Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
Steve Daniel

Reged: 06/03/12

Loc: Austin, TX
Crayford focuser for SCT: 1 vs 2 speeds
      #5679772 - 02/14/13 03:43 PM

I'm looking at Crayford focusers for my CPC800. Do I really need two speeds, especially if I don't plan on doing any astrophotography? How fine is the focus control you get with a one-speed focuser? I'm specifically looking at the Crawford Machine extra low profile focuser for SCTs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ZRX-Steve
sage

Reged: 03/31/08

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Crayford focuser for SCT: 1 vs 2 speeds new [Re: Steve Daniel]
      #5679992 - 02/14/13 06:14 PM

Your CPC has a single speed focuser and you are upgrading it to another single speed focuser. Can you share your reasons for upgrading? Personally, for the $40 or $50 delta, I'd get the two speed. You'll make it back in resale if you ever decide to sell.

ZRX-Steve
sage

Reged: 03/31/08

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Crayford focuser for SCT: 1 vs 2 speeds new [Re: ZRX-Steve]
      #5680002 - 02/14/13 06:18 PM

P.S. I have a C8 that i use with Mallincam. I upgraded to a GSO 2 speed specifically for the fine control. But that's for APhotography / Video Astronomy. If I wasn't doing Mallincam, I wouldn't have spent the upgrade $$'s just for visual.

/s

Steve Daniel

Re: Crayford focuser for SCT: 1 vs 2 speeds new [Re: ZRX-Steve]
      #5680482 - 02/15/13 12:25 AM

The two reasons for upgrading are: image shift when focusing with the stock focuser, and wanting finer control during focusing. How much finer than the stock focusing would a single-speed Crayford focuser be? I suppose it may vary per manufacturer...

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #5680817 - 02/15/13 08:16 AM

I would suggest staying with the single-speed. Two-speeds are necessary only for AP or at f/ratios faster than f/5 for visual work. But if doing AP, you'll be better served with a motorized focuser. I also find 2-speeds need regular maintenance to keep them operating at 100%. You'll save money and frustration as well. YMMV.

I use a JMI on my MCT. I did the research and both Crawmach and JMI units add the least length to the optical train of all the Crayfords commonly available.

Shane in grey-zone NM

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Crayford focuser for SCT: 1 vs 2 speeds new [Re: hottr6]
      #5680982 - 02/15/13 09:34 AM

I agree with a single speed focuser for an SCT, I have a JMI as well and I am quite able to get great focus with the single speed. Good Luck!

fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
      #5681079 - 02/15/13 10:23 AM

Quote:

I'm looking at Crayford focusers for my CPC800. Do I really need two speeds, especially if I don't plan on doing any astrophotography? How fine is the focus control you get with a one-speed focuser? I'm specifically looking at the Crawford Machine extra low profile focuser for SCTs.

I have two telescopes with dual speed crayford type focusers and two scopes with single speed focusers and trust me, if you are going to spend the money and go through the effort to upgrade, definitely upgrade to 2 speed, they are vastly superior to the single speed focuser. You will never regret going to the two speed type whereas if you go with another single speed, you will always wonder what you are missing...

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Crayford focuser for SCT: 1 vs 2 speeds new [Re: fmhill]
      #5681520 - 02/15/13 01:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have two telescopes with dual speed crayford type focusers and two scopes with single speed focusers and trust me, if you are going to spend the money and go through the effort to upgrade, definitely upgrade to 2 speed, they are vastly superior to the single speed focuser. You will never regret going to the two speed type whereas if you go with another single speed, you will always wonder what you are missing...

It really depends on the focal ratio of the 'scope you are using. I have 2-speeds on my 105 f/13 and 90 f/11 'fracs, and the second-speed is a useless appendage that never gets used. On a f/5 RFT and faster it would be invaluable.

The OP has a slow SCT... he won't miss a thing in visual use.

Shane in gray-zone NM

richardlowney

Reged: 12/04/09

Loc: Wisconsin
      #5681865 - 02/15/13 04:09 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

A lot depends on how good your optics are. If you have a snap-to focus, you won't be disapointed with the two speed. My first views through mt 8" Edge convinced me two speeds would be very beneficial. I purchased the Crawmach. Its an excellent focuser and is low profile (2" total).

Steve Daniel

Re: Crayford focuser for SCT: 1 vs 2 speeds new [Re: richardlowney]
      #5681912 - 02/15/13 04:36 PM

Thanks all, these help. Richardlowney, what did you mean by "snap-to" focus?

richardlowney

#5681970 - 02/15/13 05:00 PM

Snap-to focus means to me very little focuser knob travel to achieve perfect focus. Mostly seen by very well made or short focal length refractors such as the NP101. I was pleasantly surprised by the difficulty of achieving focus with the 8" Edge using only the standard focuser. Also, almost undetectable mirror flop. I will say I had a newer C8 that was equally as good.

richardlowney

#5682032 - 02/15/13 05:33 PM

Let me put this a little better. Snap-to focus means from an out of focus image to a very well focused image with very little focuser knob travel which is why the two speed is, in my opinion, the better choice. As a previous poster said, if you spend the money on a single speed crayford, you now have two single speed focusers.

Steve Daniel

Re: Crayford focuser for SCT: 1 vs 2 speeds new [Re: richardlowney]
      #5682622 - 02/15/13 11:56 PM

Ah - thanks for clarifying! I'm mostly leaning toward two-speed now.

Namlak

Reged: 06/14/12

Loc: Northridge, CA
      #5683691 - 02/16/13 02:57 PM

Another vote for 2 speed. I have the JMI on my C8 and find that the low-speed knob requires far less torque (as you'd expect) and thus much less wiggling of the scope when focusing, allowing much better finger-tip control when observing. I find this is also very helpful when focusing for AP at 10x live view on my DSLR screen so my Bahtinov pattern isn't hopping around like crazy.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5684016 - 02/16/13 06:25 PM

Quote:

The two reasons for upgrading are: image shift when focusing with the stock focuser, and wanting finer control during focusing. How much finer than the stock focusing would a single-speed Crayford focuser be? I suppose it may vary per manufacturer...

In your scope, every millimeter of mirror travel results in 5mm of focus travel, so the focus knob is a "coarse focus".
With a rear-mount focuser, every millimeter of focuser travel results in 1mm of focus travel, so even a 1 speed focuser is 1/5 as fast in focusing--a "fine focus" knob.
A 10:1 2-speed arrangement is hardly worth it for a scope with such a large depth of field, though most rear-end focusers are 2-speed now.
If slowing the focusing down is important, a 2-speed replacement focuser for the standard focuser knob is all you need. This replaces the standard knob, and does not add anything to the back end of the scope to increase the f/ratio.
You see, adding the rear length of the focuser increases the f/ratio of the scope and narrows the field of view. For visual use, you want the back end to be as short as possible, not longer. Plus, these focusers are oriented to imaging, so they have very little travel--you STILL end up using the standard knob for coarse focusing.

If you aren't photographing with the scope, why add a rear focuser? Slight image shift when focusing doesn't prevent very tight focusing, and the replacement focuser knob system somewhat reduces it anyway. You can also reduce image shift by running the focuser from one end to the other a couple times about once a week to keep the grease in between the two primary baffles evenly distributed.
Image shift is an issue for the astrophotographer (putting the image on the chip just so), but it's really not an issue for the visual observer.
I slowed down my focusing with a custom-made 2.5" focus knob, but the various 2-speed focus knobs available now work very well (JMI, Starlight Instruments) and enable extremely fine focusing, even if there is a little image shift. I owned an SCT for 11 years, and the image shift never bothered me because it didn't interfere with focusing. But the larger focus knob did make finer focusing possible.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 835

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics