Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
spencerj
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: Londonderry, NH
Re: SV90T vs. TV-85 vs. TMB92SS? [Re: Eddgie]
      #5679270 - 02/14/13 11:41 AM

Quote:

I have to concede that the sample size is to small to be definitive.

On the other hand, a .929 Strhel is nothing special. Rohr has testes a lot of Celestron SCTs that have had better Strehl that .929.

And if the OP bought a Televue scope and star tested it and saw a central zone, how do you think he would feel? Even if the zone was only cosmetic, would he still feel like he made the best decision regarding optical quality????

Eddgie, two of your samples were Televue Genesis scopes. That is not just a small sample. That is a barely relevant sample. Those were manufactured in what the late 1980's and early 1990's? 20 to 25 years ago? Maybe you really feel those scopes have anything at all to do with scopes currently manufactured by Televue, but to me that seems a stretch. So Synta and other manufactures have gotten better over the years, but Televue optical fabrication and quality is stuck in the 1980's?

Sure I would like a 120mm Skywatcher with a .979 Strehl, but I am not lucky enough in general to land one of those mythical creatures. I would be more likely to catch a unicorn in the large hole I dug in my backyard.

I bought my TV102 a few years ago before the explosion of 4" Apos. For me it was a safe purchase. I knew that I was going to get the quality scope that I paid for. Best of the Best? No, but dependable quality that I could afford. Today . . . I think I would lean towards a Stellarvue scope, but not because I was afraid of the optical quality of a Televue scope.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: SV90T vs. TV-85 vs. TMB92SS? new [Re: spencerj]
      #5679799 - 02/14/13 04:07 PM

I would suggest the TMB92L instead of the TMB92SS, it is smaller and lighter. The only reason for the SS would be for photography or binoviewing and as most people will tell you, you don't want to binoview with a scope this small. The 92L comes with a nice case that can reworked with new foam to hold everything you need except the mount of course and it will work well on a very simple mount. So a great portable setup for traveling

In regard to the other argument going on here, I have an 80mm and personally I see the 92mm as a big jump. I am not sure I can see anything in the 92 that the 80 can't also see, but it pulls out more detail. Things that look noticeably better to me are Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, most Globular clusters, and many nebula. I see only a slight improvement in double star viewing and open cluster viewing. I think jumping to something in the 105mm to 110mm range is better, but not nearly as portable.

Rossmon
sage

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: Marin County, CA
Re: SV90T vs. TV-85 vs. TMB92SS? new [Re: Lane]
      #5679922 - 02/14/13 05:24 PM

I would suggest the carbon fibre model of the WO FLT98. It is light weight and gets you up to the 100mm aperture. They are gorgeous too. Mine gave me as much pleasure looking at as looking thru! I only sold it to move up to my NP127. I have been extremely pleased with my 127 but i am now going to sell it as I moved up to a 6" AP.
For this particular Televue,, at the EP, the views are as good to better than everything else i looked thru from 4"s to 6"s. No it is not as nice as my 155! but it was just as sharp as a 6" f9 AP that I looked through. Of course, these are totally subjective comparisons.

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: SV90T vs. TV-85 vs. TMB92SS? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5680091 - 02/14/13 07:28 PM

The difference between a 3" and a 4" is the same as that between a 9" and a 12". Really quite noticeable.

NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: SV90T vs. TV-85 vs. TMB92SS? new [Re: Joe Bergeron]
      #5681021 - 02/15/13 09:54 AM

Rossman,
How were the optics on your FLT98?

Keith-in-Texas

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Stephenville, TX
Re: SV90T vs. TV-85 vs. TMB92SS? new [Re: NHRob]
      #5682352 - 02/15/13 09:05 PM

Hello Rob,

My recommendation is to see if you can find a Stellarvue SV90TBV. This is a triplet APO with a flourite element. It is no longer manufactured but can sometimes be obtained used in great condition.

The SV90TBV is a fantastic scope that provides views which appear to be beyond its 90mm aperture. I really enjoy using it on a Losmandy GM-8 and Vixen Super Polaris with slow motion controls.

I owned a TV-85 and then purchased a SV90TBV. The two scopes were compared and you can see in my signature which one is still in my arsenal.

Best regards.

Keith

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2089

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics