Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Power Tank 7ah question - Dual batteries
      #5677815 - 02/13/13 02:51 PM

I got a power tank as part of a kit with my 8SE. No surprise, it was messed up. The flashlight switch on top wouldn't work. So I called Celestron and they are sending me a brand new one and didn't want the old one back. I am wondering if the battery is good in the broke unit, if I could use it in parallel with the new one and double my capacity.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Power Tank 7ah question - Dual batteries new [Re: ben2112]
      #5678049 - 02/13/13 05:33 PM

In the main, I should think so, at least if the condition of the old battery is reasonably decent. If the old one has been rather deeply discharged at some point, or gone through many charge/discharge cycles, it will probably impact current capacity of the pair in parallel.

Hopefully someone better versed in the technology of batteries will chime in...

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: Power Tank 7ah question - Dual batteries new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5678095 - 02/13/13 06:00 PM

Yep , the battery bank is only as good as its weakest link . Id start with two new ones . Actually , for about 60 bucks , you could get a 35 ah unit . Be like 5 times the reserve of the OE power tank batt .

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Power Tank 7ah question - Dual batteries new [Re: starrancher]
      #5678208 - 02/13/13 07:14 PM

The powertank was never used. When I got it, I plugged it in for about 3 to 4hrs. When I turned on the flashlight on the front (the small one), it flashed on for about a second or two. Then when I went to plug it back in to finish charging, the red light wont come on and nothing works. I took it apart to check the charge of the battery, but for some reason, I can't find my multimeter. UGH!! Oh well, I'll just see about getting another multimeter next payday. The one I had was 15 years old.

But if this battery is still good, I'll just use both until they die and then upgrade down the road..

Edit: Well, the batter has a charge. I found my circuit checker. It lights up the test light. So that is a good sign. I wonder if I could use a 10amp car battery charger.

Edited by ben2112 (02/13/13 07:22 PM)

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #5678239 - 02/13/13 07:43 PM

For gel cells you need a rather more gentle charger than a 10 amp job made for car batteries. The charger that came with your power tank should suffice, although charging times will double (if you decide to bank two 7Ah batteries in parallel.)

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Power Tank 7ah question - Dual batteries new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5678245 - 02/13/13 07:47 PM

Quote:

For gel cells you need a rather more gentle charger than a 10 amp job made for car batteries. The charger that came with your power tank should suffice, although charging times will double (if you decide to bank two 7Ah batteries in parallel.)

Thanks. I didn't want to mess up the battery. When the new Powertank arrives, I'll connect the other battery up and let it charge overnight.

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
      #5678412 - 02/13/13 09:36 PM

Quote:

... I took it apart to check the charge of the battery, but for some reason, I can't find my multimeter. UGH!! ....

Check your magazines and newspaper ads for a Harbor Freight Tools ad. They often give away multimeters as a gift with any purchase. If you want to purchase the meter, they're available from $4 to $7 for their house brand.

I've made a $0.79 purchase and obtained a free meter.

Phil

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Power Tank 7ah question - Dual batteries new [Re: Phil Sherman]
      #5678472 - 02/13/13 10:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... I took it apart to check the charge of the battery, but for some reason, I can't find my multimeter. UGH!! ....

Check your magazines and newspaper ads for a Harbor Freight Tools ad. They often give away multimeters as a gift with any purchase. If you want to purchase the meter, they're available from $4 to $7 for their house brand.

I've made a $0.79 purchase and obtained a free meter.

Phil

Cool idea.. Our Harbor Freight is close to my office. I'll just swing by there at lunch tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5678938 - 02/14/13 08:16 AM

Quote:

Cool idea.. Our Harbor Freight is close to my office. I'll just swing by there at lunch tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

If you can't find anything you need, pick up a tube of Superlube! I go through about one tube per year for all manner of uses - including astronomy.

Edited by DaveJ (02/14/13 08:17 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 486

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics