Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1
CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Saturn, A New View - mini review...
      #5676276 - 02/12/13 04:53 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Another mini-review.

"Saturn, A New View" by L. Lovett, J. Horvath, J. Cuzzi, c2006, Abrams Publishing, ~190 pages.

As I had just read the book on same subject by N. Mortillaro, I was curious what if anything this 'A new View' would bring to the table other than more, larger, extremely well executed and printed images!. The Cassini images get a WOW! for planetary, rings, and moons - this IMO the book to get if you can find it. By itself that may have been enough as the images in this book are amazing, very well commented - and plentiful, and if it can be said superior to anything I have seen so far.

What was a real surprise other than the imagry was the text. The authors all to a part of this book and the text is IMO very well done. Answering the questions the probe was sent to discover and arriving at the new questions they bring. This all in a very almost casual way that is extremely informative. The info on the Huygens probe was thought provoking and again splendid imagry.

The chapters are divided as follows, (note - there are 7 or 8 beautiful! full page color high resolution images before you even reach the contents page!)...

Saturn the Sublime -K.C Robinson, this is an intro or foreward to the text
Saturn's Close-Up -J. Horvath
A Ringed World -J.Cuzzi
Saturns Moons -J.Cuzzi
Looking Outward -unatttributed
The Art In Science -L. Lovett

end pages are Acknowledgements, Image credits, and Index.

Inside front and back cover are outline drawings of the Saturn Moons to scale.

-------------

Putting into perspective the difference in the text portion vs. the Mortillaro book. Well... Jeff Cuzzi is a planetary scientists at Nasa Ames. The chapters by him and Joan Horvath are IMO exceptionally well written in the area of interest. No rabbit holes or 'this stuff is complicated', it is soft spoken and authoritative without ever losing it's sense of wonder and appreciation. I finally had to look them up as I was so impressed by their writing, communicates well and simply the awe and wonder of what is shown in the amazing images.

About the images. I wanted to make the comment to look on page so and so for an exquisite image of shepard moon and ring ripple or there for the 'Keeler Gap' with it's shepard moon. I can't! Every single picture in this book is really something to see and understand - a task the authors accomplish gracefully.

(Rick, you would NOT be disappointed by what this book has for the Huygens probe, or any of the other moon data and images.)

I hope I am getting across that I LOVE this book, which is much more than just a fantastic / amazing picture book. I bought mine used but it is in great condition, the cover does show some 'wear' - understandably so!

As always, sorry for my typo errors.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CounterWeight
Postmaster

Re: Saturn, A new View - mini review... new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5676283 - 02/12/13 04:56 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Here is a size comparison to the book on Saturn by Nicole Mortillaro.

Yes I'll be keeping both

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
Re: Saturn, A new View - mini review... new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5676408 - 02/12/13 06:35 PM

Thanks for your review! It sounds so good, I just ordered a copy through Amazon!
---Maya

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Saturn, A New View - mini review... new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5676870 - 02/13/13 12:24 AM

Quote:

(Rick, you would NOT be disappointed by what this book has for the Huygens probe, or any of the other moon data and images.)

Jim,

Nice review!

I do have the book; and you're right, I'm not disappointed... except that 90% of the images seem to be of the rings (not surprising, since some of the authors are ring scientists.) The Titan images were, again, my primary reason for picking it up (it was an impulse buy at a used book store).
I haven't actually read it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

These are the only two really modern Saturn books I've seen, and are both worth the price if just for the pictures!

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Re: Saturn, A New View - mini review... new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5676911 - 02/13/13 01:05 AM

Maya - hope you enjoy it!

Rick, I wondered about that (if you already owned) after I posted this... what was I thinking?! The text really illuminates the instrumentation and technique / thinking behind the science, not a textbook but I hope you enjoy the text, in ways as good as the images (esp those that show Saturns atm looking like that of juptiter), but less than 1000 words to do it?

As far as I know the Cassini mission is extended until 2017? So it's an ongoing effort. Hope more books like this to follow as more is found to write home about.

I'll be interested to hear what you both think

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5677817 - 02/13/13 02:52 PM

My local Half Price Books has a half dozen new copies of "Saturn, A New View" for $7.99. Based on your review, Jim, I couldn't resist and picked one up this morning. The photos are really well reproduced. Looking forward to reading it.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Re: Saturn, A New View - mini review... new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5677988 - 02/13/13 04:47 PM

Jim, I paid $8.50, consider it a great deal just for the images. Nice that you have a great store nearby. happy reading

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

#5700227 - 02/25/13 04:51 PM

My copy arrived today and what a gorgeous book it is!!! This genuine first edition came through Amazon and in perfect condition -- I'm glad it wasn't one of their POD books! I see it was published at $40 originally and the quality is great.

The photos are superb -- large and detailed. Titan's photos are just what I've been looking for! Spectacular closeups. I have the "Titan Unveiled" book, but although it's very informative it greatly lacks in good photos with only a few color plates in the center of the book. This Saturn book makes up for what the other lacks. The other moons and Saturn's rings are portrayed in crisp views too. Now I have another wonderful book to read on these seemingly never-ending rainy evenings. Many thanks for mentioning this book and reviewing it Jim!
---Maya

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Re: Saturn, A New View - mini review... new [Re: Crow Haven]
      #5700741 - 02/25/13 10:57 PM

Glad to hear you are enjoying the book Maya!

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5701347 - 02/26/13 10:28 AM

Quote:

My copy arrived today and what a gorgeous book it is!!! This genuine first edition came through Amazon and in perfect condition -- I'm glad it wasn't one of their POD books! I see it was published at $40 originally and the quality is great.

The photos are superb -- large and detailed. Titan's photos are just what I've been looking for! Spectacular closeups. I have the "Titan Unveiled" book, but although it's very informative it greatly lacks in good photos with only a few color plates in the center of the book. This Saturn book makes up for what the other lacks. The other moons and Saturn's rings are portrayed in crisp views too. Now I have another wonderful book to read on these seemingly never-ending rainy evenings. Many thanks for mentioning this book and reviewing it Jim!
---Maya

I bought the Saturn book a while back for the gorgeous images but I was pleasantly surprised by the text. Definitely a keeper.

Is the "Titan Unveiled" book a good read?

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Re: Saturn, A New View - mini review... new [Re: turtle86]
      #5701924 - 02/26/13 03:55 PM

Quote:

Yes, Rob, in my estimation, it is well worth getting. It covers the mission very thoroughly, and is presented not in a "dry" or overly technical manner but as an insider's account by Lorenz, covering the challenges and discoveries of this amazing moon. I enjoyed it!
---Maya

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5702451 - 02/26/13 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, Rob, in my estimation, it is well worth getting. It covers the mission very thoroughly, and is presented not in a "dry" or overly technical manner but as an insider's account by Lorenz, covering the challenges and discoveries of this amazing moon. I enjoyed it!
---Maya

Thanks so much for the recommendation. You just talked me into ordering a copy!

Nicole

Reged: 07/12/11

Loc: Canada
Re: Saturn, A New View - mini review... new [Re: turtle86]
      #5714432 - 03/05/13 01:03 PM

I hope you liked my book! :-) The images are stunning. I'd love to pick up the other one, too!

Nicole

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Re: Saturn, A New View - mini review... new [Re: Nicole]
      #5715497 - 03/05/13 10:21 PM

Hello Nicole,

First and most important - Thank you for your book It has a secure postion on my shelf here, yes I liked it a lot!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 669

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics