Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1
bob irvin
sage

Reged: 03/22/11

Loc: Greater Los Angeles, CA
M79
      #5674282 - 02/11/13 03:44 PM

M79 is a Globular cluster in Lepus and is south of Orion. Saw it for the first time Saturday night. It's fairly low on the horizon from my driveway where I nornally view so it was a very cool find. Used my Z10 Dob., best views were with an ES 11mm, very cool views. I find globular clusters one of the more interesting DSOs for me right now AND I can see them pretty well from my light polluted driveway.

Interesting side note this is one of two globulars that are considered to be no-native to the Milky Way, the other being M54.

clear skies & low horizons.

bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: M79 new [Re: bob irvin]
      #5674353 - 02/11/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

Interesting side note this is one of two globulars that are considered to be no-native to the Milky Way, the other being M54.

Interesting; I hadn't heard that about M79.

However, there are quite a number of non-Messier globulars that are very strongly suspected of being dwarf-galaxy cores, most famously Omega Centauri.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #5674426 - 02/11/13 04:47 PM

That's news to me about M-79 Bob, but M-54 belongs to the Sagittarius Dwarf, which is being swallowed by the Milky Way. However, NGC-5139, NGC-288, and NG-5466 are globulars that either are the possible remnants of long gone dwarf galaxies torn apart by the Milky Way, or they originated in another galaxy before they became incorporated into our own. NGC-288 might be such an object because it orbits the Milky Way in the opposite direction of it's rotation. With regards to M-79 itself, it's a nice object at high power through a large telescope. Moreover, stars like Arcturus are also possible stars that formed in another galaxy, before being assimilated into ours.

Taras

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: M79 new [Re: Achernar]
      #5674596 - 02/11/13 06:34 PM

Any resolution with your 10" dob? I was viewing it myself with my TV 102 the other night--in a scope that size, it's just a blob of light; looking back through my logs for the past few years, i've looked at it many times with small refractors, but, oddly, never with a larger instrument. I think it was one of those M-objects I checked off, decided was boring, and never really put much effort into. Maybe the fact it's so low in my sky made me lose interest.

Bill

David Castillo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/06

Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca
Re: M79 new [Re: la200o]
      #5674678 - 02/11/13 07:36 PM

Love those globs Too bad there aren't more out in the winter.
-----
Dave

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: M79 new [Re: David Castillo]
      #5674728 - 02/11/13 08:08 PM

I saw M79 for the first time last week it reminded me of M13. I also saw M93 that night which I found very beautiful even with light pollution be sure to give M93 a look.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: M79 new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5675048 - 02/12/13 12:16 AM

M79 happened to be one of the 51 Messier objects that I observed on Saturday night using 8x42 and 12x60 binoculars. At 12x, it was small but readily discernible.

Dave Mitsky

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: M79 new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5675101 - 02/12/13 01:05 AM

It is suspected that Messier 79, NGC 2298 in Puppis (can be viewed currently and this globular is considered in the stages of dissolution) NGC 2808 and NGC 1851 are all original members of the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy that is interacting currently with the Milky Way. Steve G. gives an interesting observation of this GC in the NGC/IC database. So if one views M79 it migt be fun to go and take a peak at NGC 2298. You can find the info here at this link or if interested there are a couple of professional papers that mention NGC 2298 and Messier 79.

Dennis_S253
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: West Central Florida
Re: M79 new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5675109 - 02/12/13 01:08 AM

I always like reading Messier's comments on a lot of his findings. A nebula without a center star...or a nebula with a center star... I guess if it was a grey fuzzy it was a nebula. I just like saying it's so sweet, thinking I'm seeing light from 41000 years ago.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #5675412 - 02/12/13 08:53 AM

Under good skies, it breaks up nicely around the outer regions into stars through a 10-inch at 200X. Through a 15-inch at 300X it resolves to the core. If you have dark skies, it will resolve nicely through an 8 or 10-inch at high magnifications, and I have seen signs of resolution along the edges through a 6-inch when the skies are dark and clear. But through a small telescope at lower magnifications, it does look more like a comet than a globular.

Taras

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
      #5677331 - 02/13/13 10:00 AM

just saw this again recently too. cool. not much resolution as i recall.. my nites suck. i also have a very limited view of that southerly patch of sky so i was pleased to see it for the same reasons you mention bob!

bob irvin
sage

#5689063 - 02/19/13 03:11 PM

Quote:

Any resolution with your 10" dob? I was viewing it myself with my TV 102 the other night--in a scope that size, it's just a blob of light; looking back through my logs for the past few years, i've looked at it many times with small refractors, but, oddly, never with a larger instrument. I think it was one of those M-objects I checked off, decided was boring, and never really put much effort into. Maybe the fact it's so low in my sky made me lose interest.

Bill

No real resolution, just a fuzzy ball. The best view was with an ES 11mm wide angle wich gives about 100x in the Z10.

bob

bob irvin
sage

#5689075 - 02/19/13 03:16 PM

Quote:

Under good skies, it breaks up nicely around the outer regions into stars through a 10-inch at 200X. Through a 15-inch at 300X it resolves to the core. Taras

I'll have to kick up the Magnification and try again. I was afraid it would end up too dark to see much that high, I guesss I need to have more "faith" and pop in those short eyepieces.

b

drbyyz
sage

Reged: 11/04/12

#5689078 - 02/19/13 03:20 PM

My notes on this object are that it was "grainy, but not resolved" and "not perfectly circular." I recorded the conditions as being fairly poor, so perhaps I'll give this one another look next time it clears up(which doesn't appear to be soon).

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: M79 new [Re: drbyyz]
      #5689170 - 02/19/13 04:06 PM

Quote:

My notes on this object are that it was "grainy, but not resolved" and "not perfectly circular." I recorded the conditions as being fairly poor, so perhaps I'll give this one another look next time it clears up(which doesn't appear to be soon).

M79 was one of the DSOs that I observed the last time I was at the Naylor Observatory. Through a 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain at 162x, it looked much the same as you described. The conditions were also less than perfect at the time.

Dave Mitsky

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: M79 new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5689214 - 02/19/13 04:26 PM

This is the last Messier globular I have left in my lifetime goal of seeing as many of the globular star clusters that orbit the Milky Way that I can.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: M79 new [Re: David Castillo]
      #5689243 - 02/19/13 04:39 PM

Quote:

Love those globs Too bad there aren't more out in the winter.
-----
Dave

Well, a great many of them are already up in early February, high enough to decently view - provided you go out in the wee hours between 3am and dawn. In addition to stalwards M3 and M13, the other night I saw M10 (or perhaps M12) in Ophiuchus and M56 in Lyra. With less obstructed/light polluted southern horizons, I probably could have seen several more.

Other than the chilly weather, on a clear night this is one of the most versatile times of the year (no accident that the Messier Marathon is typically in March)...winter constellations early, spring constellations middle of the night, summer constellations later on in the night.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 775

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics