Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ukcanuck
Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: London, UK
Re: The Skylight AR101/15: Optics by Televue... new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5669609 - 02/08/13 06:50 PM Attachment (84 downloads)

...and a few more:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ukcanuck

Re: The Skylight AR101/15: Optics by Televue... new [Re: ukcanuck]
      #5669614 - 02/08/13 06:55 PM Attachment (78 downloads)

These are in situ shots, with less than ideal lighting. When I have some better examples, I will post them here. In the meantime, I wanted to get this scope out there.

Keep in mind this is a 'concept scope' and as you see it here is a version of the top end model AR101/15. The brass focuser is a one-off (and is legitimately old) and will be replaced by the Starlight Instruments Feathertouch focuser on production models.

One more picture for now:

7331Peg
Sirius Observer

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: North coast of Oregon
      #5670034 - 02/09/13 01:23 AM

Wow, I had no idea it was going to be red. What an absolute beauty.

You outdid yourself on this one, Richard! Congrats!

John

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #5671494 - 02/09/13 10:09 PM

Richard,

OMG!!! That color scheme is simply astoundingly beautiful!! What a distinctive scope. Have not seen something so elegant since the old Unitron days. Congratulations for bringing elegance of design back to telescopes!

ianatcn

Reged: 05/26/10

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Re: The Skylight AR101/15: Optics by Televue... new [Re: BillP]
      #5673590 - 02/11/13 07:53 AM

I have to say that I was sceptical when I first got news of the red tube. But... It is just a perfect colour to go with the black and brass. I will be ordering mine in red. The photos really do not do the depth of colour justice. The red top coat has a metallic undercoat that gives a lovely depth to the colour. When mine arrives, Richard reckons May, I will post pictures over on the refractor forum. Just need to find a nice classic equatorial for it now.

ukcanuck

Re: The Skylight AR101/15: Optics by Televue... new [Re: ianatcn]
      #5685470 - 02/17/13 04:17 PM

A few more details are now confirmed on the AR101/15 (all prices below in £/GBP):

The new Skylight AR101/15 will be available in 3 models (all 3 will include the Exclusive Televue F15 achromat lens):

Version 1. This lowest price version will be supplied without finder and with holes pre-drilled to accept the superb Televue Starbeam at a later date (if desired) *starting from £1360.00

Version 2. The mid-priced version will be similar to my original F15 and will be supplied with my own bespoke finder brackets & 40mm brass finderscope *starting from £1680.00

Version 3. This no-holds barred version will feature the Starlight Instruments Feathertouch focuser & brass counterbalace weight system. *starting from £2150

I had originally planned to offer a storage box with the top end model, but have now decided against this. As with my previous Skylight designs, all OTA’s are handmade by me in Wimbledon, SouthWest London. Ultimately, final prices will depend on chosen options. My goal is to begin customer deliveries in May of 2013.

Any questions? Please get in touch.

ukcanuck

#5688870 - 02/19/13 12:59 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

One more update for the moment...

For the first time, I will offer the Skylight AR101/15 in a colour other than black:

Glass or Satin black will still be available of course, as per my previous designs.

But also:

Satin White/brass:

...for the Unitron/Polarex enthusiast ; Satin white with black dew shield & brass accessories.

At present, these refractors are being made to order and colour can be specified at time of order. At a later date, specific colours may not be available or there may be a delay before a particular colour can be provided. There is a small additional charge for Deep Red.

As with my previous Skylight designs, all OTA’s are handmade by me in Wimbledon, Southwest London. My goal is to begin customer deliveries in May of 2013.

The first run is of limited numbers so if you wish to secure your own Skylight AR101/15, I urge you to contact me without delay...Deposits have been placed and the list is growing!

Please get in touch via email or via PM here on Cloudy Nights.

Thanks for reading.

Skylight Telescopes/London

...and...Deep Red:

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5689003 - 02/19/13 02:28 PM

Have you ever thought of making an ED version of these scopes? Televue discontinued their 102, but I would want one badly if it came in a tube assembly as nice as that red one!

ukcanuck

Re: The Skylight AR101/15: Optics by Televue... [Re: SteveG]
      #5689266 - 02/19/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

Have you ever thought of making an ED version of these scopes? Televue discontinued their 102, but I would want one badly if it came in a tube assembly as nice as that red one!

Thanks for the thoughts...my powder coaters earn their money with that red.

I accepted a commission to build a 4" triplet for a client last year, but didn't really consider venturing further down the ED road after that.

However, please feel free to send a pm if you'd like to discuss a custom build.

ukcanuck

Skylight AR101/15: Optics by Televue lens cell: new [Re: ukcanuck]
      #5768274 - 03/31/13 09:20 AM Attachment (46 downloads)

The lens cells are now complete...and look great!

Keep watching this space for some news re. NEAF & the AR101/15.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Skylight AR101/15: Optics by Televue lens cell: new [Re: ukcanuck]
      #5770004 - 04/01/13 01:07 AM

sexy system.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
Re: Skylight AR101/15: Optics by Televue lens cell: new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5805412 - 04/17/13 08:32 PM

Richard, as the sole vendor for the 101mm f/15 TV achro objectives, would you consider offering these objectives in your custom collimitable cells?

ukcanuck

Re: Skylight AR101/15: Optics by Televue lens cell: new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5810121 - 04/20/13 06:29 AM

Quote:

Richard, as the sole vendor for the 101mm f/15 TV achro objectives, would you consider offering these objectives in your custom collimitable cells?

Hi Brandon,

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't have any plans to sell the objective lens individually...

As an aside, we set up the scope last night in preparation for the show and it looks outstanding! What makes it even more special is that the scope is displayed on Al Nagler's original Alvan Clark equatorial mounting! If you're at NEAF, please stop by the stand and have a look...it really is something special.

I'm working on an iPad during my stay in New York, so can't load pictures (if someone can tell me how, please pm me? ). But as soon as I am able, I will post some images.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5062

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics