Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Milling tolerances for Jaegers objective cell new [Re: bremms]
      #5671066 - 02/09/13 05:23 PM

Yes, that's a mistype. It is currently taken down to its smallest i.d. and its largest o.d.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
      #5671075 - 02/09/13 05:25 PM

Since the spacer is a ring use a ring for the bottom as well.
I've made quite a few cells, never had a real problem with a stuck lens. It could happen. You develop a feel for taking the lens in and out. If you have a decent gap on the sides you need to take it up, otherwise you can get decentering of the lens.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Milling tolerances for Jaegers objective cell new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5671089 - 02/09/13 05:41 PM

We are going for 0.01 inch tolerance. I think that will be perfect. If its too much a small bit of foil tape or drafting tape can take up the slack. I was thinking of using a gasket ring for the base. Have to see what I come up with. We will hopefully finish the cell one day next week. We still have quite a bit to do on the lathe, then cutting the threads, drilling the holes to mount it in (on really) the Unitron tube. (It will fit to the tube in the same way as will the original Unitron dew shield which will thread to the outside of the cell.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5671366 - 02/09/13 08:18 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Terra, here are a couple of shots of my 83mm cell. This one is very simple did this during 3 lunch times at work.

This one is a PVC retaining ring using 4 2-56 screws with or without springs. You can use no springs and make the screws a finger tight with some locktite

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5671370 - 02/09/13 08:19 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Cell with lens. You will see what the big eyepiece is for.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5671373 - 02/09/13 08:21 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

lens removed from cell.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5671375 - 02/09/13 08:22 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Cell

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5671378 - 02/09/13 08:24 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

With the retainer.

Edited by bremms (02/09/13 08:25 PM)

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5671383 - 02/09/13 08:29 PM

I like the idea of strips on the sides of the cell. Maybe HDPE or Teflon.
Thought you might like these pictures of my cell. It's very simple. And I didn't have to single point any threads..

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Milling tolerances for Jaegers objective cell [Re: bremms]
      #5672659 - 02/10/13 04:37 PM

Great pics Marc of your retaining cell. It looks similar to the one I am making. Thanks for the tips.

Mine too has the collar that slips over and bolts onto the tube, in my case a 76mm Unitron tube. Mine will have a little interior rim the same thickness as the Unitron tube wall where it will sit square and below that there will be 5 holes drilled to secure the cell to the tube. This cuts the aperture of the lens down from 83 to 78 mm. Above this the cell widens to accommodate the wider objective lens. Then the top of the cell will be threaded for the Unitron thread on dew shield. The entire cell assembly will stand 55 mm but 10 mm will be obscured by the dew she's shield when attached.
I built a cradle for the OTA last week which has two opposing Vixen dovetail bars 8 inches long, so the scope can be mounted on my Vixen StarGuy or my CG4 or my Unistar Deluxe. The bars are also drilled and tapped with 1/4 20 holes so I can also put the scope on my Vintage Professional Jr. Panhead 16mm motion picture tripod.

When this project is finished I will begin planning my Jaegers 4 inch F15.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5673561 - 02/11/13 07:16 AM

Did you go and buy a Zeiss Terra? They are really sweet. I do poke at them on occasion as some owners may stretch the truth about capabilities. Truth is, they really are very good. An old friend had an AS 80 840. It had superb optics and mechanics.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5673741 - 02/11/13 10:09 AM

Hi Marc,

I did. A good friend told that basically, when a good deal comes along, you've got to strike while the iron is hot. Not in those exact words but you get his meaning. It was way to good of a deal to pass up so I did just that. I haven't got it yet but should have it in a week or so. Its a Telementor T1 which was exactly the model I wanted, the one with the helical focusor, and its on a beautiful T2 mount, the one with all the pretty blue and red. I am very excited. I will post pictures when I receive it.

Terra

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5673862 - 02/11/13 11:21 AM

I was able to just fit an 83mm Jaegers into a Vixen 80mm cell. Not sure what that says.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Milling tolerances for Jaegers objective cell new [Re: Geo.]
      #5674030 - 02/11/13 01:04 PM

If the TM was a good deal, yes strike while the iron is hot. I like the T1, the T2 sliding lens thing seems a bit odd. I never used a T2, maybe it works great.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5674295 - 02/11/13 03:52 PM

I would be afraid that the sliding objective could more easily get out of collimation?

Terra

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

#5674398 - 02/11/13 04:39 PM

Exactly.. but it is German. They probably spent a lot of time engineering that properly.

AllanDystrup
sage

Reged: 09/27/12

Loc: Denmark
      #5675251 - 02/12/13 04:39 AM

The T1 helical focuser has a travel of 35mm, while the T2 internal tube R&P has a travel of 100mm; Both have plenty of back-focus, eg for for a diagonal + bino. The helical focuser has a reputation for being very smooth (I've never tried it), but as an owner of a T2 I can testify that the internal R&P is also *very* precise and robust - I've never heard of any problems with that design.

The Telementor and T-mount is a uniquely innovative and well crafted example of astro engineering, and I'm sure you'll fall in love with that baby when you hold it in your arms...

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Milling tolerances for Jaegers objective cell new [Re: AllanDystrup]
      #5675271 - 02/12/13 05:08 AM

Now of course I've loaned my Telementor 1 to a friend, so I don't have it at hand, but from what I recall, the helical focuser has a travel of 55mm. The back focus is about 140mm. I couldn't reach focus with my Baader Maxbright and T2 diagonal without corrector, but with the 1.5x (sold as 1.7x) corrector, it was fine. The Telementor 2 / Telemator has the internal focuser, which works extremely well. It has about 160mm back focus. I can reach focus with the Baader Maxbright and T2 diagonal without corrector with some eyepieces, but others require the 1.25x corrector.

The T-mount is almost without equal. The setting circles are 4.5" in diameter and highly accurate. You can use them to polar align in daylight with enough accuracy to use them to dial in stars and planets in daytime. I've used my Telemator to split Castor in the early afternoon.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Milling tolerances for Jaegers objective cell new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5675427 - 02/12/13 09:06 AM

I am sure that both the T1 and T2 focusing mechanisms are excellent. I am just used to the eyepiece moving rather than the objective (although I do have 1 Mak, a Lomo which is related to post-war Zeiss and works wonderfully as well). I also have heard how wonderfully the helical focuser works. I can't wait to receive it. The mount too. I will start its own thread when it comes.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5675983 - 02/12/13 02:44 PM

When you first see or use the Telementor 2 or Telemator with the internal focuser, your first thought is "what the heck is going on", but later you learn to value it, as it makes for a rock-solid bomb-proof attachment of heavy accesories, without having to worry about focuser slip and sag.

Very few 60mm's can take a binoviewer+diagonal+adapters+2x25mm LER Zeiss eyepieces. Or a 30mm ES82 2" eyepiece and 2" Baader diagonal.

The only negative I can say about it is that it's a little too coarse, but other than that, it works like a dream. Here Zeiss was *really* thinking outside the box and came up with something truly brilliant and elegant. An engineering masterpiece.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1823

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics