Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Space Rocks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Dave MModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5682056 - 02/15/13 05:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

According to that article they've already found 3 craters! I wonder how many of the meteorite hunters are already on a flight there?

I'd certainly love a sample of that one!!! Wonder how strict the laws are in Russia, for meteorite hunters?

Me 2, i wonder if they will find a boat load of fragments like they found from the Sikhote-Alin meteor.
Certainly hope the people are all ok, seen reports where over 1,000 were injured.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Oort Cloud 9
Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: Dave M]
      #5682104 - 02/15/13 06:18 PM

Beware any meteorites being offered for sale from this new fall - they are probably fakes. It will take some time before genuine specimens show up on the collector market, if they do at all.

There are a few respected Russian meteorite dealers. I am contacting them now to find out what the laws are in Russia regarding this, and if any specimens have been found yet.

One lesson here - we need to keep funding our sky-watch programs.

Dave MModerator
Postmaster

Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: Glassthrower]
      #5682108 - 02/15/13 06:25 PM

Thanks Mike,
Yeah, i wouldnt expect any to surface on the market for a while, if they do.
Keep us informed..

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5682158 - 02/15/13 06:48 PM

Quote:

There are a few respected Russian meteorite dealers. I am contacting them now to find out what the laws are in Russia regarding this, and if any specimens have been found yet.

Mike, please keep us up to date on this!

sealevel
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Florida
      #5682259 - 02/15/13 07:59 PM

Quote:

Beware any meteorites being offered for sale from this new fall - they are probably fakes. It will take some time before genuine specimens show up on the collector market, if they do at all.

Here you go Mike.... Buyers beware....

e-bay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meteorite-from-Chelyabinks-Russia-2013-meteor-fall-as...

Davio R.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: Ebyl]
      #5682312 - 02/15/13 08:44 PM

Technically, while it was "over Russia" it was a meteor. The bits that hit the ground, though, became meteorites. It did partially come apart at some point as there are bits and pieces being reported around the region.

In any case, very cool...that they believed it was a meteor, I mean. We were worried when that top secret test missile went haywire shortly after launch.

- Jim

Ebyl

Reged: 07/04/12

Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5682334 - 02/15/13 08:59 PM

Yeah, I knew someone would come in and correct that. I honestly couldn't be bothered to change the terminology. Can't be bothered now, either. A mod can edit it if they want - I really don't care.

On a better note...

"The Science Channel has announced the premiere of a new special about the Russian meteor titled “Russian Meteor Explosion" at 8pm on Saturday, Feb. 16."

http://blogs.discovery.com/inscider/2013/02/russian-meteor-mayhem.html

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5682440 - 02/15/13 10:00 PM

Quote:

Technically, while it was "over Russia" it was a meteor. The bits that hit the ground, though, became meteorites. It did partially come apart at some point as there are bits and pieces being reported around the region.

A good way for people to keep this straight is that the "-ite" ending is what geologists use to identify minerals: pyrite, anthracite, quartzite, etc. A meteorite is a mineral specimen from space.

Quote:

In any case, very cool...that they believed it was a meteor, I mean. We were worried when that top secret test missile went haywire shortly after launch.

The city (Chelyabinsk) just happened to be one of Russia's military cities, and one of its two nuclear weapon research and production sites (Sarov is the other).

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

#5682459 - 02/15/13 10:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

According to that article they've already found 3 craters! I wonder how many of the meteorite hunters are already on a flight there?

I'd certainly love a sample of that one!!! Wonder how strict the laws are in Russia, for meteorite hunters?

Me 2, i wonder if they will find a boat load of fragments like they found from the Sikhote-Alin meteor.
Certainly hope the people are all ok, seen reports where over 1,000 were injured.

This bolide weighed 7000 tons according to NASA. About 30% of the Sikhote-Alin meteor was recovered (30 tons out of an estimated 100 tons). If they can approach that recovery rate then there is a lot of meteor material that can go on the market.

The rate won't be that high since Sikhote-Alin was iron, and easy to identify. But still, it is winter and rocks on snow or ice are easy to notice.

Really weird that all four of the largest known falls over land in the past 200 years or so are all in high Northern latitudes, and 3 in Siberia (Tunguska 1908, Sikhote-Alin 1947, Chelyabinsk 2013, and Whitehorse 2000.)

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5682467 - 02/15/13 10:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is the New Russia! Everything is for sale if the right authority gets a cut.

There will be hundreds of tons of material recovered from this rock.

StarWars
Mr. Postmaster Man

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<
Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: careysub]
      #5682731 - 02/16/13 01:44 AM

Meteorite fragments hit Siberia, 950 hurt..

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/02/15/Meteorite-fragments-hit-Sib...

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: sealevel]
      #5682835 - 02/16/13 05:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Here you go Mike.... Buyers beware....

e-bay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meteorite-from-Chelyabinks-Russia-2013-meteor-fall-as...

Davio R.

WOW

<$1000US, and free shipping

or

maybe I should wait for Mike's sale

edj

sealevel
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Florida
Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5682930 - 02/16/13 08:08 AM

WOW

$1000US, and free shipping

or

maybe I should wait for Mike's sale

edj

Hi E.,
Did you notice the Auction's "lake" crater fire picture? Shameful!

Davio R.

Edited by sealevel (02/16/13 08:11 AM)

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: sealevel]
      #5683435 - 02/16/13 12:39 PM

I.want.a.piece.right.NOW!!

/Ira

Glassthrower

Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: Ira]
      #5684206 - 02/16/13 08:42 PM

Here is an excellent page about the event with many links, photos, etc. Courtesy of Dr. Nick Gessler at Duke.

https://web.duke.edu/isis/gessler/meteorites/chelyabinsk.htm

Dave MModerator
Postmaster

Re: Meteorite over Russia new [Re: careysub]
      #5684985 - 02/17/13 11:15 AM

I find it rather interesting also that there`s been 3 large events occurring over Siberia.
Any information yet on the type of meteorite that it was ?
and will it officially be named Chelyabinsk ?

ZielkeNightsky
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/06

Loc: Denmark
      #5685519 - 02/17/13 04:52 PM

Well this just came on RIANOVOSTI

“This meteorite is an ordinary chondrite, it is a stony meteorite which contains some 10 percent of iron. It is most likely to be named Chebarkul meteorite,” Grohovsky said.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20130217/179531203/Meteorite-Fragments-Found-in-Icy-...

A great weekend indeed

Monday I'll go to bank and get some ruble's - Already cleaned up some space in the collection box.

Edited by ZielkeNightsky (02/17/13 04:53 PM)

Glassthrower

Re: Meteorite over Russia [Re: ZielkeNightsky]
      #5685687 - 02/17/13 06:22 PM

Chelyabinsk was a closed city as recently as 1994. The entire area is loaded with Soviet-era military facilities and nuclear sites. It is also one of the most contaminated places on Earth and the site of the terrible (but little-known) Kyshtym nuclear disaster. Much of the area is completely off-limits to foreigners or highly-radioactive. There is a better than even chance that very little or none of this meteorite will make it to the collector market outside Russia. I hope I am wrong and I would love to have a piece, but I am not holding my breath until I see more recoveries. Right now, if the supposed recoveries are indeed confirmed, then TKW is very small. Of course, this could change at any moment if a large mass is found or if many more smaller stones are found.

Dave MModerator
Postmaster

Re: Meteorite over Russia [Re: ZielkeNightsky]
      #5685848 - 02/17/13 07:57 PM

Thanks! Lars

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meteorite over Russia [Re: Glassthrower]
      #5686038 - 02/17/13 09:48 PM

Quote:

Chelyabinsk was a closed city as recently as 1994. The entire area is loaded with Soviet-era military facilities and nuclear sites. It is also one of the most contaminated places on Earth and the site of the terrible (but little-known) Kyshtym nuclear disaster. Much of the area is completely off-limits to foreigners or highly-radioactive. There is a better than even chance that very little or none of this meteorite will make it to the collector market outside Russia. I hope I am wrong and I would love to have a piece, but I am not holding my breath until I see more recoveries. Right now, if the supposed recoveries are indeed confirmed, then TKW is very small. Of course, this could change at any moment if a large mass is found or if many more smaller stones are found.

So far I have seen images of only one single tiny fragment recovered from the ice cover of the lake. This does not bode well for public recovery of extensive material.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9960

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics