Observing >> Double Star Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: Caught the Pup for the First Time new [Re: Ed D]
      #5656014 - 02/01/13 10:18 AM

Sirius B always had an ice blue color to me like the hue glacial ice takes on, especially in big telescopes.

Taras

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Caught the Pup for the First Time new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5656702 - 02/01/13 04:33 PM

The Pup is grey-blue to my eyes too. Antares companion is green.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5657523 - 02/02/13 02:29 AM

Quote:

How have others seen the Pup's color? Sirius B is supposed to be a white dwarf. To me, it looked white with a definite tinge of light-blue. This was in all three telescopes and with all the eyepieces that would split it from Sirius.

Mike

Well, the term "white dwarf" refers to the type of star (an ancient collapsed one no longer producing energy by nuclear fusion) and not necessarily its color. White dwarfs can have color indices from nearly -1 (bluish) to around +1.4 (yellowish-orange), so they aren't exactly all "white". Sirius-B has a color index of -0.12, so it would definitely be a bluish-white color similar to that of Regulus or Lambda Tauri-A. Clear skies to you.

FlorinAndrei
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: California
      #5668238 - 02/08/13 01:42 AM

Quote:

The Pup star appeared to have a slightly light-blue tinge to my eyes. It also seemed to have this cast in the other two Dobs.

That seems normal, given its temperature of 25,000K.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I nabbed the Pup in the 6" newtonian - just for the challenge. Seeing was good but not outstanding, so I only had a few moments when I could see it appear out of nothing, faint but unmistakably round and at the correct distance from the primary, due east. The diffraction rings from the primary were quite steady when the Pup showed up, so I'm pretty sure the observation is legit.

I used 255x and 340x magnification that night, but I can't remember which one I was actually using when the Pup was peeking out from behind the veil of turbulence. Either way, the diffraction pattern was looking sharp at either magnification - to the extent allowed by turbulence.

I'm going to keep trying with the little scope until I catch a longer sequence of excellent seeing.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Caught the Pup for the First Time new [Re: FlorinAndrei]
      #5668459 - 02/08/13 08:23 AM

I recently tried to see the Pup star with my C6 here at home in a red zone. This was first light for the telescope. I had just star tested it and saw it has tight collimation and very good optics (no SA visible, smooth). But the seeing was only about 7/10 and we have a lot of ambient glare, so my expectations were not high for seeing the Pup. I did not spend much time on it. Though I did tease out the E and F Trapezium stars with no problem that night and saw about six bands on Jupiter.

I have the feeling that you might have better luck seeing the Pup with your 6" Newt - as long as the spider vanes are out of the way, and depending on the f/number - than with my 6" SCT. But this is my first SCT and I'm still finding out what I can expect from it.

Mike

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
      #5669625 - 02/08/13 07:03 PM

I feel the pup really needs 9+ seeing for mama to lift her skirts and show it to us. Anyone that has caught it even once has accomplished something.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Caught the Pup for the First Time new [Re: Achernar]
      #5671575 - 02/09/13 11:23 PM

I think the Pup is pretty easy with a 3" to 5" aperture at just 70-100x. I don't think high magnification is needed if you have an extremely high contrast, well-baffled scope. I plan on trying tonight with a 60mm.

Regards,

Jim

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Caught the Pup for the First Time new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5671769 - 02/10/13 03:12 AM

Using my Carton 100mm f/13, I've caught the Pup on quite a few occassions since the start of this year.
I find that magnification around 100x work best with my scope.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Caught the Pup for the First Time new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5672192 - 02/10/13 11:40 AM

Jim,

Quote:

I think the Pup is pretty easy with a 3" to 5" aperture at just 70-100x. I don't think high magnification is needed if you have an extremely high contrast, well-baffled scope. I plan on trying tonight with a 60mm.

I think the experience of the observer may have something to do with the difficulty of splitting Sirius or other double stars. I very seldom observe double stars. At home, I like to concentrate on the Moon and planets. At my dark site, I mostly observe galaxies, nebulae and difficult open clusters.

So for me, double stars are an afterthought. I very seldom bother with them. Even attempting the Pup on that night was a fluke. And the idea of trying to split a double with the lowest magnification or smallest aperture is something that is alien to my mind. I just don't do it. I was actually trying for the easiest and most pleasing view of the Pup! If I were to become more involved with doubles, I'd probably mostly view color contrast pairs and interesting multiple systems, at least at first.

Now, trying to see the faintest galaxies or nebulae with my telescope, that's something different. I can understand that.

Mike

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
      #5672543 - 02/10/13 03:12 PM

At my latitude Sirius is always low which makes it a tough split at the best of times. Also the angular separation varies quite a bit (from 3 to 11 arcsec according to Wikipedia), so the challenge changes along with it. At 3 arcsec it requires an aperature of 12". Currently I think it's near its maximum separation which allows much smaller instruments to participate in the hunt.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5674366 - 02/11/13 04:26 PM

One of the highlights of my trip to a very dark site on Saturday night was seeing Sirius B (the Pup), through a 22" SDM Dob (10mm Delos) and a 25" Obsession Dob (8 and 13mm Ethos).

Sirius B reaches a maximum separation of 11.5 arc seconds in 2025.

http://astroguyz.com/2010/04/19/astro-event-of-the-week-can-you-spy-sirius-b/

http://www.sydneyobservatory.com.au/2010/harry-sees-the-faint-companion-of-si...

Dave Mitsky

WRAK
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/18/12

#5675185 - 02/12/13 02:46 AM

Quote:

...So for me, double stars are an afterthought. ...Now, trying to see the faintest galaxies or nebulae with my telescope, that's something different...

Mike - with the C6 you mentioned visual observation could get quickly rather boring if you restrict yourself to "faintest galaxies or nebulae" while with doubles you have thousands of interesting targets available. So maybe thinking twice could be productive.
Wilfried

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Caught the Pup for the First Time [Re: WRAK]
      #5675330 - 02/12/13 06:52 AM

I always think twice ... at least. But did you forget about the Moon and planets? The Moon itself has thousands of interesting targets available.

Don't worry. I'll get around to all those pretty and interesting doubles. They aren't going anywhere.

Mike

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
      #5721368 - 03/08/13 11:11 PM

Mike,

Congratulations on the split! Sirius is one tough nut to crack, and am encouraged by your success. Jim's awful lucky to have those Californie skies, but I'm counting on his luck with smaller aperture instruments. Now if my windy, turbulent skies will calm down for a few minutes.

One night a wild young cowboy came in
Wild as the West Texas wind.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5721425 - 03/09/13 12:07 AM

Congrats Mike. The few times I tried this winter I got nothing but a beautifully flickering Sirius, bloated and colorful. I still hold out hope . I'm glad you got it.

Pete

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Caught the Pup for the First Time new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5721477 - 03/09/13 12:58 AM

I'm glad that the two other observers with me that night tried for the Pup first. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have even given it a thought. I guess sometimes we do get a night of good seeing in winter here in Maryland, but not very often. Mostly it's twinkle, twinkle little star until summer and fall.

Mike

cildastun

Reged: 08/08/12

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #5759590 - 03/27/13 05:13 AM

I've managed to catch the Pup four times this year with a 5" Mak; not easy here as Oxford, UK is 52 degrees lat, and Sirius is often a boiling ball! We've also had one of the least astronomy-friendly years on record.

The colour to me always seems slightly slate-blue, although that may be an artefact of the Mak which always shows faint stars slightly bluer than they really are, according to stella classification.

Chris

HCR32
sage

Reged: 08/27/10

Loc: Australia
Re: Caught the Pup for the First Time new [Re: cildastun]
      #5759652 - 03/27/13 07:16 AM

I had a go not long ago and from my location it almost over head. I thought I saw it but couldn't be sure because I was testing color performance of my scope. I was at around 280-300x with a160 f7. Who knows I should have paid more attention so I'm booking myself in again to see if I could see it. The only reason I question myself is I thought the magnification needed to be higher to see it?

Perigny270

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec
Re: Caught the Pup for the First Time new [Re: HCR32]
      #5778516 - 04/04/13 08:35 PM

Good thread here. I was pretty sure I had seen the pup a couple of nights ago, but now i am wondering. Seeing was excellent and I was using my 6.7mm and 4.7mm ES eyepieces. Jupiter was dancing with its moons. Rigel split clearly and cleanly. Barely made out trapezium e, but not f. Sirius was its usual bright blue and burbling somewhat at the 300-400X. It had a bulge to the SE that was farther out with the 4.7 than the 6.7. With the 4.7 and a UHC filter the second, smaller object was reddish. However, appeared to be a lot more than 1/10000 of the big blue spotlight, so I my have just been seeing an artifact of my optics. BTW, Rigel's companion was definitely miniscule and standing out separately, hence my new skepticism. This summer I am going after Antares with a green filter to cut down the glare. Any hints for the pup? Maybe my ED102 on its new mount (CT Duo-T) would be better...

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
Re: Caught the Pup for the First Time [Re: Perigny270]
      #5778694 - 04/04/13 10:10 PM

I recently posted a view here with my 75mm telescope. I removed my post when I couldn't duplicate it the next night with my 4 inch in similar conditions. The only view I've had so far that I have 100% confidence in is one with my 10 inch. In that view it was a tiny blue dot that was persistent. I'm sure as time goes by my small refractors will show it.
Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4740

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics