Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
tnranger

Reged: 01/14/12

Eyepiece orientation in eyepiece case
      #5673870 - 02/11/13 11:25 AM

I found the iconic Harbor Freight aluminum tool case that I am about to modify for eyepiece storage. I am trying to decide if I should have the eyepieces laying down, or standing up. I can get more stuff in the case (finder, COL hand piece, collimation tools, etc.) if they are standing up. I was thinking I could make a frame with 1.25" holes and pad around them, but then worried the eyepieces would not be as protected as if they were laying down.

Any opinions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Eyepiece orientation in eyepiece case new [Re: tnranger]
      #5674189 - 02/11/13 02:58 PM

I've done it both ways and prefer them standing up to save space. I've since moved up to a Pelican 1550 for eyepieces but still have one of the Lowes cases that I bought 15 years ago holding accessories.

For this topic you'd probably get more responses in the eyepiece forum.

tnranger

Re: Eyepiece orientation in eyepiece case new [Re: JimMo]
      #5674403 - 02/11/13 04:39 PM

Good idea, Jim. I'll do just that.

Thanks.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5677126 - 02/13/13 07:26 AM

Quote:

I found the iconic Harbor Freight aluminum tool case that I am about to modify for eyepiece storage. I am trying to decide if I should have the eyepieces laying down, or standing up. I can get more stuff in the case (finder, COL hand piece, collimation tools, etc.) if they are standing up. I was thinking I could make a frame with 1.25" holes and pad around them, but then worried the eyepieces would not be as protected as if they were laying down.

Any opinions?

I lay mine down flat.

- I think it is more secure, big, heavy eyepieces need to lie flat in a foam case, there is not enough surface to support a 2.3 lbs eyepiece like the 20mm Type 2 Nagler.

- My main case already weighs close to 20 lbs when loaded, that's enough. I am not trying to pack all my eyepieces and tools in one case. My eyepieces are in sets so if want my Naglers, I grab one case, if I want my Orthos, it's another case.

- The big reason though is that when I am observing out in the mountains where it can be dry and dusty or cold and damp, if an eyepiece is not in a focuser, it's in the case with the lid shut. If they stored horizontally, it's a lot easier, they just lie in the slots and it's no wear and tear on the foam.

Jon

Tom Clark
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/14/07

Loc: North of Deming, NM
Re: Eyepiece orientation in eyepiece case new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5677250 - 02/13/13 09:05 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

This home-made box is about 20 years old. It has over 100,000 miles on it bouncing around in a storage bay of our RV. No foam, no eyepiece caps to take on and off all night long, provides for instant eyepiece changes, and never once an eyepiece scratched in all those years.

Also. eyepieces come and go over the years. The bottom inside section can be replaced anytime when you want to rearrange your eyepieces. No foam to get dirty or wear out.

I use a 2" hole saw and sand the holes out so they the eyepieces just slide in and out. That way they cannot tip over.

Also, when the lid is opened dimable led's light up the interior so you can see things.

The two handles are on the sides of the bottom half of the case. With a top handle sooner or later you will grab the case to put it back in the car, and the eyepieces will roll every where, because you forgot to latch the case closed.

tnranger

Re: Eyepiece orientation in eyepiece case new [Re: Tom Clark]
      #5677526 - 02/13/13 11:44 AM

That is a sweet (and simple) case, Tom!

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
      #5678297 - 02/13/13 08:23 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

"Also. eyepieces come and go over the years. The bottom inside section can be replaced anytime when you want to rearrange your eyepieces. No foam to get dirty or wear out.

I use a 2" hole saw and sand the holes out so they the eyepieces just slide in and out. That way they cannot tip over."

I use the same approach, but my case is not nearly as nice.

Luigi
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/07

Loc: MA
Re: Eyepiece orientation in eyepiece case new [Re: Pat at home]
      #5682173 - 02/15/13 07:03 PM

I have mine lying on their sides. I can feel for them and grab them in the dark without sticking my finger on a lens.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Eyepiece orientation in eyepiece case new [Re: Luigi]
      #5682394 - 02/15/13 09:29 PM

Quote:

I have mine lying on their sides. I can feel for them and grab them in the dark without sticking my finger on a lens.

Jon

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Eyepiece orientation in eyepiece case new [Re: Pat at home]
      #5682605 - 02/15/13 11:40 PM

Quote:

"Also. eyepieces come and go over the years. The bottom inside section can be replaced anytime when you want to rearrange your eyepieces. No foam to get dirty or wear out.

I use a 2" hole saw and sand the holes out so they the eyepieces just slide in and out. That way they cannot tip over."

I use the same approach, but my case is not nearly as nice.

Its ruggedly handsom for a simple wooden case......and after all beauty is only wood deep.

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 752

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics