Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Telescope balancing
      #5674715 - 02/11/13 07:59 PM

A quick question to the brain trust. On starizona web page it shows to verticle balance first then lateral. My question is that after verticle balance are you supposed to leave weight receiver there and just keep adding weights to get lateral balance,, or after verticle balance move weight post to where balances the best and add more weights if necessary? I have CPC 9.25 wedge mount with Orion 80 mm scope on top and to get lateral balance weight mount is all the way back with 7.5 lbs

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Telescope balancing new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5674827 - 02/11/13 09:23 PM

In vertical balance position you are checking for balance per the distance of the counterweight from the OTA . . . so you move the weight in and out on the stationary rod. In horizontal you are checking balance per front and back so you move the whole counterweight assembly forward or backward along the dovetail plate. However that procedure is for fork mounted SCTs. I am not sure how accurate it is for a scope on a wedge. The weight on/weight off procedure can apply in either position but it is mostly for the vertical. Also in horizontal remember you can also adjust the piggyback OTA forward or backward as you fiddle with the counterweighht system underneath.

1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Telescope balancing new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5675289 - 02/12/13 05:52 AM

It doesn't matter if the scope is on a wedge or in alt/az on a tripod the sequence is the same. The Sarizona page shows the fork mounted scope on a wedge during balancing. You're balancing it in relation to the pull of gravity, not the relationship to the angle of the base.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Telescope balancing new [Re: 1965healy]
      #5675518 - 02/12/13 10:11 AM

Thank you both for the help, I was asking because for vertical balance use 5lb and is pretty centered, then when go to horiz. Balance weight is all the way back and is 7.5lb. And that is with repositioning Orion scope further back as well.. Just wanted to make sure was doing it right, thanks again. Kasey

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 599

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics