s had his for years and the collimation is “perfect”? There is no doubt that is a possibility. However, what I know to be true makes such claims suspect.

Having to return so many from one shipment — and finding similar collimation problems with 20 units from the next — I felt obligated to return the lot. As a retailer, would it be smart business to stop selling such a popular product without good reason? Did I do it because I wanted to be different? Celestron is trying to hit a price point and thousands of consumers a year will never recognize the problem, take the time to return defective products or compare notes as we do here.

BillC

Your comments here put to rest for me what has been puzzling about my two pairs of Celestron Skymaster 15x70s.

I liked them when I got my first one, but then after some months I felt that they had gotten out of alignment since I was having some trouble fusing the images part of the time (I could do it better it there were a richer field of objects, but a single star or planet would be doubled).

After discovering the difficulty and/or cost of doing a realignment, I bought another pair instead (planning on converting the first into parts). But after awhile I found the same problem. At first I thought I had switched the binoculars, but after doing some back and forth testing I determined that their collimation problems were the same. Whether I could fuse the images depended on how tired I was, and what I was looking at, but was the same for both.

Evidently they exhibit the marginally out-of-alignment state you find with so many of them.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light new [Re: Photobud]
      #5707740 - 03/01/13 08:23 PM

Quote:

Got about 3 minutes tonight before the clouds rolled back in. In addition to a quick look at Orion (slightly hazy view) was able to see all 4 moons of Jupiter. And this time I'm sure, as I observed, then went back into the house to check out if they were really where I thought they were and sumagun, they were! Still no decent tripod, but propped my elbows on the back of my Dodge Caravan for support and got amazingly stable view. Stars were very sharp and I saw single points without straining my eyes into collimation.

I'm HAPPY!

I've had mine for about 8 years now and they're still going strong. I never cease to be amazed at how much I can see with them, especially from a dark site. Even from my light-polluted backyard, I have no trouble spotting M33 with them. I sometimes use a tripod, but actually prefer using them while lying on my back in a lawn chair.

I often take them along when I do public outreach, and they are always a big hit.

benboy
journeyman

Reged: 03/22/11

#5770594 - 04/01/13 11:43 AM

Hi Bill, I'm a rookie just looking to get my first astro pair of binoculars (currently playing with an inherited pair of 8x40's that I have no idea about the quality of) and I just wanted to say that I really appreciated the information you gave in this thread. It was exactly what I was looking for! So I hope you'll be encouraged that I definitely am using CN as a learning tool and having the info from someone who has been in the business is really valuable to me. I was wondering if you could give your advice on what you would recommend as an alternative to the celestron skymasters that would be less likely to have collimation issues (both on arrival and by getting "knocked" out of collimation later) and also give good overall views. I am budget minded, but feel that it is better to get something I can be sure about than "take the gamble". Also do you think the 15x70 are a good size for most binocular stargazing purposes?

Cheers

Ben

Jean Mario

Reged: 11/21/10

Loc: Québec, Canada, St-Jérôme.
Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light *DELETED* new [Re: BillC]
      #5779217 - 04/05/13 09:29 AM

Is a taller tripod next on my list !

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light new [Re: benboy]
      #5779825 - 04/05/13 03:00 PM

Hello, benboy

I just noticed your reply/query.

When a query is attached to an older thread, I've noticed that members frequently do not receive replies.

The Garrett and Oberwerk 15x70 LW binoculars are known as far more reliable than the Celestron Skymaster 15x70.

Garret Optical has a newer 15x70 called the Garrett® Gemini 15x70 WP-CF Mk II. You can read about it in the review section. I considered adding it to my collection, but I really don't need it. This binocular is notable for an effective aperture close to 70mm.

Your best choice might be the Oberwerk Ultra 15x70 (aka Garrett Signature, Orion Resolux, etc). This binocular is heavy and the most expensive.

For the best views, mounting is de rigueur. A monopod is also favored by some of us. Garrett has a very good & very tall grip-action monopod.

For many here 15x and a ~ 4.3° TFOV is considered "the sweet spot."

michiel
sage

Reged: 09/16/04

Loc: The hague Netherlands
Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light new [Re: Man in a Tub]
      #5835748 - 05/02/13 07:55 AM

I have a celestron 15x70 already for some years. Although from optics point of view there are probably much better 15x70 binoculars on the market , I prefer these ones. I see most people advocate the celestron's existence by its price, it is not expensive. I value it for another advantage: it's weight. These binocs weigh in at about 1300 grams, which is about half of what a good pair of fujinons weigh. I have rather steady hands , and when in the field i can use it handheld. when sitting in a deckchair I enjoy milky way sweeps. A 2000+ gram bino is just too heavy for this. On the other hand... if I were to mount it, why not take a 80 or 100mm bino, as weight does not matter anymore.
That is why I really like them... they are lightweights.. They give about the most light gathering power that can be hand held with 15x.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light new [Re: michiel]
      #5836128 - 05/02/13 11:55 AM

The Oberwerk 15x70 LW is more reliable because instead of just fixing the prisms in place with epoxy putty they also install clips as well, however they are more expensive than the Celestron, on examination I would say both of these models are coming from the same factory, a classic case of being able to buy the same model with upgrades to the optics and construction. Oberwerk has a good article on their web site on how to do a basic collimation adjustment to their version, it also applies to the Skymaster as well, worth a try before tossing them in the garbage,DA.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Celestron 15x70 - First Light new [Re: michiel]
      #5836184 - 05/02/13 12:26 PM

Quote:

I have a celestron 15x70 already for some years. Although from optics point of view there are probably much better 15x70 binoculars on the market , I prefer these ones ...

The Skymaster 15x70s have a number of shortcomings, but optical quality isn't one of them. As long as the mechanics are in good working order, these binoculars offer amazingly good optics for the money.

The various deluxe models have clearly superior optics, but for me that's more than offset by the fact that their eyepieces are clunky and hard to view through. As long as the Skymasters are in good working order, I would happily trade in a pair of Fujinon 16x70s for them at even money.

Unfortunately, the Skymasters go out of collimation very easily, rendering them utterly useless. I'm glad yours have worked well for you so long. Treat them very carefully and they should continue working for many more years to come.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3890

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics