Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
WhitenerJ
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/06/12

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
Nebulosity fine focus?
      #5676640 - 02/12/13 09:43 PM

Ok what numbers should I be aiming for when fine focusing in Nebulosity? Like the Max and HFR? Also what do you look for on the graphs?

Jason

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/11

Loc: New York
Re: Nebulosity fine focus? new [Re: WhitenerJ]
      #5676688 - 02/12/13 10:08 PM

I've never been able to make sense of the graph. The actual numbers depend on the image scale but you want the HFR as low as possible and Max as high as possible. Nights with poor seeing can make fine focus a pain to use. I used it for a long time but it always left a nagging doubt as to whether I actually got the lowest HFR possible. A lot of time was spent going in and out of focus trying to minimise HFR.

I've since gone to a Bahtinov mask. There's no comparison. The mask leaves no doubt about when you've reached proper focus.

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: Nebulosity fine focus? new [Re: Mike7Mak]
      #5677152 - 02/13/13 07:47 AM

I use both the Bahtinov mask and Nebulosity's fine focus. The mask gets you on when you have a bright star, but when doing Ha or OIII imaging, and switching filters, I need Nebulosity's fine focus to get the best focus. In good seeing, The FWHM is less than 2 pixels, usually 1.6-1.8 with my 800 mm fl and in bad seeing can be greater than 3.

Charlie B

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, WOBentley, dr.who, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 198

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics