Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1
john@dps

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: Granada Hills, CA
High solar power output on better visiblity days new
      #5674623 - 02/11/13 06:57 PM

I am beginning to think or it might be my imagination running amuck that the days my 6.5kw system puts out more power my little scope seems to have better views. Is it correct to believe what we can see with our eyes also affects the solar panels output. Because if it is that would be sweet, I can tell by noon if the power is higher or lower that day. The Last few days here in LA have been great views and the solar power output has been several KW's higher than normal. Any thoughts?

Is our seeing at night similar to the solar panels seeing in the day?

Edited by john@dps (02/11/13 07:02 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
john@dps

Re: High solar power output on better visiblity days new [Re: john@dps]
      #5674685 - 02/11/13 07:41 PM

A good example is I just checked the power output and today is going to end up with 5KW's more than the average day in the last couple weeks. However today doesnt appear to be any different then all the other days, yet the solar power created doesnt lie. The last few days have been 2-5KW's more and my views are better than usual.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: High solar power output on better visiblity days new [Re: john@dps]
      #5674737 - 02/11/13 08:12 PM

Quote:

I am beginning to think or it might be my imagination running amuck that the days my 6.5kw system puts out more power my little scope seems to have better views. Is it correct to believe what we can see with our eyes also affects the solar panels output.

Of course it does! The issue at hand is extinction, the amount of light that's absorbed or scattered during its passage through the atmosphere. It's substantial at best, and heavy haze or smog could easily cut out an extra 25%. That's enough to make a major difference both to your solar panel and at the eyepiece.

The term you're looking for is "transparency," by the way. "Seeing" means the steadiness of the air -- the ability to use high magnifications.

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: High solar power output on better visiblity days new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5676210 - 02/12/13 04:30 PM

very good conditions here in MN today too, my batteries were back to full charge by 10AM. Part of it is the sun is higher in the sky though.

john@dps

Re: High solar power output on better visiblity days [Re: Mary B]
      #5676387 - 02/12/13 06:16 PM

Mary B is seeing better on days the batteries charge faster. It seems so to me but I,m a noob and know very little about good seeing and transparency, some days that looked good to me were't.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 276

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics