Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Brecon Beacons designated a dark sky reserve new
      #5688426 - 02/19/13 07:56 AM

Read this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21496562

Listen to this (might be regionally locked) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21502994

This was a 5 minute item on this mornings BBC Radio 4 news program. The IDA was also interviewed on the radio and the IDA representative Martin Morgan-Taylor gave a very balanced reason why light pollution was detremental without once citing astronomy. His arguments were based on energy waste, wildlife, health and environmental issues. The parks representative Ruth Coulthard in the interview focused on the ability to attract astro tourists to the park as a dark sky benefit.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Brecon Beacons designated a dark sky reserve new [Re: Tonk]
      #5688684 - 02/19/13 11:17 AM

Thanks Tonk. You all seem to be making more progress on this than we are.

Dark skies.

Jack

Tonk
Postmaster

Re: Brecon Beacons designated a dark sky reserve new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5688749 - 02/19/13 11:58 AM

Its minor progress really. This is more about halting the march of LP as opposed to reversing it. But it counts.

Martin Morgan-Taylor stated this morning that the level of LP in the UK has increased 25% in the last 7 years.

He also said that in the UK there is now far more awareness of LP issues since BBC2 started an annual "Star Gazing Live" show each January. Its presented by Professor Brian Cox and Dara O'Brian (stand up commedian and physisist) and is popular. Astro societies join in and host mini star parties for the public. My society has kept this up with with twice a month field meetings for the public. This is held in a field behind a country pub

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019h4g8

Dark Sky Scott

Reged: 01/06/12

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Brecon Beacons designated a dark sky reserve new [Re: Tonk]
      #5688912 - 02/19/13 01:24 PM

Brecon Beacons has done a significant amount of lighting retrofits to complete their application. That's certainly a good thing.

Their designation should certainly help to raise awareness there as well. Hopefully that will lead to others taking action.

By the way, there will be a new International Dark Sky Park announced in the U.S. very soon.

Tonk
Postmaster

Re: Brecon Beacons designated a dark sky reserve new [Re: Dark Sky Scott]
      #5688938 - 02/19/13 01:43 PM

Dark Sky Scott - thats good to know. Do you know anything about the Bardsey Island "bid" or is this with a different organisation?

BTW I occasionally go to the Croyden Caving Club hut in the Breacon Beacons and it IS very dark there. I've also been camping in sight of bardsey Island at the end of the Llyn Peninsula and its very dark there too!

Dark Sky Scott

Reged: 01/06/12

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Brecon Beacons designated a dark sky reserve [Re: Tonk]
      #5689146 - 02/19/13 03:56 PM

Tonk, IDA has not had any recent contact with the Bardsey group, but would welcome it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 447

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics