Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
CharlesW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Mallincam VRC
      #5684961 - 02/17/13 11:01 AM

I was looking at the Mallincam website and I saw that he is selling RC OTAs. I read how he has had them modified for use with his cameras, but are they useable for visual and regular AP?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
Re: Mallincam VRC new [Re: CharlesW]
      #5685052 - 02/17/13 11:55 AM

Quote:

I was looking at the Mallincam website and I saw that he is selling RC OTAs. I read how he has had them modified for use with his cameras, but are they useable for visual and regular AP?

Depends what the modifications are.
The one and only clear thing that is said about those RC GSO scopes is that they have the primary moved a few mm closer to the secondary up the tube , in order to allow all cameras to come to focus without removing focuser spacers . It is asserted several times that the scopes are optimised for video without saying what or how they were modified if at all, so just based on that written info it's not possible to say whether they would work or not for your application.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Mallincam VRC new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5685103 - 02/17/13 12:17 PM

Yes, you can use them for regular AP and visual.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Mallincam VRC new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5685142 - 02/17/13 12:40 PM

A simple "I don't know" would have been sufficient.

Yes, they are useable for the OPs applications.

zehnmm

Reged: 12/24/07

Loc: Alto, New Mexico
Re: Mallincam VRC new [Re: rmollise]
      #5686788 - 02/18/13 11:03 AM

I have a CGEM ready to accept one. Have a VRC 8" on order and expect to get it next month. At first, this will be just visual. As my funds allow, will add AP, most likely via the Mallincam Universe.

Will post my experience in the future.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Mallincam VRC new [Re: rmollise]
      #5686807 - 02/18/13 11:15 AM

They work perfectly with eyepieces. I had someone bring his 10" VRC and CGEM DX to my house, we set it up and observed the Moon and DSO's with it visually.

Jack Huerkamp

Rossmon
sage

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: Marin County, CA
Re: Mallincam VRC new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5689263 - 02/19/13 04:52 PM

I find that if you want more details on Mallincam gear, it is very helpful to search or follow the yahoo Mallincam site. The special features of the VRC's have been discussed there by Rock at least a few times and there are more than just a closer lens. Since I have not been in the market for one, I'm not going to write about what I only vaguely remember were the details.

Ross

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Mallincam VRC new [Re: Rossmon]
      #5689479 - 02/19/13 06:52 PM

According to what Rock has said in other posts the only physical difference of the core ota is as Matt has said ... the position of the primary mirror. Rock also mentioned that he has each scope he sells checked out on his optical bench which is worth something additional.

It should be noted though that GSO sells their RC scopes through a variety of resellers and depending on which size of scope with a variety of different bits and pieces such as ...

Dovetail bars (D or Vixen width)
One or two bars (bottom and top mounted)
Focuser type
Number of and size of (width) the 90mm spacers
Finderscope
OTA material

Regardless of where someone purchases one of these scopes they should be aware of these potential inclusions/differences and when comparing scopes know exactly how each one is configured.

Rock's 8" VRC is also changing a little bit. The next batch will apparently come with aluminum rather than carbon fibre otas ... and a slight price decrease (yes you read that correctly ... lol).

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1305

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics