Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
Madratter
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/13

Deforking Powerstar III 8"
      #5674117 - 02/11/13 01:56 PM

I want to defork my Celestron Powerstar III, 8". I want to mount it on my CG-5. As far as I can tell, Celestron only sells CGE dovetails at this point (and I have one).

Options are to either use the CGE dovetail and an adaptor to Vixen style, or find a vixen style dovetail that will mount directly. I know Farpoint sells one for about 75$. Frankly that seems out of line with the cost of what I paid for the CGE dovetail. However, it is in line with the cost of the adapter.

Any suggestions. This problem has to come up constantly, but I just can't find a cheaper solution.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Deforking Powerstar III 8" new [Re: Madratter]
      #5674449 - 02/11/13 04:58 PM

There are plenty of alternatives. Starting with Scopestuff.com, ADM, and Losmandy.

Madratter
Post Laureate

Re: Deforking Powerstar III 8" new [Re: rmollise]
      #5674796 - 02/11/13 09:00 PM

Quote:

There are plenty of alternatives. Starting with Scopestuff.com, ADM, and Losmandy.

Thanks. And by the way, I enjoy your blog a great deal.

I had seen the Scopestuff and Losmandy versions but not the ADM. Unfortunately, none of them are near as cheap as what I paid for a much better CGE (Losmandy) dovetail. It makes no sense, but it is what it is.

I have bought a couple of things recently in part because of your blog. (Skytools, and Nebulosity). Some of your posts on the CG-5 also were read with great interest since I was getting a scope that used one.

Edited by Madratter (02/11/13 09:03 PM)

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Deforking Powerstar III 8" new [Re: Madratter]
      #5675553 - 02/12/13 10:32 AM

I've adapted the ScopeStuff $24 Vixen format bar by machining a flat on the end of the bar and fitting a custom machined radius block. Figure the machine time is worth about $50-75 and I get a functional, but less than professional looking product. So when I see a dovetail setup for a C8 come up for under $50 I jump on it.

A friend just bolted a short Vixen format bar to the under side of the CGE bar.

Or eBay the mount and you'll get the funds for a decent bar.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Deforking Powerstar III 8" new [Re: Geo.]
      #5675715 - 02/12/13 12:12 PM

Quote:

I've adapted the ScopeStuff $24 Vixen format bar by machining a flat on the end of the bar and fitting a custom machined radius block.

I've used the Scopestuff bar for years and it works fine. Not sure what you had to customize and modify. Mine worked fine outa the box...

Madratter
Post Laureate

#5678153 - 02/13/13 06:40 PM

Well, I have gone ahead and ordered the Scopestuff kit. I'm still a little boggled that adding a Vixen style dovetail is a 79$ proposition (MDC8) instead of adding a Losmandy style dovetail at 32.99$. Especially since the Losmandy style dovetail is so much more substantial.

Edited by Madratter (02/13/13 06:41 PM)

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5679339 - 02/14/13 12:17 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Quote:

I've used the Scopestuff bar for years and it works fine. Not sure what you had to customize and modify. Mine worked fine outa the box...

The bar will not bolt directly to the 1.75" O.C. mounting holes found on most C8s, some form of radius block is needed. I started with the type in the photo, but have changed my approach every time I've done the job. A mill [insent] isn't necessary to cut the 4.5625" radius, but I found runnig the aluminum bar over a 10" table saw blade at an angle a bit too exciting. The mill is slower and setup for a one off is a PITA. So I'm still trying to come up with an easier way to get this done.

I find that by machining a flat on the dovetail bar I can get it closer to the tube, eliminating a front block and reducing flexure. This also lets me use 5/16-3/8" aluminum bar, which is more common in the offcuts at the metals monger and makes the connection to the block more secure. At this point I am using 3/16" rivets to fix the dovetail bar to the block.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Deforking Powerstar III 8" new [Re: Geo.]
      #5679477 - 02/14/13 01:28 PM

The hardware I received with the Scopestuff rail worked fine. No mods nor extra parts required. Two bolts are used as stabilizers in lieu of a radius block, and nothing else was needed...

Madratter
Post Laureate

#5682464 - 02/15/13 10:15 PM

I got the Scopestuff dovetail and mounting plate today and put it together. It required more hands than I had (I needed to borrow my wife to help), but it went together nicely and seems quite secure.

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 463

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics