Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Double Star Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
John Van Allen

Reged: 01/24/12

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Rigel B vs. Sirius B new [Re: TegiriNenashi]
      #5678847 - 02/14/13 06:46 AM

At my location here in the Dominican Republic Sirius is nicely placed for observing at around 54° altitude at around 1030 at night. Using my Questar 3.5 with an 8mm eyepiece and the 2x internal lens I believe I saw the pup once but still have a question mark in my log book. The city of Santo Domingo has a lot of light pollution as well as other kinds of pollution. There are some very high mountains here and I am planning a trip to do Sirius Splitting (no pun intended), Rigel is easy with the Q and with an O111 filter even easier. I believe I saw the pup using this filter but with only 3.5" aperature the images get very dim. One other thing is at play here, the age of my eyes. At 66 my eyes arenīt the same as at 26 and after a few minutes of intense concentration they start misbehaving like watering. Finding the sweet spot in the eyepiece is tricky with the mileage these eyeballs have. Any suggestions re eye exercises, vitamins, etc would be appreciated.
Regards
John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
Re: Rigel B vs. Sirius B new [Re: magnus]
      #5679189 - 02/14/13 11:05 AM

Rigel B turns out to be an excellent measure of seeing conditions for me. When seeing is excellent I can split it at ridiculously low powers, but when seeing is really bad can't split it at all because daddy is doing the flash dance all over the place. I wonder if there is a linear relationship between magnification needed for the split and seeing? Maybe I'll get out some graph paper and find out.

Pete-LH
sage

Reged: 03/25/09

Loc: Wilmington, DE
Re: Rigel B vs. Sirius B [Re: lionel]
      #5680712 - 02/15/13 06:04 AM

Hi everyone and Lionel,
No success yet ...
Rigel has been no problem even down to a 60mm f/11. Quite beautiful so I've given it a shot every time out this fall to get an idea of the conditions. I've tried Sirius in the past with no luck but was inspired by the posts here so I thought I'd give it a Sirius (sorry) try last night.
I set up my FS-102 and with a 5mm Ortho thought I caught a glimpse briefly. To reduce the glare I stopped down with the Tak manhole cover and had a beautiful Airy disc with two concentric diffraction rings. I stared at it for a while but no Sirius B. So I went on to Beta Monoceros which I've been obsessed with lately, then over to M48 and called it a night. The spirit was willing but the body was weak and my bed was calling.
Lionel, Fred is talking about the RV lot on Sunday so maybe we can give it a shot there?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4522

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics