Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1
Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
Moon Occults Jupiter, Vesta & Star – Feb 18-20
      #5682331 - 02/15/13 08:57 PM

The 56% illuminated waxing gibbous Moon will occult Jupiter for observers in southern Australia during the night of 2013 FEB 18-19. There will be a full occultation for folks south of the graze path. Immersion will occur on the lunar dark limb and emersion on the bright limb.

Later that same day the Moon will occult the brightest asteroid, 4 Vesta. For portions of western Africa it will be a nighttime event. Much of South America is in the occultation zone, but during the daytime. However, during the following night many South Americans will be treated to an occultation of the star Zeta Tauri.

For these events I’ve created related graphics with data that can be found on my occultations webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/occultations

Photos and descriptions of the occultations would be welcome additions to this thread. Timing predictions for specific locations will be provided, if you reply to this post with a longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RobK
sage

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Bright, Vic, Australia
Re: Moon Occults Jupiter, Vesta & Star – Feb 18-20 new [Re: Centaur]
      #5691489 - 02/20/13 06:29 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

In the absence of other replies, I did manage to observe and image the occultation in less than optimal conditions, from central Victoria, Australia. Aside from the low altitude of the event, there was thick bushfire smoke and cloud to contend with.

The attached image is a mosaic of several images obtained with a Celestron NexImage through a 4.5" f8 reflector. I've retained the orange "Bushfire Moon" colours, striking visually as well as through the camera.

Here is a link to an animation of the disappearance of Jupiter. At no time were the moons of Jupiter visible through the eyepiece (indeed, nearby Aldebaran was not visible naked-eye!) and I only got the faintest trace of the moons photographically in very over-exposed shot in better skies before the occultation.
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/Jupiteroccanimation.gif

The emergence of Jupiter from the lit limb of the Moon was unfortunately obscured by a band of thick cloud. However here is a badly seeing & smoke-affected image of Jupiter off the bright limb shortly afterwards. The thicker smoke produced a redder image.
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/21img.jpg

Despite all the difficulties, it was still a wonderful event to observe. I'm really happy to get what I got in terms of images.

Cheers -

Rob

Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
Re: Moon Occults Jupiter, Vesta & Star – Feb 18-20 new [Re: RobK]
      #5691526 - 02/20/13 06:50 PM

Thanks for your fine report, photos and animation, Rob. I'm glad you got see it. Those of us up north are being shut out from most occultations this year, but at least you have allowed us to experience one vicariously.

I know how a wildfire can affect the apparent coloring of the Moon. A year and a half ago there was one in Minnesota 400 miles to our north. The wind was blowing toward Chicagoland. Below is a link showing how the Moon looked to us. For me it brings back a strong memory of the smell of the smoke.

www.CurtRenz.com/FM110913.jpg

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
Re: Moon Occults Jupiter, Vesta & Star – Feb 18-20 new [Re: Centaur]
      #5691600 - 02/20/13 07:40 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

That's a great image Rob...

67champ
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/03/06

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Moon Occults Jupiter, Vesta & Star – Feb 18-20 new [Re: RobK]
      #5691826 - 02/20/13 09:58 PM

I like!

dana t

RobDob
sage

Reged: 04/10/10

Loc: Brentwood (East Bay Area), CA
Re: Moon Occults Jupiter, Vesta & Star – Feb 18-20 new [Re: 67champ]
      #5691832 - 02/20/13 10:02 PM

Me too!!!

You can even see Jupiter's two main cloud belts. Kudos Rob! Very well done amongst adverse conditions.

Rob

RobK
sage

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Bright, Vic, Australia
Re: Moon Occults Jupiter, Vesta & Star – Feb 18-20 new [Re: RobDob]
      #5694129 - 02/22/13 07:46 AM

Thanks all!

Rob

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 555

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics