Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
NilRecurring

Reged: 02/19/13

About to pull the trigger on a PMX...
      #5688918 - 02/19/13 01:27 PM

Hi all, first post!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Paramount MX... have the invoice here with me but I'm having some doubts. On the SB forums and over on the Australian forum IceInSpace some folks were having trouble with their new Paramount MX's.

I wanted to ask CN's opinion here... should I go for it? The mount has been out for a while but I'm not sure if they've ironed out all the bugs. This would be my first high end mount and I'm a little nervous about spending $8000 on a mount that might cause me problems when I get it.

The only other option is Astro-physics but I don't know when they're going to replace the AP900 - I know it's going to be in a year or so but I really love the PMX's features. ProTrack, Versa-plate and homing really sound incredible.

Anyone on CN have a PMX? How was your experience?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jarin
sage

Reged: 10/03/09

Loc: Northern VA
Re: About to pull the trigger on a PMX... new [Re: NilRecurring]
      #5689076 - 02/19/13 03:18 PM

I've taken about 1200 sub-exposures since I've had one (12 months old at this point), and I setup/breakdown each and every time, driving to a remote site about 40 min from the house. I've had 1 bad sub during that entire time. Awesome mount. If you want further details, pictures, links to images, blog posts about it, etc - just PM me.

Jeff

darbyvet
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Seneca Falls, New York
Re: About to pull the trigger on a PMX... new [Re: NilRecurring]
      #5689092 - 02/19/13 03:28 PM

I have had my Paramount MX since September adn I LOVE it.I previously had a cgem. The only issues I have had are getting my head around the software.
The mount itself is a work of art.It is a very high quality product and is very easy to set up and balance.The versa plate is huge and has tons of holes in it so you can mount lots of different scopes to it.
The issues I have had are with the software (theskyx) that you need to run the mount.They are constantly improving the software and at the moment are working on new camera software.
Having said that I was able to get everything connected and was able to polar align my scope to within 30 arcseconds of the refracted pole using tpoint and I have 7 arcsecond pointing accuracy based on a 100 star tpoint model.
I actually managed to get my mount to automatically acquire the 100 stars for the tpoint model.It was pretty cool watching the scope slew around the sky, take a picture, do a plate solve and then move on to the next star.

The camera control software is changing.It doesnt bother me because I use backyardEOS to acquite images anyway.
The support forum is pretty active and usually yoiu get a response within a day or so.In most cases it is to clarify how to do something rather than a problem with the software.
I even managed to get my DSLR and my moonlite focuser to connect to thskyx and autofocus my camera.

My Mx is on a pier and I can be imaging within 5 minutes of opening my observatory.
I dont guide my images.I have found round stars at the usualy exposure I use with my DSLR (180-300secs)
I have even taken exposure of 600-900secs with round stars and no guiding.
I know some people have had issues with getting the Orion autoguider to work, but that seems to have been solved.

I would highly recommend the Paramount MX and I see it being part of my astrophotography set up that I wont ever need to change.

Matt Houston

Reged: 02/08/13

Loc: Florida
Re: About to pull the trigger on a PMX... new [Re: darbyvet]
      #5693778 - 02/21/13 11:39 PM

I've been doing a lot of reading and have decided to buy the MX mount, sooner than later because of the sale price. Being a fan of quality, it looks like an amazing piece of equipment. I'm a computer guy, so the software aspect doesn't scare me. I've seen nothing but great reviews and comments. So if you're about to pull the trigger, go for it, and I'm right behind you, as I'll be ordering mine in early March.

j.w.white
sage

Reged: 07/18/09

Re: About to pull the trigger on a PMX... new [Re: Matt Houston]
      #5696999 - 02/23/13 05:11 PM

I whole heartedly agree with the above statements - the MX is a terrific mount! I also upgraded from a CGEM and, as would be expected, it is a league apart. The comments about the need to use TheSky X are valid (I used TheSky X with my CGEM too), it does take some time to become familiar with. I'm a huge fan of the integrated USB ports, and internal/ external power ( I use those to power a USB hub, focuser and dew heater). I also like the through-the-mount cabling capability, although I haven't had much success with the polar scope. The cabling gets in the way, and on more than one occasion I've had to open the control panel to reseat one of the USB connectors that gets yanked out when trying to work the cables around the polar scope tube. I've found that a few TPoint runs take almost as long (I also setup/tear down every night), and has the added benefit of improving pointing and tracking.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: About to pull the trigger on a PMX... new [Re: j.w.white]
      #5697202 - 02/23/13 08:00 PM

I've had a Paramount ME for three years now. I had a Paramount GT-1100S for ten years before that. I've been very happy with them. The hardware is good. The software is good. The support is good. Now in my old age I'm thinking of downgrading (size and weight wise!) from the ME to an MX myself.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: About to pull the trigger on a PMX... new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5697431 - 02/23/13 09:58 PM

If ever my MI250 is due for replacement, it's going to be a Paramount...not sure which one, but the Bisque brothers do make a couple of nice mounts.

David

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: About to pull the trigger on a PMX... new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5698067 - 02/24/13 11:02 AM

Good thing the MI250 is... invincible A Bisque would be an excellent choice. The high end mounts are so nice!

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: About to pull the trigger on a PMX... new [Re: Raginar]
      #5698246 - 02/24/13 01:14 PM

Quote:

Good thing the MI250 is... invincible A Bisque would be an excellent choice. The high end mounts are so nice!

That is a good point, Chris. With reasonable care and the way Larry built these things, I'll probably retire from astronomy before the mount is worn out.

David

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 987

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics