Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/04

Loc: Maryland
DSC and Tablet Stalks new
      #5678380 - 02/13/13 09:21 PM

I've got part of a 1.25" moonlite truss pole left over from making my 16" dob. I ordered a 1.25" clamp from them so I can turn the pole into a DSC Stalk, but i'm trying to figure out what I should do to the top of the truss pole so that I can safely put a Sky Commander and Nexus 7 on top of the pole.

Any ideas for an easy way to attach something to the 1.25" pole?

Any ideas for a material that would make for a good angled shelf for the sky commander and tablet to sit on?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Old Rookie
sage

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: North Central Ohio
Re: DSC and Tablet Stalks new [Re: zeldaboy101]
      #5678817 - 02/14/13 06:18 AM

I did something similar for my 18" Astrosystems. I used a 1" wood dowel and 3/4" pine boards to assemble. Works well for me.

The file's to large. PM me with your email if you want and I'll send a couple of photos later this afternoon.

Edited by Old Rookie (02/14/13 06:20 AM)

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: DSC and Tablet Stalks new [Re: Old Rookie]
      #5678837 - 02/14/13 06:37 AM

<< wood dowel and 3/4" pine board >>

Exactly what I did. A no-brainer. I didn't even have to cut the board....thanks to Hobby Lobby.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: DSC and Tablet Stalks [Re: zeldaboy101]
      #5678941 - 02/14/13 08:22 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

I made this one for the Skycommanders I recently acquired. It's made of lightweight welded steel flatbar and sqaure tubing. To secure it to the rocker, I made four bolts with a knob that screw into threaded inserts. That way, I can remove it when I am transporting the telescope. At home, it stays on the rocker, which makes set-up and take down quick and easy. The best part is the glow from the screen stays out of my eyes, but I can watch the display easily when slewing from object to object.

In your case, a threaded insert in the tube would work nicely, and a piece of 1/2" plywood that's varnished would work. You could drill a shallow hole in the wood with a Forstner bit and drill press to get the tube and wood to fit tightly together. Or use aluminum flatbar or angle of the size that will hold your computer. As for bending the tubing, if you know an electrician, ask him if you could borrow his 1 1/4" conduit bender, I've bent a lot of aluminum conduit with a hand bender. I welded mine because I have the ability to do it, but if I didn't I would have bolted it together.

Taras

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Re: DSC and Tablet Stalks new [Re: Achernar]
      #5680875 - 02/15/13 08:51 AM

Thanks guys. Looks like this should be a pretty easy add on!

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5680891 - 02/15/13 08:59 AM

I believe Charlie Starks at Markless Astronomics is making such a shelf now. I have his ServoCat stalk and it is nicely done. The Moonlight clamp and aluminum tube is the easy part, making a nice Lexan shelf that compliments the scope is where he earns the money.

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Re: DSC and Tablet Stalks new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5681274 - 02/15/13 11:54 AM

That's where I got the inspiration from. Charlie makes some great stuff, but I already had leftover truss pole pieces and i'm trying to keep upgrades on the cheaper side if I can DIY.

The Sky Commander I bought used had a huge piece of velcro on the back, so I plan to just velcro it to the shelf. It's the tablet that i'd like to be able to put on the shelf, at an angle, and secure it without velcro on the tablet itself or the case I normally use. Maybe I could get a cheap neoprene sleeve and permanently attach it to the shelf (or velcro the back) and add a red film to that sleeve.

Edited by zeldaboy101 (02/15/13 11:56 AM)

Markovich
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Central Ohio
      #5684858 - 02/17/13 09:58 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

I bought the tablet shelf from Markless Astronomics after experimenting with my own design. I'm loath to drill into my Obsession so I use a matching piece of wood that attaches to the scope at the wheel barrow handle points. I use a Moonlite 1.25" tube and connector, then Charlie's tablet shelf. It's very solid and easy to hook up.

Edited by Markovich (02/17/13 09:58 AM)

Markovich
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Central Ohio
Re: DSC and Tablet Stalks new [Re: Markovich]
      #5684861 - 02/17/13 09:59 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

And the complete set up

ischua
Under the Radar

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Below Snow Plop, N Y
Re: DSC and Tablet Stalks new [Re: Markovich]
      #5685481 - 02/17/13 04:26 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

What I added to my Starmaster

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: DSC and Tablet Stalks new [Re: ischua]
      #5685516 - 02/17/13 04:51 PM

Hmmm, If I made something like your very nice stalk, I would have added a cup holder too.

Taras

Old Rookie
sage

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: North Central Ohio
Re: DSC and Tablet Stalks new [Re: Achernar]
      #5686785 - 02/18/13 11:02 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

This is my version mounted on my 18". The netbook sits kind of high but I found that with my bifocols, it's much easier to see at this height. As a matter of fact, another club member raised his after looking at mine.
John

Edited by Old Rookie (02/18/13 11:05 AM)

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: DSC and Tablet Stalks new [Re: Old Rookie]
      #5687187 - 02/18/13 03:46 PM

<< sits kind of high but I found that with my bifocols, it's much easier to see at this height. >>

Hey John. Nice table. I have my table up high too for the same reason! It's an age thing. Chuck down here in Columbus.

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Re: DSC and Tablet Stalks new [Re: Chucky]
      #5688535 - 02/19/13 09:23 AM

Mark, do you remember how much the shelf was without needing to buy the stalk? Charlie doesn't list it separately on his site.

I was considering adding an eyepiece holder on to the shelf like you did Mark. Do you find any trouble with your azimuth balance when that shelf is loaded with a lot of stuff?

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 902

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics