Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
MAGNETARZ
journeyman

Reged: 12/19/12

Bubble in pitch
      #5673577 - 02/11/13 07:29 AM

Friend i am at my 2nd mirror polishing 8" F/8. After pouring pitch in mould it has formed 4 small bubble. After cooling those bubble became sharp.

Can i use carborundum stone to level all those 4 bubble to make it flat surface?

Thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
siriusandthepup
sage

Reged: 02/14/06

Loc: Central Texas, USA
Re: Bubble in pitch new [Re: MAGNETARZ]
      #5673593 - 02/11/13 07:57 AM

I would not use that stone on your lap. You might drop some grit from the stone and that could scratch your mirror during polishing.

Trim the bubbles with a knife or razor blade, then press the lap with your mirror as normal.

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
Re: Bubble in pitch new [Re: siriusandthepup]
      #5674299 - 02/11/13 03:54 PM

You can actually fill these bubbles if they are of appreciable size. Small bubbles, below 1/4" should be left alone; they don't factor into getting a good figure at all.

For those BIG ones, you can slightly heat up some pitch until it is like warm taffy and won't hurt your hands and stuff a wad into your lap so it is slightly higher than the general curve of the lap.

Gently hot press, (I like to think of it as "warm" pressing), and the bubbles will fill in to the level of your lap. There may be a round seam, but after an hour of polishing, you might have a very hard time trying to see it.

Try it and see!

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
Re: Bubble in pitch new [Re: ed_turco]
      #5674451 - 02/11/13 04:58 PM

Now that I am thinking of it, you might have the opposite problem of bubbles rising above the surface of the pitch. In all cases these are air bubbles. Gently "pop" them with a razor blade and then press to see if any pockets need filling in, as mentioned above.

If these bubbles are solid, you've got something in your pitch that doesn't belong there, but this is very unlikely to happen.

Ed

MAGNETARZ
journeyman

Re: Bubble in pitch new [Re: ed_turco]
      #5675009 - 02/11/13 11:51 PM

Thank you, let me try with razor blade and see if it goes or not. Bubbles are looking very hard.

MAGNETARZ
journeyman

#5675365 - 02/12/13 07:40 AM

I have cut the bubble using razor but their it forms a small hole. Do i need to pour pitch to fill those holes?

neo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/12/08

Loc: Iasi, Romania
      #5675772 - 02/12/13 12:42 PM

I was going to say the same thing as Ed did .
How big are the holes? A picture would help.
Not a big problem, fill them up with a tiny bit of pitch and do a worm press untill the surface is even and you're ready to polish. Anyway you'll discover as you polish that the lap will get thinner after so much pressing and channel recutting so the small holes will disappear.

StarDusty
sage

Reged: 10/02/07

Loc: Parsippany, NJ
Re: Bubble in pitch new [Re: neo]
      #5676742 - 02/12/13 10:41 PM

If the bubble is into the pitch forming a trapped air pocket, I would just connect the pocketed area to the nearest pitch groove by cutting a channel to the groove with a razor blade. If you haven't cut your grooves yet, see if you can locate one of your grooves right through the bubbled area. I have found that small pockets will eventually pressed out by the end of polishing.

Here is a link to a pitch lap making tutorial

http://www.clearskyobserver.com/index.php/20-telescopemaking/13-mirror-making...

MAGNETARZ
journeyman

Re: Bubble in pitch new [Re: StarDusty]
      #5676817 - 02/12/13 11:37 PM

Thanks it solved during hot pressing all the holes dissapear. Now its very smooth

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 522

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics