Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/09

Loc: Sand Springs Okla.
Bummer new
      #5683021 - 02/16/13 09:20 AM

Yesterday I was planning on showing my 5x8 box trailer to a perspective buyer. It is the trailer I used to carry my Telescope equipment to my Sidewalk events until I got a camper shell for my truck. I parked at work in the morning planning on going to my sidewalk event when I got off of work. When I got off work all that was left was the cut lock from the hitch. Not only did they get the trailer but there was also a pair of Right Angle 88mm Apogee binoculars, and a Celestron CG5 telescope mount.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jammer53

Reged: 12/18/12

Loc: Central NY
Re: Bummer new [Re: Tim Gilliland]
      #5683057 - 02/16/13 09:37 AM

Good Lord. That's terrible. I cannot abide a thief. Hopefully you had insurance.

Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Re: Bummer new [Re: Jammer53]
      #5683073 - 02/16/13 09:46 AM

I have full coverage on the truck. It does not carry more than liability to the trailer. My homeowners would cover contents for over the deductible. I might get a small amount back.

tjv323

Reged: 01/03/13

Re: Bummer [Re: Tim Gilliland]
      #5683098 - 02/16/13 09:59 AM

I'm assuming you filed a police report? Did you put the trailer where you told the perspective buyer to meet you? Could have been them.

Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Re: Bummer new [Re: tjv323]
      #5683147 - 02/16/13 10:20 AM

Yes I did file a report, no he had no way off knowing where it was. He had no idea where I work. And insult on injury is, he had stated he didn't quite have enough cash just yet and asked if I would hold it for a small deposit which I had agreed but wanted him to see it in person first. When he showed up he had raised the whole amount. And intended to buy it then and there.

Madratter
Postmaster

Reged: 01/14/13

#5683178 - 02/16/13 10:42 AM

Wow. That really stinks. I've had my home broken into, so I can definitely empathize.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5683194 - 02/16/13 10:48 AM

If you have ever mentioned your workplace or if your name is on the company website a thief could find that by Googling;or if a thief found your home address through phone listings then he could shadow you to work,and steal the trailer knowing you would be busy inside.A pair of bolt cutters is as fast as a key,and the whole process of pulling next to your vehicle,cutting the lock,hooking to the thief's vehicle could take less than 5 minutes.

I'm not giving thieves any ideas here they already know these things.

The binos will likely be in a pawn shop or on ebay or craigslist within hours.

Doubtful the police will find ,or even look for the trailer and contents;a friend had his shop emptied of expensive machinists tools and was told to collect the insurance and let the police know if HE saw any of the items offered for sale anywhere.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Bummer new [Re: BigC]
      #5683380 - 02/16/13 12:14 PM

wow that really is a bummer. Good luck in getting the scope items and trailer back.

Madratter
Postmaster

Reged: 01/14/13

Re: Bummer new [Re: BigC]
      #5683470 - 02/16/13 12:53 PM

Quote:

If you have ever mentioned your workplace or if your name is on the company website a thief could find that by Googling;or if a thief found your home address through phone listings then he could shadow you to work,and steal the trailer knowing you would be busy inside.A pair of bolt cutters is as fast as a key,and the whole process of pulling next to your vehicle,cutting the lock,hooking to the thief's vehicle could take less than 5 minutes.

I'm not giving thieves any ideas here they already know these things.

The binos will likely be in a pawn shop or on ebay or craigslist within hours.

Doubtful the police will find ,or even look for the trailer and contents;a friend had his shop emptied of expensive machinists tools and was told to collect the insurance and let the police know if HE saw any of the items offered for sale anywhere.

With my house, we did in fact end up finding some of the items. We notified the police, they got the records from the shop, and the thief was caught and prosecuted. But only because we found the items.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5684177 - 02/16/13 08:19 PM

I am truly sorry! I hope your trailer turns up, and in usable condition. Keep your spirits up. We can't let the bad guys win.

Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Re: Bummer new [Re: GeneT]
      #5684209 - 02/16/13 08:47 PM

Quote:

I am truly sorry! I hope your trailer turns up, and in usable condition. Keep your spirits up. We can't let the bad guys win.

Thanks, I will. Actually I am tickeled pink that I no longer carry my 17.5 Discovery Dob, Blandin platform, and Televue Ethos bag in the trailer. They where all in the pickup that the trailer was attached to.

David Castillo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/06

Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca
      #5685298 - 02/17/13 02:04 PM

This is proof that Lowlifer's just can't get enough trailer to suit themselves. I hope that you recover the trailer soon.
----
Dave

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Bummer new [Re: David Castillo]
      #5685657 - 02/17/13 06:04 PM

Tim next time try a lock like this. lock I sure hope you get something back,

Tim Gilliland
professor emeritus

Re: Bummer new [Re: panhard]
      #5689447 - 02/19/13 06:34 PM

We have a security camera photo. It's poor quality but might do the trick!

geekgroupie
sage

Reged: 01/07/12

Loc: Puebo, CO
      #5689757 - 02/19/13 09:26 PM

Major waaaa.... I've been unfortunately lately as well... the LED burned out on my starpointer, broke the power cord that runs from scope to vehicle.... and then a couple days later dropped the OTA and cracked the glass. If it's not one thing, it's 1/2 dozen another. Plus I was in Texas Hill Country and those hills and trees really messed me up... I'm so spoiled being out here in these West Texas barren plains with vast horizons. Actually, I kinda like it when I have a good excuse to go shopping.... and shopping I did... new scope on order.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 836

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics