Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
MikeMS

Reged: 05/23/11

C14 - work on one new
      #5678739 - 02/14/13 03:07 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

I offered to bring an unused C14 SCT back into use for the local university.
The main problem with it was some missing parts, mainly the power lead, handset and a finderscope.
I did try to convert it to meade autostar with the DS motors and adding a worm and wheel, but it was not that successful, so I went back to the original set up.
I have lowered the tripod to a sensible height and made a trolley for it. This may be less stable than the original, but you can move the scope now, and this is needed. I could not remove the spreader leg pins, hence the legs being held under the top of the tripod. And I have strong wire to stop the legs spreading when not in the trolley. The legs are broom stick handles, the chap in the shop seemed surprised when I purchased 6!!
The electrics did not work, I assume someone had plugged it into 220V instead of 110V. I got a new transformer from 220V to 2 X 12V and replaced, made a new handset. The top switch does the dec motor and the middle switch the RA with fast and slow (24V and 12V) speeds. The design of the tangent arm means for the same motor speed the RA worms moves very fast compared to the dec arm. So the third switch feeds the RA motor but you can connect a lower voltage to give yet a slower speed, this works well with 6V.
The existing RA motor that runs all the time to give sideral tracking is now on a 220V to 110V transformer, the larger black box on the extension lead. In testing it, I think it runs too fast, but as the scope will only be for visual use this may be acceptable.
I took it to the desert here in Riyadh and M42 was the best I have ever seen, and without perfect collimation. But other objects not so good, so I now see that poorer skies (there is always dust here) do not suite larger telescopes.
The other issue to solve is the secondary housing moves slightly on teh corrector plate. I removed the corrector plate ring but the glass is tightly fitted and I did not want to go further as this is not my telescope.
So it works to a degree and after 20 years (so I have been told) off no one using it, maybe it will have some use. I collected the finderscope and Bobs knobs from a visit to LA in December and I also got an orange tube C8 SCT OTA and I think I like this better, and it is mine. Here are some pictures.
Kind regards,
Mike.

Edited by MikeMS (02/14/13 03:15 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeMS

Re: C14 - work on one new [Re: MikeMS]
      #5678740 - 02/14/13 03:08 AM Attachment (26 downloads)

pic 2

MikeMS

#5678743 - 02/14/13 03:11 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

pic 3

MikeMS

Re: C14 - work on one [Re: MikeMS]
      #5678744 - 02/14/13 03:12 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

pic 4

Escher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Fenton, MI
      #5680864 - 02/15/13 08:44 AM

Nice work, I have aperture envy!

So, is this your scope now, or does it go back to the school?

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 397

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics