Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar Observing and Imaging

Pages: 1
bratboyy2k
journeyman

Reged: 01/30/13

modded PST or solarmax 60,etc? new
      #5674742 - 02/11/13 08:15 PM

hey folks, I'm just slipping back into observing the skies and I was interested in getting a solar telescope. I was looking at the various coronados out there and of course was impressed by the big n flashy telescopes. I noticed people were modding the PST scopes either by self hacking or buying an upgrade.

my question is, what are the pros and cons? I noticed that buying the mod or hacking a mod with a PST pushed the cost up there in the solarmax territory. Which way is a better route? Thank you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim Rosenstock
Postmaster

Reged: 07/14/05

Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula
Re: modded PST or solarmax 60,etc? new [Re: bratboyy2k]
      #5674775 - 02/11/13 08:45 PM

Well, old-school ATM'ers will always prefer the do-it-yourself route, but we're not allowed to even talk about that here...it's a lawyer thing, apparently.

Anyway, there are folks out there doing it, and you'll be able to find them. But not here....

In my opinion, though, if you want to jump in at a higher level than the good ol' PST, the next logical step is a Lunt 60. Just sayin'...

Jim

bratboyy2k
journeyman

Reged: 01/30/13

Re: modded PST or solarmax 60,etc? new [Re: Jim Rosenstock]
      #5674808 - 02/11/13 09:09 PM

I understand and being a law graduate I will state that I am asking this question in a PURELY hypothetically. I'm totally into the diy thing but tot pay the same for similar results never made sense to me. So I'm really hoping to get some answers in, of course, a purely hypothetical manner for I will never ever do such a project and never suggest anybody to but if I was to do so, which will never happen, I absolve any and all parties involved that are directly or I indirectly related to this board as random and amateur participants. Wow, that was clear and simple.

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: modded PST or solarmax 60,etc? new [Re: bratboyy2k]
      #5674907 - 02/11/13 10:19 PM

Too funny! DIY works well and “yes” the end cost is similar to a commercial system. So if you want to save yourself some time and frustration (of course that is where the fun is) and do outreach with some confidence in tested engineering, get the commercial device.

Many excellent mods have been presented elsewhere.

[TOS violation Link removed by Moderator]

I hope the posting etiquette is forgiven and you find the solution that is right for you.

Clear Skies!

Edited by Bowmoreman (02/12/13 11:48 AM)

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: modded PST or solarmax 60,etc? new [Re: sullij1]
      #5675230 - 02/12/13 04:03 AM

The alternative - if you already have a good quality small refractor, which many of us do - is to obtain a solar hydrogen alpha filter set, these are sold by Lunt and Solarscope and can deliver very good quality indeed at a price which is competitive. Lunt advertise a 50mm diameter front mounting etalon together with a 6mm diameter blocking filter (suitable for scopes with focal length up to approx. 500mm) for $1,346 & this will outperform a PST by a very large margin indeed ... true you will need to buy an adpater to fit the etalon to the front end of your scope tube but this will be a lot less than buying a whole new tube, focuser etc. ... and you can still use the scope for "night time" targets. Fitting a commercial filter set to a scope is AFAIK permitted for discussion in these lists in a way that hacking a PST is not.

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
Re: modded PST or solarmax 60,etc? [Re: brianb11213]
      #5675676 - 02/12/13 11:51 AM

OK, folks. I apologize for being late to moderating this thread; we had a minor little snow storm here in the North East to deal with...

This entire thread is against CN's TOS... I specifically call everyones attention to:

Quote:

Be Aware! CN will not allow posts dealing with the modification of potentially harmful devices such as green laser pointers, PST's, etc. While the results of a modified GLP or PST may seem attractive, the possible adverse consequences are deemed significant. Any posts dealing with these types of modifications, or linking to sites which feature them, may be removed by the moderator.

I have deleted the link, and locked this thread. Again, such discussions are against our TOS, not matter how "couched" in conditional rhetoric. Thank you for your understanding and participation here on CN.

Dave (Moderator)

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, Phillip Creed 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 555

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics