Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
AlbertaSun

Reged: 02/15/13

Loc: Alberta
Antares SWA(2) 7.2 or an Explore Scientific 6.7
      #5683383 - 02/16/13 12:16 PM

As you can see from my tagline, I have a Celestron Onyx 80 Optical Tube. I am just getting started and the largest eyepiece I have is a 15 mm Plossl and I do have a 2x Barlow. To achieve near the useful magnification spec (189x) for my scope I am contemplating getting an eyepiece in the 6mm range (would give 167x if my math correct).

I am sure there are other high end/high priced eyepieces to consider, however,from a lot of searching that I have done here, these seem to be good eyepieces at good prices. I would appreciate any input (am I on track for size? are there others to consider in this price range? is there one of these that I should favor over the other? etc.)

Thanks
Larry

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
Re: Antares SWA(2) 7.2 or an Explore Scientific 6.7 new [Re: AlbertaSun]
      #5683800 - 02/16/13 04:08 PM

Eyepiece magnification is calculated:

Telescope Focal Length / Eyepiece Focal Length

If I correctly found your telescope and it's focal length is 500mm then the 6mm eyepiece would deliver 83X and with the 2x barlow you'd have 166x. Relaize also that to max out the magnification on any telescope requires great seeing. YMMV but if the views with that telescope are crisp at 166X (looks like you got that right enough) you're skies are darn steady. and much better then mine. I'm happy when seeing delivers 40x per inch.

Edited by howard929 (02/16/13 04:13 PM)

AlbertaSun

Reged: 02/15/13

Loc: Alberta
Re: Antares SWA(2) 7.2 or an Explore Scientific 6.7 new [Re: howard929]
      #5683960 - 02/16/13 05:54 PM

howard - thanks for the input - this is just the kind of "experienced" input that I am looking for. I admittedly have not done a lot of observation as yet through this equipment so how steady the tube will stay - not sure. My observations will vary in town to out on the farm (very low light pollution) so it is also hard to say.

From your info, I think you suggest that a top magnification of around 125x (40 d") is more realistic to pursue. This help's because the two pieces that I am considering are closer to 7's, giving magnifications of around 139x to 147x. I was worried that I was giving up something - from your comments I may be gaining.

Thanks
Larry

dlapoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/18/03

Loc: Moncton NB Canada
Re: Antares SWA(2) 7.2 or an Explore Scientific 6.7 new [Re: AlbertaSun]
      #5684415 - 02/16/13 11:15 PM

I,ve owned 2 Antares 7.2mm ep, and I have 6 es ep,s, but not the 6.7(still waiting) the Antares will be sharper, but It is not an ergonomic ep, and suffers from black outs. Antares also has horrible qc. 50 percent of the eps I raved from them were damaged. I ordered 4 and 2 were bad, got the replacements and one was bad. Id go with es

Albie
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/22/05

Loc: Alberta,Canada
Re: Antares SWA(2) 7.2 or an Explore Scientific 6.7 new [Re: dlapoint]
      #5691640 - 02/20/13 07:55 PM

I've got three Antares SWA's new series.Great ep's for the $$.
My 4.9 has a rattle in the bottom lens and has been tightened by myself a few times.Perhaps a little loctite is in order.
I had a couple of the previous series(7.5 and 10mm) and feel that the fit,finish and qc was better with the previous series but not the view.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Antares SWA(2) 7.2 or an Explore Scientific 6.7 new [Re: Albie]
      #5691861 - 02/20/13 10:21 PM

Happy Birthday Alan !!!

woot woot lol

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 418

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics