Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
colum

Reged: 04/19/12

Loc: Poughkeepsie NY
Telescope eyepieces ?
      #5688206 - 02/19/13 02:03 AM

Would microscope eyepieces work on catadioptic telescopes such as a Questar. I have a 10X20 zoom nikon and a Zeiss 10X, I appreciate any advice before I go ona rampage Bldg useless stuff. Thanks..Jeff

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pogobbler
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Central Indiana, USA
Re: Telescope eyepieces ? new [Re: colum]
      #5688297 - 02/19/13 04:04 AM

They should work, they perform the same function in both. There's a definite history of using microscope eyepieces in telescopes. The standard diameters aren't the same, but if you can compensate for that, shouldn't be any problem. How well they'll work will depend on the design of the eyepiece, the telescope and so on, just as with astronomical eyepieces.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: Telescope eyepieces ? new [Re: pogobbler]
      #5688318 - 02/19/13 04:36 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

A couple of years ago I bought a wide field (70°)type of ep from a member on the CN Classifides. Excellent overall even in my f/4 scopes. No markings on the ep except 22mm, or maybe 22X. An astro buddy who is a biologist said it was definitely a microscope eyepiece. Whoever converted it did a great job.

There are a couple of microscope eyepieces in the case in the basement with my 55 year old Sears microscope. I tried to convert a modern day kellner to get a wider low power view but the Sears scope has such a small barrel I just gave up.

You will never know when you can get a gem. I think the long focal ratio of the cat's design would be pretty forgiving so just try before you buy if possible.

FWIW here is a zoom ep I converted from an 60mm ED spotter scope for use with a solar Ha scope. A simple turned aluminum adapter was all it needed. Works like a champ.

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

Reged: 08/01/07

Loc: Blue Island Illinois
Re: Telescope eyepieces ? new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5689181 - 02/19/13 04:10 PM

They work, but most are rudementary compared with even basic telescope eyepieces. There are some gems like Ziess orthos and some monocentric designs but they are hard to find and unusual. A very good Microscope eyepiece labeled "Wide field" is most likely a Kellner. For long focal length high magnification uses, they are passable but low poer views suffer horribly from CA and that's in my f15 refractor!

colum

Reged: 04/19/12

Loc: Poughkeepsie NY
Re: Telescope eyepieces ? new [Re: Sean Cunneen]
      #5690091 - 02/20/13 01:13 AM

Thanks Pogobbler and Sean for your replies...Jeff

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 477

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics