Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: NorthBoundTrain]
      #5685016 - 02/17/13 11:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is the Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G even available for actual order yet? I thought it was still aways down the road.

Expected Ship Date: 02/16/2013

FYI...now amended on the Orion web site to 05/02/2013 So what's with these guys, are we about to relive the Meade mount fiasco again? My attention has just focused down on the T-Rex with an honest hard look at the the DSV-3 as an alternative. I am inclining toward the T-Rex due to some recent experiments on motor control done by a fellow CNer...I really like the idea of a powered option. That with Sky Commander would pretty much fulfill my basic requirements.

Clear Skies,
Brian

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
10gauge
sage

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: Boston
Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? [Re: BKBrown]
      #5685872 - 02/17/13 08:10 PM

Hello Brian! People who already own the Skywatcher version of the EQ-6 Pro AZ seem so preoccupied with the GEM mode that they aren't posting anything useful for us in the alt-az mode. I wish I knew better how the Pro AZ feels in alt-az mode compared to the top dedicated mounts? I agree, Orion has pushed the date up 3 times. I won't be surprised if they push it up further. I knew they would be overwhelmed with the pre-orders, especially with the promising initial reports within the past month.

I've gone full circle with GEM and Alt-Az mounts during the past year while I was waiting for my TEC 140 to be built - Atlas, G11, EQ-6 AZ, IEQ45, DM-6, T-Rex, Unistar Deluxe, DSV-3, Orion AZ, Nova Hitch, ES, M150, etc.
Assessing all the pros and cons, and based on smoothness, weight capacity, slow motion, quick slew, push to, encoder adaptation, durability, I came to the conclusion that the T-Rex would be the ideal mount for a TEC 140 and an eventual C11. In your case, since you already have an Atlas GEM, a T-Rex would be ideal.

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: 10gauge]
      #5687059 - 02/18/13 02:46 PM

In regard to the T-Rex motors:

I talked with JMI and they don't feel that enough people will buy the T-Rex to make it worth their while to create a specific motor solution for it.

You can still buy the train-n-track and you can order it with the correct motor shaft connectors for the T-Rex, but you will have to get a little sheet of aluminum from a hardware store to make your own mounting brackets. They are really simple to make, just a pair of sheet metal cutters (tin snips) and a power drill is all you need. Maybe some black paint to make it look good. I am going to paint mine with black hammer textured paint.

I already have the JMI motors and I ordered the motor shaft connectors last Thursday. Just waiting for those to arrive to put the whole thing together.

Those little motor shaft connectors cost me $12.50 each. Seemed a bit pricey to me.

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: Ira]
      #5687077 - 02/18/13 02:53 PM

You can probably motorize the DSV-3 as well. We need to get someone to shoot a detail shot of the shaft area for both AZ and ALT to see where a motor mount plate could be attached. On the T-Rex there are 4 bolts that hold the slo-mo worm gear cover in place, I plan to attach the motor mounting plate to two of those bolts.

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: Lane]
      #5687583 - 02/18/13 07:09 PM

Why not ask Barry, who makes the T-Rex, if he will make the mount for the JMI motors? He would have more interest in having that option available than JMI.

/Ira

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: Ira]
      #5688804 - 02/19/13 12:27 PM

Quote:

Why not ask Barry, who makes the T-Rex, if he will make the mount for the JMI motors? He would have more interest in having that option available than JMI.

/Ira

I will be looking into this again. Besides the motor mount, the real trick is getting a motor than can run direct drive rather than having to implement a belt or gear drive (which simply complicates things). That requires getting a fair amount of torque from a fairly small motor.

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: EFT]
      #5689128 - 02/19/13 03:45 PM

The JMI motors work great without belts or gears, but they are not fast like motors on a CGEM. They are intented only to replace the slo-mo part of the scope. So you would still manually push the mount to a constellation and then use the JMI motors to scan around in that constellation, which I think is what everyone wants to do with these motors. Motors like this are very very quiet, someone standing 20 feet away could not hear these motors at all.

I will have my homemade/JMI solution finished soon and will post pictures. JMI did ask me to send them pictures and dimensions so they might be planning to go ahead and make the mount brackets. It just depends on how many people email them and say they are interested in putting a track-n-train on the T-Rex.

BKBrown
Post Laureate

#5691687 - 02/20/13 08:21 PM

Thanks 10gauge and Lane So I went ahead and ordered the T-Rex...now to concentrate on the motorization. Take it away Ed!

Clear Skies,
Brian

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5691716 - 02/20/13 08:34 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

So now on to the next part. This pic shows the Manny Miles mod for the Porta II that allows the OTA to sit more "naturally" in the saddle. You out there Manny? How about doing this for the T-Rex as a potential project?

Clear Skies,
Brian

Lane
Post Laureate

#5691843 - 02/20/13 10:10 PM

Well JMI got some emails from T-Rex owners and are now more interested in the mount. They might make the motor mounts after all. I am going to help them out by supplying them one of my mounts as a guide. We will just have to wait and see if they follow through.

10gauge
sage

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: Boston
      #5691979 - 02/20/13 11:27 PM

Congratulations Brian on the T-Rex! Looking forward to your next AP photos...
BTW, Orion heard you - they moved up the date by 2 wks to 4/23/2013.

George

Edited by 10gauge (02/20/13 11:32 PM)

BKBrown
Post Laureate

#5693493 - 02/21/13 08:23 PM

Quote:

Well JMI got some emails from T-Rex owners and are now more interested in the mount. They might make the motor mounts after all. I am going to help them out by supplying them one of my mounts as a guide. We will just have to wait and see if they follow through.

That's cool Lane, I sure hope they do come through...if not we'll figure out a solution.

Clear Skies
Brian

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: 10gauge]
      #5693503 - 02/21/13 08:29 PM

Quote:

Congratulations Brian on the T-Rex! Looking forward to your next AP photos...
BTW, Orion heard you - they moved up the date by 2 wks to 4/23/2013.

George

Thanks George The T-Rex looks awesome and I already have a few ideas for modding it. I'd like to fill my waiting time imaging but winter seems to have finally caught up to us in Virginia and the seeing is trash. I think the jet stream is parked over my house, and they promise us a "wintery mix" here tomorrow
That's funny about Orion; wish we really did have that kind of influence...

Clear Skies,
Brian

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/08/04

Loc: New York City
      #5698536 - 02/24/13 04:28 PM

I am not sure I am understanding why you guys are interested in motorizing the T-Rex. The whole point of having it to begin with is to enjoy the simplicity, as you say Lane, it just pops out and back into the bag almost fully assembled. If you add motors, you'll have to carry a battery. Why not just get a regular eq mount then?

The T-Rex is a fantastic mount. It is VERY fun to use. I sold mine a while back, but am contemplating another because I miss playing with it. It handled my Edge HD 11 with ease. The manual workings of it make you one with the mount. Adding motors would destroy that feeling, and complicate things. The Sky Commander is fun and more than adequate for an altaz mount.

Good luck, Chris

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

#5698544 - 02/24/13 04:31 PM

Brian, here is all you need to know about the Rex...

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2699

wrz0170
sage

Reged: 03/08/12

Loc: Bethlehem, Pa
Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? new [Re: thesubwaypusher]
      #5698811 - 02/24/13 07:26 PM

Quote:

This review was a huge help in making my decision in favor of the T-Rex. I don't have any regrets. As mentioned before, it is a joy to use. Even the wife remarks how easy the controls are. It handles my SV80ST as well as my C9.25 Edge.

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? [Re: thesubwaypusher]
      #5698821 - 02/24/13 07:37 PM

Quote:

I am not sure I am understanding why you guys are interested in motorizing the T-Rex. The whole point of having it to begin with is to enjoy the simplicity, as you say Lane, it just pops out and back into the bag almost fully assembled. If you add motors, you'll have to carry a battery. Why not just get a regular eq mount then?

The T-Rex is a fantastic mount. It is VERY fun to use. I sold mine a while back, but am contemplating another because I miss playing with it. It handled my Edge HD 11 with ease. The manual workings of it make you one with the mount. Adding motors would destroy that feeling, and complicate things. The Sky Commander is fun and more than adequate for an altaz mount.

Good luck, Chris

Hi Chris,

I understand where you are coming from but different folks have different requirements. Adding a battery to the gear is nothing compared to what I have to do when taking a complete Atlas to the field...the T-Rex will be in business just as quick with the motors as without. I often do a lot of high power observing during a session and that is why I want slow motion control, but I have increasing arthritis issues with my hands. Turning knobs can become painful after a while, not so pushing a button and that's why I want the motors. I will still be able to set up with minimal effort, slew quickly, find my targets with Sky Commander, AND observe at high power for long periods if I want to; so there is a method to the madness. I'm not afraid to mod a piece of gear if it will make it more convenient and efficient for me; the T-Rex will be no exception. And as you said, it handled your C11 Edge with no problem and that is one of the OTAs I have as well, also a C925 and a TEC 140 - and the T-Rex should be just the visual observing ticket for all of them

Clear Skies,
Brian

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? [Re: thesubwaypusher]
      #5698823 - 02/24/13 07:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks Chris!

Clear Skies,
Brian

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? [Re: wrz0170]
      #5700135 - 02/25/13 04:06 PM

This makes me very happy. Thanks dude!

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: T-Rex or Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G? [Re: BKBrown]
      #5700160 - 02/25/13 04:18 PM

Oh, an Atlas and counterweights. Okay, now I understand your comparison better Brian. Good luck with the motors and please post pictures as I and many others would be curious as to how they work.

You are going to love the Rex, and Ed and Barry provide excellent support. Just make sure you get the right color!

Good luck with your project. Actually, it sounds like fun!

Thanks, Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5441

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics