Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
stevetaylor199
sage

Reged: 09/21/11

Loc: SE Wisconsin
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5701441 - 02/26/13 11:25 AM

Yes, I've thought about the hair dryers too!

Keeping it on topic for XW eps, these look pretty well insulated, and the Pentax spec is that they are 61mm wide. Do you just use a strap for a 2" eyepiece at 100% power on most nights?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5701457 - 02/26/13 11:30 AM

"Saw some really cool detail in the belts and one fairly large barge as well"

I've heard of Jupiter boats, but............

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: stevetaylor199]
      #5701463 - 02/26/13 11:33 AM

Quote:

Heck, if nothing else, they're always handy for touching up your toni during observing breaks...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #5701467 - 02/26/13 11:35 AM

Yes, I use a 2"-sized strip for all the eyepieces in the focuser. I can always cinch it in to fit smaller eyepieces. I put a 1.25" strip on the eyepiece that's in my optical finder, and a special prong-shaped heater in the Telrad window. So I have three dew-strips coming from the dew controller.

But I always bring along another portable power supply and a portable hair-dryer just in case. Redundancy may seem foolish in language, but it makes abundant sense out here in the real world.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Mike B]
      #5701469 - 02/26/13 11:35 AM

Next time, grab your wife's blow dryer and tell her it's for astronomy....see if she believes it....and if she does (cause its true)....see the look she gives you like she's reconsidering your sanity........

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5701472 - 02/26/13 11:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Heck, if nothing else, they're always handy for touching up your toni during observing breaks...

I don't have to worry about that. I haven't used a hair-dryer on my hair since the early '70's. A towel is good enough.

Mike

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5701473 - 02/26/13 11:38 AM

Quote:

Next time, grab your wife's blow dryer and tell her it's for astronomy...

Not sure we wanna go there.... my wife has her eye on my Dob's primary... what a great "vanity-mirror" it would make!

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5701484 - 02/26/13 11:42 AM

You mean I spent all that money for a mirror and I could have went to WallyWorld and got a Chinese one for cheap??????

Mike B
Starstruck

#5701487 - 02/26/13 11:44 AM

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5701508 - 02/26/13 11:56 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

I did notice that my latest XW acquisition must have been from one of the newer batches--the 'Pentax Corporation' badge has been changed to 'Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co. LTD.'. Still 'Made in Japan' though.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Starman81]
      #5701522 - 02/26/13 12:04 PM

Hmmm, have to look at mine....never paid it any attention. I'd imagine the newer ones have updated coatings.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5702008 - 02/26/13 04:30 PM

Quote:

The contrasty image of Jupiter could be partially due to the warm tone of the LVW. I've noticed this, too, with my 8mm LVW.

The XL's are also supposed to be warm-toned, even warmer than the Radians! That's surprising, because the XW's seem neutral to my eyes. Different coatings, I suppose.

Mike

It wasn't the fact that the view with the 5mm LVW was more "contrasty". In using my 10mm XW with the 2" GSO ED barlow I was getting major amounts of CA that I have never seen before. The views in the 5mm LVW seemed a bit warmer, I did notice that, but Jupiter was getting quite low when I had seen it. In viewing Jupiter with the 5mm LVW just last week when Jupiter was higher, it didn't have a "warm" tone to it at all and threw up a view quite like the 5.1mm Pentax XL I had a while ago.

Just an FYI: The Pentax XL's are not "warm" in tone at all. In fact the 5.1mm XL I had showed a neutral tone.

Quote:

My experience with other eyepieces, too, tells me that there can be stinkers and shiners in most any line of eyepieces, which is why I usually don't acquire entire lines. For instance, I like the XW's, but I'd never buy an XW 14 because of FC. And the only reason I have an XW 20, is because I got a very good deal. Luckily, though, the 20 cleaned up nicely with a Paracorr.

Mike

If you have a Paracorr, the 14mm XW would clean up nicely in that, so the FC would not be an issue.

Quote:

I remember seeing CA with all my Pentax XWs when I still had them,about 6 months ago.And that was with no barlow in the light path on an Orion Optics 10" f/6.3 reflector. The Radians on the other hand presented none!

In my 10mm and 7mm XW's alone, I can barely see any CA unless I look near the extreme edges. Some Radians are chock full of CA in a big way !!!

Cheers,

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5702119 - 02/26/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

The thing I am most hopeful about is that these eps are resistant to fogging.

You might want to crank out those glare shields, then.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5702198 - 02/26/13 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The contrasty image of Jupiter could be partially due to the warm tone of the LVW. I've noticed this, too, with my 8mm LVW.

The XL's are also supposed to be warm-toned, even warmer than the Radians! That's surprising, because the XW's seem neutral to my eyes. Different coatings, I suppose.

Mike

Just an FYI: The Pentax XL's are not "warm" in tone at all. In fact the 5.1mm XL I had showed a neutral tone.

I said the XL's were "supposed" to be warm. This was in one of the many threads I've read about the XL's. But I have not received my XL yet, and will not be able to judge for myself until then.

To me the XW's are neutral, so I had some doubt that their elder brothers the XL's would be warm. Oddly enough, I've read a few comments which claim that even the XW's are warm! To me, the XW is the epitome of a neutral-toned eyepiece. Could it be these folks are a bit color blind? Or maybe the coatings that Pentax uses have changed over the years?

IME, though, I have seen that eyepieces can have warm, neutral or cool tones, and that those differences do have an effect on how objects appear to me in the eyepiece. Warm-toned eyepieces will make Jupiter's bands more obvious and "contrasty." They will also bring out contrast in lunar maria. I've seen it too many times to doubt it.

Quote:

If you have a Paracorr, the 14mm XW would clean up nicely in that, so the FC would not be an issue.

I'll pass on the XW 14. I really don't want to depend on the Paracorr to flatten out the FC in an eyepiece. It's bad enough I have to do that for the XW 20. On the other hand, if an XW 14 comes up at a really good price ...

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5702252 - 02/26/13 06:42 PM

"To me, the XW is the epitome of a neutral-toned eyepiece. Could it be these folks are a bit color blind?"

It could be due to too much coffee, too much televue viewing, or it could just be they are full of it up to their eyeballs...

Just joking....but they're pretty crystal clear to me....

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5702253 - 02/26/13 06:42 PM

As we age, the lenses in our eyes turn yellow. This process is known as brunification.
Be skeptical when someone refers to a yellowish or warm tone in an eyepiece until he tells you his age.
ALL eyepieces get more "warm-toned" as we get older.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5702264 - 02/26/13 06:48 PM

Quote:

"To me, the XW is the epitome of a neutral-toned eyepiece. Could it be these folks are a bit color blind?"

It could be due to too much coffee, too much televue viewing, or it could just be they are full of it up to their eyeballs...

Just joking....but they're pretty crystal clear to me....

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5702267 - 02/26/13 06:50 PM

Guess all us old dudes (and dudettes) can all sell our yellow filter now.......

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? [Re: Starman1]
      #5702279 - 02/26/13 06:58 PM

Quote:

As we age, the lenses in our eyes turn yellow. This process is known as brunification.
Be skeptical when someone refers to a yellowish or warm tone in an eyepiece until he tells you his age.
ALL eyepieces get more "warm-toned" as we get older.

I suppose I should be thankful that some eyepieces still look neutral or even cool to me ... and be more skeptical of other's opinions.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? [Re: Starman81]
      #5702387 - 02/26/13 08:15 PM

Quote:

I did notice that my latest XW acquisition must have been from one of the newer batches--the 'Pentax Corporation' badge has been changed to 'Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co. LTD.'. Still 'Made in Japan' though.

Just checked, mine are all the old "Pentax Corporation" stamped in, no labels. The newer ones might have different coatings, or, it could have just been a "lable change" due to the merger.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8701

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics