Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Mark V diopter adjustment new [Re: Paul G]
      #5681456 - 02/15/13 01:10 PM

Truly different strokes apply here. For me there is no contest - in the field side by side, the Denks win hands down in the diopter adjustment department. This has nothing to do with the confusion of the left and right side of the MkV being reversed either. This is due to the Denk's beautiful ability to allow the user to incrementally adjust either side in or out while viewing without any clamping/ unclamping or guesswork. It also doesn't hurt that the adjustment is smooth as silk and the helical threading isn't so ultra-fine as the Mark Vs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: Mark V diopter adjustment new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5681567 - 02/15/13 01:54 PM

I use Zeiss microscopes in my day job almost everyday and each is equipped with diopter adjustments that work beautifully - the diopters are built into the eyepieces, however (same is true of binoculars, of course, where at least one ep typically allows diopter adjustment). Granted, this is not the case for typical astro eyepieces and thus the need to raise or lower (i.e., focus) the eyepiece in a BV like the MkV.

This is perhaps another reason for why I love using Zeiss microscope eyepieces in my MkV - the MkV diopters can be seated fully and the eps adjusted quickly and easily with no shifting/squeezing/failure to remember which direction to turn, etc..

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: Mark V diopter adjustment new [Re: Doug D.]
      #5681603 - 02/15/13 02:07 PM

Yes I had Zeiss microscope eyepieces with diopters and they adjust exactly the same as the Denks, a simple fluid helical system that you can adjust "on the fly" as you view, without having to avert your eyes from the eyepiece.

Edited by johnnyha (02/15/13 02:20 PM)

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mark V diopter adjustment new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5681651 - 02/15/13 02:24 PM

It's true - even granting that the MkV clamp and diopter adjustment mechanisms are arguably well "designed" to accommodate eye differences, in practice the experience is nothing like the adjustment you get with a Zeiss microscope eyepiece and apparently, as Johnny points out, the Denk mechanism.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: Mark V diopter adjustment new [Re: Doug D.]
      #5681739 - 02/15/13 03:07 PM

It's analogous to using a zoom in that the Denk helicals allow you to eek out the very last possible bit of detail. I don't know about y'all but my individual eyes's focus seems to change ever so slightly at times, and a little turn of the Denks back and forth assures me I have the crispiest possible view. It may be just a mental thing but with the Denks I enjoy "dialing it in" and I know each eye is always perfectly focused.

Ah! Another point - eyepiece pairs are not always perfectly matched to the nth degree as far as length and focus position. And they don't always seat perfectly the same way. The Denks allow the user to quickly and cleanly adjust this discrepancy out while viewing.

Edited by johnnyha (02/15/13 03:21 PM)

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mark V diopter adjustment [Re: johnnyha]
      #5681804 - 02/15/13 03:39 PM

Quote:

Ah! Another point - eyepiece pairs are not always perfectly matched to the nth degree as far as length and focus position. And they don't always seat perfectly the same way. The Denks allow the user to quickly and cleanly adjust this discrepancy out while viewing.

This was quite apparent to me recently when I finally got a chance to try out a pair of Leica ASPH zooms in my MkV - the adapter necessary to use the zooms caused just such a slight discrepancy. It was workable but still a bit annoying. Moot point in the end because I just didn't get on with the combo, just too large, heavy and unwieldy when all put together. The older I get, the simpler I like it (or maybe the simpler I get?).

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1874

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics