Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
Jay B

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Richmond, Virginia USA
Imaging source camera try new
      #5682574 - 02/15/13 11:19 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

Hi:
I had a few folks ask me to post results on trying an imaging source camera -dbk 618 - for electronically assisted astonomy. I was able last night to take a shot of the orion nebula and nearby NGC 2261 - Hubble's variable nebula with a celestron cpc 9.25 inch using .5x focal reducer in what I would say are semi-rural skys.
Orion was taken at 5 seconds show while NGC2261 was at 9 seconds. The attached are with no stacking-so this is what I was seeing. This is way more than I can achieve visually. I couldn't begin to tell you how this would compare to another camera at these exposures since my experience has been planetary imaging not in this area.
A downsize for this camera is the small chip- which makes it a little more difficult to find an object on the screen-I would guess. The plus with this camera is the software which makes real time imaging easy-- these cameras are designed as industrial grade web type cameras so I believe the software is made for real time viewing. Anyways, I would say if you already own one and want to give this a try it is worth getting a focal reducer to see if you might want to pursue this type of viewing more.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jay B

Re: Imaging source camera try new [Re: Jay B]
      #5682575 - 02/15/13 11:19 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Here is hubble's variable nebula.

Edited by Jay B (02/15/13 11:22 PM)

mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
      #5682643 - 02/16/13 12:15 AM

Thanks for the images, they look clean with very little to no visible noise . It's clear that the camera can do more, image fainter objects . Exposure time could be increased, the 5 sec are more or less like the x128 sense up . Gain could be increased too. Also, a .5x focal reducer is on the moderate side. You could use .33x and get both the advantage of a wider field and brighter images. Most video cams use more extreme reducers for M42 than you did.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Imaging source camera try new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5682912 - 02/16/13 07:56 AM

I've had a lot of fun observing with my DBK21 and DMK21. The software is very well suited for real-time viewing of the streaming video and there are excellent controls available to adjust the live image. I haven't used it on my camera-assisted observing gear yet, it's usually on my planetary imaging scope, but this encourages me to experiment with it a bit more. Thanks for sharing!

Jay B

Re: Imaging source camera try new [Re: jgraham]
      #5683259 - 02/16/13 11:15 AM

Thanks for the comments. I was trying to represent what I could see close to live (under 10 seconds) I had the gain set at about 75-80% of the camera's potential, so it could have went higher. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good .33x focal reducer?
Jay

Edited by Jay B (02/16/13 11:17 AM)

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #5683287 - 02/16/13 11:26 AM

I have the Celestron f/3.3 reducer, but it is a tad finicky. I rarely use it. The f/6.3 is very nice.

bhuvfe

Reged: 01/14/11

Re: Imaging source camera try [Re: Jay B]
      #5683916 - 02/16/13 05:25 PM

Don't buy a new meade 0.33 focal reducer. I have it and I cannot go lower than 0.45 without image degradation on the edges. The new optec is a lot better (but more expensive).
The celestron 0.63 is fine. Using a cheap 0.5 + a 0.63 is also a way to get to f <4.

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 596

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics