Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
k9yr

Reged: 05/21/08

Loc: Far North suburbs of Chicago
Books on dressing for cold weather while observing
      #5682658 - 02/16/13 12:28 AM

Are there any books or guides on dressing for cold weather while observing? Might be something to add to our club library

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: k9yr]
      #5683074 - 02/16/13 09:46 AM

I doubt there are whole books on that subject but I am sure ample information is probably contained in guide-type books about hiking or mountaineering. Additionally, every well equipped library for amy individual or group involved with any outdoor activity should have a copy of The Boy Scout Handbook.

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5683420 - 02/16/13 12:33 PM

I'm sure I've seen threads here on CN that have addressed this topic, so a search should turn up something.

From my own experience, I'd say wear layers that you can put on and take off as needed, and wear undergarments, like Under Armour, that wick away moisture. And, make sure you keep your head and feet warm, lest the rest of you be miserable. I live in Oklahoma, where it generally doesn't get too awfully cold, so dressing for the weather is pretty easy. A set of Carhart coveralls or insulated bib overalls is a very handy thing to have.

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5684087 - 02/16/13 07:10 PM

The saying at astronomy club goes like this:
Dress for 20 degrees colder than the thermometer. If you decide not to do it, you'll learn.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5684585 - 02/17/13 02:28 AM

Quote:

I'm sure I've seen threads here on CN that have addressed this topic, so a search should turn up something.

Here's a couple: One

Two

Eric

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5684637 - 02/17/13 04:55 AM

I guess it's all about layers

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5684741 - 02/17/13 08:17 AM

Quote:

Are there any books or guides on dressing for cold weather while observing?

There's definitely not a full book's worth to say on that.

The bottom line is: Wear plenty of clothing everywhere on your body, including your head, legs, and feet. Normal street shoes are not adequate for seriously cold weather. And hands and face poses special problems for stargazers.

k9yr

Reged: 05/21/08

Loc: Far North suburbs of Chicago
Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5685599 - 02/17/13 05:36 PM

Thanks for the tips, looks like there is a small void in the book market for Astronomers

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5685602 - 02/17/13 05:38 PM

Why need a book for dressing in cold weather - just do it!

I use doule thick underarmor top & bottoms, ski overalls, double insulated boots (oversized insulated boots with insulation from 1st boots that were my size), thick insulated camping socks, two sweat shirts with hoods, down jacket with hood, dual facemasks, and finger folding mittens (to be able to expose fingingers for tightening thumb screws when changing eyepieces.

Add/remove layers as needed. Before ki overalls and underarmor I ised to wear 3 jeans.

Good luck!

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5685603 - 02/17/13 05:38 PM

Why need a book for dressing in cold weather - just do it!

I use doule thick underarmor top & bottoms, ski overalls, double insulated boots (oversized insulated boots with insulation from 1st boots that were my size), thick insulated camping socks, two sweat shirts with hoods, down jacket with hood, dual facemasks, and finger folding mittens (to be able to expose fingingers for tightening thumb screws when changing eyepieces.

Add/remove layers as needed. Before ki overalls and underarmor I ised to wear 3 jeans.

Good luck!

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: rookie]
      #5685734 - 02/17/13 06:50 PM

Quote:

The saying at astronomy club goes like this:
Dress for 20 degrees colder than the thermometer. If you decide not to do it, you'll learn.

Great advice. 50 can definitely feel like 30 if you're outside for hours and not moving around much.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5688879 - 02/19/13 01:02 PM

Be careful relying on dressing advice from hobbies with higher levels of activity. Astronomy is a sedentary pursuit. You need to dress far warmer for sitting around at -10F than you do for climbing a glacier at that temperature. I think the best advice is to dress in layers, far more warmly than you think you'll need. It's easy to remove layers. It's hard to warm up in the cold once you get too cold.

If it's really cold here (high 20s is really cold for my home site) I've been known to wear an 8000 Meter suit for an all-nighter. Mine is the North Face variety, but many other gear makers offer them (Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, etc.). Yeah, I look like the Michelin Man, but I've never NOT needed to unzip the front for venting. Extreme? Yep, but it's better to be over-prepared than unready any day.

http://141.217.114.68/tmp/ebay-0708winter/climb.jpg

Mine's red, not yellow, but you get the idea. Very light and warm, and requires only a baselayer top and bottom underneath for even the coldest nights suitable for observing. You still need to deal with your feet and head, but the thick waterproof down hood lets you get away with beanie and facemask. For feet, thick, tall wool socks, Kamik, Sorel or Baffin PAC boots, and proper closure of the ankles of the suit around the boots.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (02/20/13 10:28 PM)

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5688941 - 02/19/13 01:45 PM

Layering is the key. The more layers the better. And like Jim said, it doesn't have to be the high quality top brand stuff. Just wear lots of layers. If you need something for your hands I highly recomend glomitts. Numerous outdoor sales places sell them. I have these these.

Edited by LivingNDixie (02/19/13 01:46 PM)

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5689631 - 02/19/13 08:07 PM

I much prefer one or two thick layers to many thin layers. It's less time-consuming to put on and take off, and also less cumbersome.

As for getting too hot ... that's never a problem for me doing astronomy in cold weather. I often strip down to a T-shirt when I'm cross-country skiing at 20F. But I rarely have to unzip my down jacket when I'm doing astronomy at 50F.

However, if you happen to own a bunch of thin layers that will work, using them is cheaper than buying a thick layer.

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5691750 - 02/20/13 08:56 PM

I've never had to wear more than four layers under any conditions--even at forty below, sitting around trying to cook dinner. Too many layers and you begin to bulk up under the arms and in your crotch--which begins, in turn, to limit circulation. If you need many multiple layers because that's all you have, fine. But good thick layers are better. Jim's outfit is superb; pricey, but superb. Lots of our guides use them in the the Antarctic and the Himalaya.

Dark skies.

Jack

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5691868 - 02/20/13 10:26 PM

Incidentally, if you wait until the end of Himalaya summiting season (end of May) you can pick up ab 8000M suit for much less than the MSRP. I bought mine the year before last in June for ~$400. Retail on that one is $1000. You can also get basically the same suit as a two-piece (overalls and parka) for about the same price, but I find the one piece suits warmer than the two piece units in breezy cold conditions.

Regards,

Jim

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Books on dressing for cold weather while observing new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5691967 - 02/20/13 11:24 PM

Quote:

Incidentally, if you wait until the end of Himalaya summiting season (end of May) you can pick up ab 8000M suit for much less than the MSRP. I bought mine the year before last in June for ~$400. Retail on that one is $1000. You can also get basically the same suit as a two-piece (overalls and parka) for about the same price, but I find the one piece suits warmer than the two piece units in breezy cold conditions.

Regards,

Jim

Good info. A couple of times I've observed and camped at Chiefland when it was in the 20's, and an 8000M suit would've been great.

LB16europe

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Spain
      #5692852 - 02/21/13 02:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tips, looks like there is a small void in the book market for Astronomers

Why don't you write such a book?

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5693367 - 02/21/13 07:19 PM

Also, bear in mind that different areas require different clothing in order to keep warm. In my area it's a dry cold, whereas in the Southern states, it's a damp cold. Also, it depends on a person's "cold" tolerance. I'm comfortable down to about 10 degrees to be outside shoveling snow without a jacket. However, viewing, one is not moving much, so cold will be noticed much sooner. I always wear a very good warm hat, & good foot protection, such as my Sorels. No two people will be comfortable in the cold with the exact same clothing.

Best thing, is simply to try different clothing you already have, & see if it's sufficient first; and then if not, decide where you felt the cold most, and go from there.

PJ Anway
Double-Star Observer

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: North Coast
      #5693499 - 02/21/13 08:26 PM

I live on the northcoast (Lake Superior) and a lot of my viewing is done in the cold. Here is my typical cold weather outfit: wool is at the top of my list - wool vest, wool sweater, wool pants. Next the extremities: 1) LaCross Iceman boots (think Sorels on steroids) for the feet, 2) a nice thick tuque for the head and 3) convertible mittens for the hands (mittens with concealed finger holes). Works for me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1988

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics