Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Variable Star Observing and Radio Astronomy

Pages: 1
Nick Rose

Reged: 11/01/10

Loc: San Mateo, CA
Possible SN ????
      #5683616 - 02/16/13 02:16 PM

Last night while I was setting up my telescope to capture 2012 DA14 on it's way out I was looking towards Polaris and noticed something. There was a bright pinpoint flash about 10 +/- 5 deg. to the right of Polaris. It was not a meteor or satellite since it did not move. The brightness was about the same as Polaris or a little bit brighter and it only lasted 1-2sec. I want to say it is a possible SN but I thought they stay bright for several days or weeks.

What was this????

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: Possible SN ???? new [Re: Nick Rose]
      #5684024 - 02/16/13 06:30 PM

Most likely a satellite flare; reflection from solar panels. Flares from the Iridium satellites can reach mag. -7 but smaller or more distant satellites can be much fainter.

Even gamma ray bursters remain "bright" optically for longer than a couple of seconds, but mag. 2 would be tens of times brighter than any other GRB recorded.

The next most likely after a satellite flare is an ordinary meteor seen head on so no or very little apparent motion in the sky.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS) 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 939

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics