Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
BigT

Reged: 02/02/13

Loc: NW Ohio
Last of the UO Orthos new
      #5676454 - 02/12/13 07:18 PM

I recently purchased my first telescope. I've only gotten to use it a couple times, and only briefly each time. The short views I've had have been exciting and have me chomping at the bit for more. However, the weather here has been very poor, so I'm left instead reading about more stuff to buy, haha.

I read a lot of good things about the University Optics Orthos, and thought maybe I'd pick some up eventually. Well, when I checked out their site I saw the notice about them no longer being available when the current stock runs out. I really didn't think much of it.

After reading some more I checked the site again the next day and one of the focal lengths that had been available just the day before was no longer listed. I got a little nervous because it seems like many of the great classic eyepieces I read about are no longer available, and it seemed like the UO Orthos were soon to be among them, so I ordered a couple, the 6mm and 18mm.

As of the next morning the only focal length listed was the 25mm. I felt like I had probably ordered just about the last (if not the very last) of the sizes I ordered. I was actually half expecting a phone call saying they were sorry, they didn't have those sizes left and I wouldn't be getting them.

A couple weeks later and I still hadn't received them. I was starting to wonder what happened and I was becoming sure there was some problem and I wasn't going to get them. But then I talked to someone at the office of my apartment community who said "sorry, I totally forgot to call you, but this was delivered to the wrong address by mistake." Anyway, long story short (I know, way too late, it's already too long), I now am the new owner of an 18mm and a 6mm UO Ortho...that I can't use because it's cloudy, haha.

I can't wait to try them out. I feel like I got the last of the UO Orthos and I hope I can put them to good use soon.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BigT

Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: BigT]
      #5676483 - 02/12/13 07:45 PM Attachment (65 downloads)

Here they are. As if you folks don't know what they look like.

BigT

#5676489 - 02/12/13 07:49 PM Attachment (44 downloads)

And the 6mm

KaStern
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/18/06

Loc: InTheDark
      #5676506 - 02/12/13 08:00 PM

Hi Big,

congrats! Nice grab. U better keep em, they won't come back.

Cheers, Karsten

rgm40
sage

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Western Kentucky
      #5676510 - 02/12/13 08:05 PM

. Love these eyepieces. If you ever get the chance to pick up the 12.5--it is a dandy too. I have the 12.5, 9, and 7mm. They are on my "keep until dead" list. Edmund Optics did have some left (Circle T under the Edmund name) last time I looked, but that has been a couple of weeks. I sold the 18 I had in favor of a Celestron Ultima. Wish I had just kept it. Only kept the Ultima because of the little extra FOV. In my comparisons I could not tell any difference in quality of view. I bet if I had made some more critical comparisons (like double stars) the Ortho would have won out.

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: rgm40]
      #5676516 - 02/12/13 08:11 PM

I bagged a 9mm and a 12.5mm a couple of weeks ago-narrow fov, but wonderfully crispy and contrasty images.Glad I moved on them when I did-a week later those FL's were gone.It is too bad-they were very affordable and very high performers.

BigT

Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: aatt]
      #5676534 - 02/12/13 08:27 PM

Yeah, the 12.5mm was the one that was gone the second time I looked. It was one of the focal lengths I was originally interested in. That one being gone only a day after I first looked is when I realized if I didn't act I may not get any unless I could find some used.

Astrosetz
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/05/03

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: aatt]
      #5676535 - 02/12/13 08:27 PM

When I was a teenager about 25 years ago, I purchased an 18mm and a 5mm from UO. A year ago, I decided to get the 12.5mm and I really love it. Was gonna get a 9mm but now they're gone. That's one that'll be on my eBay/Craigslist/Astromart search for years, I'll bet

Brian Schmidt
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/25/09

Loc: Dallas, GA
Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: Astrosetz]
      #5676562 - 02/12/13 08:42 PM

I've been on a bit of a buying spree for circle T othos this year as well. They provide wonderful views of the planets and lunar. I've got a mixed set in the 7-6-5-4. Really nice eyepieces that won't really set you back that much, all things considered. Although there are the Baader otrhos for $75 made in China I think. I have not really heard any reports about those. But given that the Circle T orthos were hand made in Japan, I know what ones I'd rather have.

Edited by Brian Schmidt (02/12/13 08:45 PM)

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: Brian Schmidt]
      #5676691 - 02/12/13 10:09 PM

Have a 12.5, 9, and 7mm they are my workhorse planetary EPs. love to pick up an 18mm, Maybe a 6mm I really like the NJ and circle R TV plossls too. I think they are better 17mm and up.

BigT

Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: KaStern]
      #5676714 - 02/12/13 10:23 PM

Quote:

Hi Big,

congrats! Nice grab. U better keep em, they won't come back.

Cheers, Karsten

Thanks. I plan on keeping them around. I figure they will be useful in just about any scope I might move to in the future as well.

I just can't wait for another clear night.

P.S. I like your signature.

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5676741 - 02/12/13 10:41 PM

Sweet! You just can't go wrong with those.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5676894 - 02/13/13 12:47 AM

You should probably start a long-term project of getting the whole set. I only have one, the 5mm; but I really like it. I got it because there wasn't a 5mm Brandon. (Of course, the Dakin 2.4x barlow and a 12mm Brandon cover that; but I didn't have the Dakin at that time.)
If I didn't already have Brandons, I'd be hunting up a set of UOs too.

You always think there'll be plenty of time, until suddenly it's too late. All of life is like that, isn't it?

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5676995 - 02/13/13 03:26 AM

I own the 12.5mm and pairs of the 18mm and 25mm, and have a pair of the 25mm Circle-T volcano top Erfles on the way to me from a dealer that still had them in stock.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5677026 - 02/13/13 04:35 AM

I have the whole UO 1.25" set, with doubles in 25mm - 9mm focal lengths, for my binoviewer. I also have the complete Kokusai Kohki 0.965" ortho set. None of these are going anywhere, as both lines are discontinued and collector's items by now. I really should have made it a point to get the Erfles and the Kellners while they lasted, but hey, maybe I can find those down the road.

Back in the day, I used my orthos all the time, but today I mainly use 25mm Zeiss microscope eyepieces on the bino and ES 82's when monoviewing. Still, my orthos do come in handy from time to time, when I want to test an old scope with a 0.965" focuser or just want to be nostalgic.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
Re: Last of the UO Orthos [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5677106 - 02/13/13 07:04 AM

Those VT's were my first complete set of orthos back in the day. Did a lot of solar and intergalactic travel with them. The selection at the short end of the rang allows for parfocal dialing in the max magnification for sky conditions and the views thru the 25mm are majestic. I rotated into the flat top series when they came out but I kept the 4 and 25 VT's. Gett'em if you can.

Jim

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #5677199 - 02/13/13 08:26 AM

My only volcano top UO is my 12.5mm Planetary. Don't think they made a lot of the Planetary series. Heard some of them had coating problems, but mine works fine. It's given me my best on-axis views of Jupiter of all my eyepieces so far. My other 2 are the 7 & 9mm HD flattops, which are also really good orthos. They work fantastic in my refractor (too narrow a view for the dob).

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5677210 - 02/13/13 08:38 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

Quote:

I have the whole UO 1.25" set, with doubles in 25mm - 9mm focal lengths, for my binoviewer.

OK sorry but I gotta post this pic once more. I purchased these Circle Ts about 3 months ago and they are excellent. Thank you Tani-san you have done the world a service !

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5677227 - 02/13/13 08:52 AM

I should have done that myself Johnnyha...binoviewer sets of Brandons and UO'S!!! You will want for nothing!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Last of the UO Orthos new [Re: t.r.]
      #5677251 - 02/13/13 09:06 AM

Quote:

You will want for nothing!

If only it were so Tim! I have some other sets of bino eyepieces. I could be very happy with just the Circle T set though, they are that good. The ergonomics are unmatched imho.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2260

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics