Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Mr Magoo]
      #5575079 - 12/17/12 01:14 AM

Quote:

The last 2 cans of Hammered paint were the same way. Not sure if they have changed the formula or what. I had to really put it on heavy to get it to "separate" and get some hammer effect. Looking good!

I've never had good luck with Hammered paint - but the job on this pier column did come out uniform and I'm going to keep it at that. It would be nice if the manufactures would put the ideal conditions to use with their directions - temperature and humidity have a huge influence on the outcome and they only give a wide range of temperature to spray at... If they had a chart that had the temperature, humidity and coat thickness required for uniform results, wouldn't that be nice?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Datapanic]
      #5586190 - 12/23/12 07:55 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

Today, I finished up putting the clock drive back together and adjusting it. Originally, I was planning on blinging it up a little with new stainless steel fasteners, but it turns out the fasteners are hard to find. Most of them are not standard nor fine thread - they are somewhere in between, like #10 with 28 threads/inch. Normally, #10's are 24 or 32. I haven't been able to find a source for these odd sizes anywhere! So, I used the Dremel and cleaned them all up. I do have some fasteners that I could find replacements for on order - should be here next week or so.

The motor has been running for over 24 hours now with no issues! The original bolts holding it to the worm block will be replaced.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#5586194 - 12/23/12 07:58 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

The Dec Shaft was a real challenge. After removing the spray paint that was covering up the rust and removing the rust with Evapo-Rust, I refinished the the shaft by wet-sanding with progressive grades starting at 220 and ending at 1500, then polish.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#5586196 - 12/23/12 08:00 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

But as you can see, years out in the elements have done its damage to the shaft and there are very deep and large pits that are not going to go away without taking off a significant amount of steel.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
      #5586654 - 12/24/12 04:58 AM

Hi Dan,

What is the purpose of the small pins that go through the clutch plate on the RV6 motor? I sheared one of mine off and need either to fix or ignore.

JimC

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
      #5586930 - 12/24/12 10:15 AM

That's looking great Dan. And wow, those are some very deep pits in that shaft. I suppose to save cost Criterion used some fairly low grade steel for those shafts.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5587110 - 12/24/12 12:03 PM

Quote:

Hi Dan,

What is the purpose of the small pins that go through the clutch plate on the RV6 motor? I sheared one of mine off and need either to fix or ignore.

JimC

I'm not sure what those pins are for. There's only 2 of them instead of 3 placed symmetrically around the clutch. I can't imagine that they are any form of a guide pin. They could serve as a way to minimize play between the clutch plates.

So far, I've been impressed by the quality machining of the mount. Having never seen an RV-6 up close before, my assumption was that they were cheap for a reason, but that doesn't seem to be the case!

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: PiSigma]
      #5587120 - 12/24/12 12:11 PM

Quote:

That's looking great Dan. And wow, those are some very deep pits in that shaft. I suppose to save cost Criterion used some fairly low grade steel for those shafts.

I guess. I was thinking about replacing the shaft, but so far, I haven't been able to separate the cradle from the shaft. There is a set screw on the top end, but even with that removed, the shaft isn't budging and I don't want to break or crack the cradle trying to force the shaft to move. I even tried soaking the set screw hole and the area where the shaft goes in to the cradle with liquid wrench to no avail.

It's probably better to just leave the original shaft like it is. It does function, after all!

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#5587631 - 12/24/12 07:02 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

I think I'm going to go for the Aged But Shiny effect. The circle pointers were also pitted from rust, but they match the Dec Shaft!

The RA Circle, cleaned up well. I lightly sanded with 400 grit paper on up to 1500 to first remove the paint and then have a surface smooth enough to polish. I was not able to take the thing apart, so I made a homemade grease-gun with a tube of Silicon Lube and a small nozzle to squirt the lube in the hole where the set screw is now. The lube helps with the metal on metal noise and gives it a slight resistance when turning it.

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: Franklin, Indiana
      #5587659 - 12/24/12 07:18 PM

I'm pretty sure what you are seeing are pits in chrome plating. Mine had that to some degree. The more you sand on it, the worse it will rust. I wax mine regularly with a silicone wax.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Mr Magoo]
      #5684381 - 02/16/13 10:50 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

After a lot of discussion on Green Felt, I followed Dave Groski's advice to use thin felt, because the rings are already a tight fit and thicker felt would make too tight of a fit for the tube.

After cutting the strips, I tried using Scotch Permanent Double Sided tape. It stuck to the felt well, but was not very good sticking to the ring sides. So, trash that idea!

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#5684383 - 02/16/13 10:52 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Method 2 worked out much better - Elmer's Rubber Cement was brushed on the backside of the felt strips with a light coat and then applied to the inside of the rings.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#5684388 - 02/16/13 10:57 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Closeup of the clamp side of the rings, showing the wrinkle black paint, a new stud with pin and wing nut.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#5684420 - 02/16/13 11:19 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Here's the completed mount. The resizing of the image makes the wrinkle black paint looked specked and the Dec Shaft is not that bad looking!

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! [Re: Datapanic]
      #5684431 - 02/16/13 11:25 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

The tube is going to need a lot of work. It has deep gouges, cracks and delamination going on from top to bottom. I think some fiberglass (without the cloth), Bondo and Spotting Putty are all going to be used to get it smooth before painting.

At the eyepiece end, you can see double holes for the focuser as well as the non-stock finder. If you look closely, you can see indentations of the original finder bracket, which is rectangular, but the holes are not there! I did find a Criterion Finder and Bracket from Don Rothman of Astro Parts Outlet.

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
      #6309154 - 01/12/14 09:42 PM

Dan, have you finished this up yet?

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6309208 - 01/12/14 10:09 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Nope - I've been slackin'! But, I did find the proper drive screws for the name plates that go on the OTA and Mount. Unfortunately, I ordered the wrong size - I ordered size 2's and I think I should have gone with size 4's. The place I ordered them from is Rivets Online and the minimum is a box of 100. I don't know why they sent me a bag of 60 and a bag of 40 when I ordered them - all I needed was 4!

I'll order the #4's, but that place does not have #4-1/4" length which I think is the length of the originals.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#6309215 - 01/12/14 10:12 PM Attachment (2 downloads)

Here's the mount, all done. The OTA is still all apart and just about ready for paint, but the temps are too low for that right now.

The Mirror and Secondary were recoated and are tucked away safe in a box.

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
      #6309258 - 01/12/14 10:29 PM

Looks like your doing a fine job Finish that puppy up! Or I'm gonna come up and finish it for you

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
      #6309538 - 01/13/14 03:57 AM

Yeah it's too cold for paint. I had to wait a full week just for a rattle can first coat and later touch up. It took a few days between the first and touch up, then a few days before I would handle it. Paint can cure for over a week easy in mild weather, not to mention a bit chilly.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3859

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics