Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
CNN -- duh!
      #5674442 - 02/11/13 04:56 PM

CNN anchor asks Bill Nye if recent asteroid flyby was caused by global warming:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-02/cnn-anchor-wonders-bill-nye-did...

Ah the dense popular media and science . . .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
photonovore
Moonatic

Reged: 12/24/04

Loc: tacoma wa
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5674709 - 02/11/13 07:55 PM

Bill Nye is just as bad with less of an excuse...parroting that 'city killer'/Tunguska hype--and he even tacked on the Barringer crater for good measure! LOL! I have been waiting for someone to do that...

Mike Casey

Reged: 11/11/04

Loc: El Pueblo de Nuestra SeƱora l...
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: photonovore]
      #5675138 - 02/12/13 01:28 AM

I wonder if the government would try to withhold news as long as possible of an upcoming serious asteroid strike?

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5675140 - 02/12/13 01:29 AM

Quote:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-02/cnn-anchor-wonders-bill-nye-did...

Oh, that's just a simple example of the gap between the media and science which has been going on for many decades. I remember watching coverage of the flyby of Pioneer 11 past Saturn in September of 1979, and a lady doing an interview of one of the project scientists asked something like, "In view of the recent Three Mile Island disaster, what is the concern about Pioneer 11's nuclear power source coming back to Earth after the Saturn encounter?". After hearing that, I just sat there stunned.....

Moondoggy
sage

Reged: 03/17/08

Loc: Jack Daniels Country
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5675247 - 02/12/13 04:32 AM

There is an Old saying. "You just can't fix STUPID"

Also as Sargent Friday used to say in Dragnet,or paraphrase,"The Facts -Just the Facts"

CNN as well as many other News outlets are becoming more like the National Enquireror.
Sorry for the poor grammer, I deal with dislexia..

Jarad
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/03

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: Mike Casey]
      #5675373 - 02/12/13 07:56 AM

Quote:

I wonder if the government would try to withhold news as long as possible of an upcoming serious asteroid strike?

#1 - Why would they do that? The government response would be to prepare as best as possible, and the more time and warning we have the more people we could save.

#2 - How would they do that? Any astronomer who tracks it can calculate the orbit. Every country has professional astronomers, and you would have to keep all of them silent. Do you think that every professional astronomer in the world is willing to be part of a conspiracy to cover up an event like this?

Jarad

Mister T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: Jarad]
      #5675435 - 02/12/13 09:19 AM

And all you would need is one "news" type to catch a whiff and it would spread like wildfire!

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: Moondoggy]
      #5675643 - 02/12/13 11:29 AM

Quote:

There is an Old saying. "You just can't fix STUPID"

Also as Sargent Friday used to say in Dragnet,or paraphrase,"The Facts -Just the Facts"

CNN as well as many other News outlets are becoming more like the National Enquireror.
Sorry for the poor grammer, I deal with dislexia..

LOL

photonovore
Moonatic

#5675660 - 02/12/13 11:41 AM

Quote:

I can't imagine why? In the case of an impactor that was subject to mitigation (such as DA14 if it were to be on an impact path), they would get a lot more good PR out of extensively publicizing the impending impact as well as the measures they could and would make happen to prevent/mitigate it. Maybe they could get Bruce Willis to do the public service ads...

LivingNDixieModerator
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
      #5675780 - 02/12/13 12:46 PM

At least CNN is covering the flyby, more then I can say about the other two large cable networks.

Not a big fan of Bill Nye but he is at least not as obnoxious as Phil Plait. Nye did a lot of good with his old children's program back in the day.

I agree with others, it would be pretty hard to hide a possible impact from the public if someone had observed the object and determined the orbit.

D_talley
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/05

Loc: Richmond VA
      #5675836 - 02/12/13 01:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I can't imagine why? In the case of an impactor that was subject to mitigation (such as DA14 if it were to be on an impact path), they would get a lot more good PR out of extensively publicizing the impending impact as well as the measures they could and would make happen to prevent/mitigate it. Maybe they could get Bruce Willis to do the public service ads...

It may depend on the amount of time before the impact. The impact of 2008 TC3 was only briefed to the white house, but there was only 20 hours from discovery to impact.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5675852 - 02/12/13 01:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

#1 - Why would they do that? The government response would be to prepare as best as possible, and the more time and warning we have the more people we could save.

#2 - How would they do that? Any astronomer who tracks it can calculate the orbit. Every country has professional astronomers, and you would have to keep all of them silent. Do you think that every professional astronomer in the world is willing to be part of a conspiracy to cover up an event like this?

Jarad

Thanks, Jared. I was trying to think of a kind comment to make to the original quote. My thoughts were, "Oh good grief!" But you handled it well.

deSitter
Still in Old School

Reged: 12/09/04

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: D_talley]
      #5675857 - 02/12/13 01:23 PM

*good lord* {pounds head into wall)

-drl

sirchz

Reged: 09/21/09

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5675915 - 02/12/13 01:56 PM

Quote:

I remember watching coverage of the flyby of Pioneer 11 past Saturn in September of 1979, and a lady doing an interview of one of the project scientists asked something like, "In view of the recent Three Mile Island disaster, what is the concern about Pioneer 11's nuclear power source coming back to Earth after the Saturn encounter?". After hearing that, I just sat there stunned.....

Clearly she missed the real risk of these probes. Just wait until Voyager returns in the 23rd century as V'Ger!

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5676205 - 02/12/13 04:27 PM

Quote:

Bill Nye is just as bad with less of an excuse...parroting that 'city killer'/Tunguska hype--and he even tacked on the Barringer crater for good measure! LOL! I have been waiting for someone to do that...

Please bring me up to speed. Just what was wrong in Nye mentioning those events?

http://www.space.com/19733-asteroid-2012-da14-earth-flyby-faq.html

NASA astronomers have compared the size of this asteroid with the one that caused the "Tunguska Event" over Siberia in 1908 that leveled trees across 825 square miles (2,137 square km).

Instead of smacking into the Earth's surface, asteroid 2012 DA14 would likely explode in midair, likely destroying whatever happens to be underneath it over a wide swath.

Dave Mitsky

brentwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/05

Loc: BC Canada
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5676353 - 02/12/13 05:43 PM

Earlier this morning I looked at this video on CNN and I noticed that they now start it AFTER the silly question!

Scott Horstman
Vendor - Backyard Observatories

Reged: 03/11/04

Loc: Here, There and Everywhere
      #5676538 - 02/12/13 08:29 PM

Quote:

Given some of the replies to your post, Mike, it would seem a lot of people have more confidence than we do in the government serving us rather than themselves.

photonovore
Moonatic

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5676601 - 02/12/13 09:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Please bring me up to speed. Just what was wrong in Nye mentioning those events?

http://www.space.com/19733-asteroid-2012-da14-earth-flyby-faq.html

NASA astronomers have compared the size of this asteroid with the one that caused the "Tunguska Event" over Siberia in 1908 that leveled trees across 825 square miles (2,137 square km).

Instead of smacking into the Earth's surface, asteroid 2012 DA14 would likely explode in midair, likely destroying whatever happens to be underneath it over a wide swath.

Dave Mitsky

Because, as near as I can tell, he was parroting what appears to be on closer analysis, exaggerated hype.
DA14 flyby & NASA's devastation predictions

LivingNDixieModerator
TSP Chowhound

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: Scott Horstman]
      #5677467 - 02/13/13 11:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Given some of the replies to your post, Mike, it would seem a lot of people have more confidence than we do in the government serving us rather than themselves.

You give "the government" too much credit. It would take a world wide conspiracy to hide a possible impact if the orbit of an object was determined to be a possible impact. I just don't see that happening.

Matthew Ota
Hmmm

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5677937 - 02/13/13 04:13 PM

1. Remember Bill Nye is an entertainer, not a scientist
2. We here at CN know much more about astronomy & space science than most journalists and also the general public. When the media gets astronomy & space news wrong, it makes me wonder how accurate they are in subjects that I am ignorant in...

photonovore
Moonatic

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: Matthew Ota]
      #5678413 - 02/13/13 09:36 PM

Quote:

When the media gets astronomy & space news wrong, it makes me wonder how accurate they are in subjects that I am ignorant in...

Boy howdy!

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
      #5678419 - 02/13/13 09:41 PM

That said, we're all more ignorant than we are knowledgeable, so while we should do our best to correct mis-statements by entertainers and even those who should know better, let's not make it personal.

These guys are trying to get people interested in science, just as we are. Expert knowledge is not a requirement. Enthusiasm is. We can always correct the knowledge part. It's hard to resurrect lost enthusiasm.

aezoss

Reged: 03/27/11

Loc: The Great White North
      #5678691 - 02/14/13 01:24 AM

It actually sounds like an improv seque that just didn't work out as intended. I think she was trying to get a laugh out of Nye but her delivery was just too dead pan for him to process. She should have stuck to the prompter text.

In the broadcaster's defense, these flourishes can be hard to execute well 100% of the time, particularly if the studio is on a tight production schedule and they can't do 20 takes of the same 5 minute segment.

I wouldn't be surprised if she facepalmed when they cut. It could have been the producer who made the call... 90% accurate, good enough, have to move on to a completely unrelated subject - which the anchor may also know as much or as little as giant space rocks falling from the sky.

Maybe I'm giving CNN too much credit.

Lee

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: aezoss]
      #5678966 - 02/14/13 08:46 AM

Well remember we are taling about television news here, where appearance and hair are more important than brainpower. There's a Miss America reject doing news in just about every major market in the country. They could not get hired to empty trash at a real newspaper.

brentwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/05

Loc: BC Canada
      #5679302 - 02/14/13 12:00 PM

On the other hand, a reporter is supposed to ask the questions that the viewing audience would ask.

Mister T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: brentwood]
      #5679606 - 02/14/13 02:21 PM

hopefully with a little discretion ...

TL2101
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/10

Loc: Concord, CA
      #5680152 - 02/14/13 08:14 PM

Quote:

She got it close, global warming occurs immediately after an asteroid impact.

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: aezoss]
      #5680425 - 02/14/13 11:30 PM

Quote:

It actually sounds like an improv seque that just didn't work out as intended. I think she was trying to get a laugh out of Nye but her delivery was just too dead pan for him to process. She should have stuck to the prompter text.

In the broadcaster's defense, these flourishes can be hard to execute well 100% of the time, particularly if the studio is on a tight production schedule and they can't do 20 takes of the same 5 minute segment.

I wouldn't be surprised if she facepalmed when they cut. It could have been the producer who made the call... 90% accurate, good enough, have to move on to a completely unrelated subject - which the anchor may also know as much or as little as giant space rocks falling from the sky.

Maybe I'm giving CNN too much credit.

Lee

That's a pretty reasonable interpretation. Again, we should not be too quick to judge. Most of us would be surprised at how poorly we would do in similar circumstances -- on either side of the interview.

Putting together a coherent forum post is far easier. And we swing wide of that mark all too often as well.

ggiles

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Trenton Ontario Canada
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5681019 - 02/15/13 09:51 AM

... okay after the little blast in Russia ... Bill may be right about it being a city killer.

Just saying.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
      #5681136 - 02/15/13 10:48 AM

Quote:

How FOX like

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: moynihan]
      #5684722 - 02/17/13 07:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

How FOX like

HA! They're even smarter than that, most of the time... But CNN, I gave up on a long time ago.

Scott Horstman

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: moynihan]
      #5685482 - 02/17/13 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How FOX like

Yeah, Megan Fox isn't that bright but easy on the eyes.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

#5685671 - 02/17/13 06:14 PM

Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Oort Cloud 9
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5685678 - 02/17/13 06:17 PM

Fox? What's that?

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

#5686024 - 02/17/13 09:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How FOX like

Yeah, Megan Fox isn't that bright but easy on the eyes.

Nyah, the older I get the more my eyes and ears end up being connected. Some people are only easy on the eyes if the volume is turned all the way down.

Scott Horstman

#5686042 - 02/17/13 09:49 PM

I see what you're hearin', you hear what I'm seein'?.

LivingNDixieModerator
TSP Chowhound

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: ggiles]
      #5689240 - 02/19/13 04:38 PM

Quote:

... okay after the little blast in Russia ... Bill may be right about it being a city killer.

Just saying.

I don't know about city killer, but imagine had that happened over LA or NYC

LivingNDixieModerator
TSP Chowhound

#5689250 - 02/19/13 04:46 PM

Quote:

I see what you're hearin', you hear what I'm seein'?.

All the hot women in the news business are on The Weather Channel. No really trust me on this. Getting the TWC in HD, I have never been more interested in Fargo SD weather till Stephanie Abrams talks about it.

CNN has some lady during the day that is on around noon that is pretty hot too. Can't remember her name though.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5689601 - 02/19/13 07:56 PM

Edited by mich_al (02/20/13 09:21 AM)

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: mich_al]
      #5690031 - 02/20/13 12:22 AM

ahem...

Keep it on topic, indeed -- and this is not just a boys club, BTW.

wirenut
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/21/06

Loc: m'dale Pa
      #5690980 - 02/20/13 02:07 PM

Quote:

I think they would try to hide it depending on a couple of things like how big, how much time before it hits. if it's a Tunguska event they would notify and try to evacuate if time allowed, if it's a true doomsday event I'd think they'd try to suppress it since nothing could be done and we all go nuts knowing our end was near.

Jarad
Postmaster

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: wirenut]
      #5691135 - 02/20/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

If it's a true doomsday event I'd think they'd try to suppress it since nothing could be done and we all go nuts knowing our end was near.

Again, if they only get a few hours notice they could probably keep it quiet. More because they wouldn't really have an efficient way to broadcast it that quickly even if they wanted to than out of secrecy, but they could probably do it.

But a true doomsday impact means a large object, which means it can be seen coming from farther away, which means that lots of astronomers in lots of countries are likely to see it. Even if some governments decide to try to suppress information like this, I don't see how they could succeed. Some other government or some non-government observers (professional and amateur) will see it and speak up.

Look at how effective government officials have been at covering up their affairs, misuse of campaign funds, etc. If they can't keep secrets that start with only 2 or 3 people, how do you think they could manage to keep a secret with something that thousands will know about?

I wish that they were really that competent. And that stable - if you think knowing that the end is near will make the rest of us go nuts, what makes you think that the government officials who find out first won't go nuts too? Half of them would probably run out and immediately announce that the impactor is divine punishment for the sins of those who disagree with their religion and/or politics, and proves that they were right.

Jarad

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5691343 - 02/20/13 05:07 PM

Quote:

I wish that they were really that competent.
Jarad

Careful what you wish for...that is a really scary thought!

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5691814 - 02/20/13 09:54 PM

If competence is scary, then I'm sure we'll all be able to rest easy tonight.

Jarad
Postmaster

#5692277 - 02/21/13 07:21 AM

Okay, it looks like Scott Adams has been reading this thread...
Dilbert is in on the conspiracy

Jarad

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2176

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics