Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Pentax XW's Toast?
      #5689342 - 02/19/13 05:32 PM

I just heard from a major vendor that there probably won't be any more Pentax Extra Wides produced. These are one of the great eyepieces of all time. I recommend that if anyone wants one, they grab it from a vendor still having them in stock. If this is true, then the used XW's will also be a hot item, and go up in price. Those of you who want, but can't obtain a Pentax XW, go for a Delos instead. You will be pleased with a Delos.

I am not listing in this post the name of the vendor who gave me this information. I don't want this to pit vendors against one another. If you are interested in a Pentax XW, I recommend you check with your own vendor to see if they have received similar reports. Please note that the vendor who told me this is one of the major ones.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5689352 - 02/19/13 05:36 PM

Gene,

There's really no need to create all of this hype as there are hundreds of used XW's in excellent condition on the used market that many could buy. I don't even think it is true myself, as I recall Don Pensack saying they moved their production somewhere else IIRC.

Cheers,

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5689411 - 02/19/13 06:08 PM

Woodland Hills said they have some in stock and more coming.

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5689439 - 02/19/13 06:28 PM

Quote:

Gene,

There's really no need to create all of this hype as there are hundreds of used XW's in excellent condition on the used market that many could buy. I don't even think it is true myself, as I recall Don Pensack saying they moved their production somewhere else IIRC. Cheers,

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not creating hype. I am simply passing on what I was told by a major vendor. I hope others will see this as a helpful heads up. If Pentax is going to gear up production at another site, then they should so inform their vendors--and those who want to purchase their products. I was going to purchase a Pentax 7mm XW from the major vendor cited above. I was told that the Pentax XW line will probably be shut down.

There may or may not be 'hundreds of used XW's for sale in excellent condition.' Whether it is true or not, many of us want to buy new.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5689444 - 02/19/13 06:30 PM

Quote:

Woodland Hills said they have some in stock and more coming.

The vendor I checked with had their web site as 'more on the way.' I called them and was told they are changing their web site to say 'not available.'

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/17/05

Loc: Under the southern horn of the...
      #5689463 - 02/19/13 06:43 PM

Thanks for the warning but I hope your source is wrong. There were similar rumours last year (and I can't remember if a vendor/s were involved then or not) but a Pentax UK rep told me last february that while the 2in XWs and the XOs production had ceased there were no plans to stop the 1.25in XWs. I hope nothing's changed, the vendors themselves sometimes have incorrect information.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5689467 - 02/19/13 06:45 PM

This wouldn't surprise me, as Ricoh (the current owner of Pentax) doesn't have the same dedication to producing optics for astronomy that earlier owners did.
I can see why the 2" versions were discontinued (no spotting scope application), but the 1.25" versions all work in Pentax spotting scopes.
So unless they have decided to de-emphasize the spotting scope side of their business, I can't see the XWs being discontinued.

But, world-wide sales may be down a lot, and I've seen close to 50% of all eyepiece brands disappear over the last 4 years. So who knows?

Sad, if true, though.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Sgt]
      #5689482 - 02/19/13 06:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the warning but I hope your source is wrong.

I would also hope that the XW's would continue being produced. I have never read a CN poster that did not love the eyepiece.

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5689565 - 02/19/13 07:39 PM

XW was Delos well before Delos was Delos.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
      #5689616 - 02/19/13 08:03 PM

The only thing keeping me from buying Delos is the higher price, new or used. They are supposed to have a bit better transmission and less FC and other aberrations than the XW's.

So far I've picked up the XW 3.5, 7, 10 and 20. Luckily I was able to get them all used except for the 3.5. I'd rather not buy new if I don't have to.

The only XW left that I might want - much less need - is the 5mm. I keep waiting for a used one to pop up.

I remember the false rumor last year about all the XW's coming to an end. Even vendors can get it wrong sometimes.

Mike

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5689629 - 02/19/13 08:07 PM

I recall that as well, but it is also quite possible as Don points out that market direction changes...maybe for real this time!

ausastronomerModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/30/03

Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)
      #5689668 - 02/19/13 08:25 PM

Quote:

Gene,

There's really no need to create all of this hype as there are hundreds of used XW's in excellent condition on the used market that many could buy. I don't even think it is true myself, as I recall Don Pensack saying they moved their production somewhere else IIRC.

Cheers,

Mark,

Gene is only passing on what he was told by a vendor. Whether it is right or wrong, there is no need to shoot the messenger. Gene is only trying to be helpful to the forum.

Cheers

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: ausastronomer]
      #5689681 - 02/19/13 08:37 PM

I apologize for my comment Gene, John is correct, you were only trying to help us on the forum here, however, it was only ONE vendor.

Cheers,

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5689776 - 02/19/13 09:36 PM

Quote:

I apologize for my comment Gene, John is correct, you were only trying to help us on the forum here, however, it was only ONE vendor. Cheers,

Mark--hang in there. There is a lot concern and passion on this topic. We all hope and want the XW's to be continued.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
      #5689786 - 02/19/13 09:40 PM

Quote:

...however, it was only ONE vendor.

Well, and not only THAT, but one must wonder what the ramifications of such "information" getting out might be... like increased sales! So a vendor who gets wind of something like this might just shrug & pass it on- thinking it's basically harmless info, with only upsides to its furtherance.

And i'd have to agree.

It's just that i'm not personally inclined to rush out and nab an expensive EP, no matter how good it might be, simply because of a rumor of impending short supplies. The downside for me is i might miss the boat... if it were actually true.

Years ago Vixen NA was closing its operations, and dumping LVW eyepieces at silly prices. That wasn't a "rumor", but was an actuality! Some may remember it. I missed that boat 'cuz i didn't have funds available- even at ~$150 for a *new* LVW. I later regretted that, after discovering how fantastic these EPs are... and i've since picked up *used* ones at near that pricepoint, so it's all good.

So i can appreciate the concern that comes with passing such info along... but must confess to being just a wee bit skeptical of such rumors.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Mike B]
      #5689817 - 02/19/13 10:02 PM

Quote:

So i can appreciate the concern that comes with passing such info along... but must confess to being just a wee bit skeptical of such rumors.

I believe it more accurate to call this information, not a rumor, that was passed on by a major vendor. They are not going to benefit from increased sales by passing on a 'rumor' because they have no eyepieces in stock, and don't believe there will be any more coming their way. This vendor was passing on information from the Pentax representatives with whom they frequently communicate.

There is no monetary value for this vendor to pass on rumor. This vendor has an extremely high reputation in this business. I have dealt with them for many years.

In my opinion, this is valuable information. Information should be distinguished from rumor.

I stay say that Pentax could clear all this up. Don't they have a responsibility to their vendors? Don't they have a responsibility to their customers?

If Pentax plans to temporarily halt production of their XW's while they move to a different production facility, then they could/should tell us.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5689857 - 02/19/13 10:20 PM

Earlier this evening I narrowly missed buying a used XW 5mm. Another person beat me to it by minutes. I suppose if I hadn't been in this thread talking about buying an XW 5, I could have actually bought an XW 5!

Mike

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5689873 - 02/19/13 10:30 PM

Gene, just say no to talking to tech support from hayneedle.com.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5689971 - 02/19/13 11:29 PM

Quote:

Earlier this evening I narrowly missed buying a used XW 5mm. Another person beat me to it by minutes. I suppose if I hadn't been in this thread talking about buying an XW 5, I could have actually bought an XW 5!

Mike

I was looking at the same EP Mike,

Cheers.,

ausastronomerModerator
Carpal Tunnel

#5689985 - 02/19/13 11:49 PM

The 5mm Pentax XW is one of the best in the eyepiece line. A true gem.

Cheers,
John B

Starman1

#5690013 - 02/20/13 12:12 AM

Quote:

Years ago Vixen NA was closing its operations, and dumping LVW eyepieces at silly prices. That wasn't a "rumor", but was an actuality! Some may remember it. I missed that boat 'cuz i didn't have funds available- even at ~$150 for a *new* LVW. I later regretted that, after discovering how fantastic these EPs are... and i've since picked up *used* ones at near that pricepoint, so it's all good.

You can still buy LVWs from Vixen Optics and other vendors.
And you can still find used ones every now and then.
The design has been cloned by several Chinese companies and sold under several different labels, but the LVW is still the standard against which all the clones should be measured.
Focal lengths 3.5/5/8/13/17/22/30/and 42mm.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5690068 - 02/20/13 12:58 AM Attachment (35 downloads)

Yup!

The paint has flaked on the lettering here, but the rest of the EP, including the optics are excellent! Thanks JunoMike

The only other EP I might replace this with is a 5mm Pentax XW! I wonder what the differences would be between a 5mm XW and this one?

Cheers,

Damo636
sage

Reged: 08/16/11

Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
      #5690188 - 02/20/13 04:40 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

Nice ep Markus, I almost bought one of those a while back (seller changed his mind at last minute ). By all accounts the LVW are excellent! My own little XW family has grown in the last week.
With the ever mounting speculation as to their impending demise, I added the 5mm to complete a 10, 7, 5 set
I might even spring for a 3.5mm if one were to come up at the "right" price!

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Damo636]
      #5690311 - 02/20/13 07:52 AM

For some of us, the demise of the 14mm XW is of no concern whatsoever. I can't remember how many 14mm XL's and XW's I have moved along? The field curvature would make me woozy I have wondered if the 14mm Delos is much better and does not have that FC issue? I was a very early adopter of the XW line and will not sell my 20, 10, 7, 5, 3.5. However, I found the 31mm Nagler and 21mm Ethos ep's to be superior to the 30mm XW so will not miss that one as well. It is sad if Gene's information is true because other than my Leica ASPH zoom, nothing I have in the ep boxes compares with my 10mm XW. Bob

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Bob S.]
      #5690350 - 02/20/13 08:21 AM

I am sensitive to FC. My eyes don't seem to accommodate very well anymore. Among my XW's - 3.5, 7, 10 and 20 - I have not noticed appreciable FC except in the 20. But even the XW 20 cleaned up in a Paracorr. I could deal with the very slight residual FC by just focusing about 1/3 of the way toward EOF.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5690351 - 02/20/13 08:23 AM

Picked up the 5XW last night....then I read this from GeneT....Go to your browser and type
"Pentax Discontinued", and ads pop up from various vendors. Theres an add for a 40mm XW that says it has been discontinued from another vendor sight. I won't give the name, lets just say it has a name a year long.......

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5690358 - 02/20/13 08:27 AM

You need to update your sig.

Mike

Kent10
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/08/12

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Bob S.]
      #5690404 - 02/20/13 09:02 AM

Quote:

For some of us, the demise of the 14mm XW is of no concern whatsoever. I can't remember how many 14mm XL's and XW's I have moved along? The field curvature would make me woozy I have wondered if the 14mm Delos is much better and does not have that FC issue? I was a very early adopter of the XW line and will not sell my 20, 10, 7, 5, 3.5. However, I found the 31mm Nagler and 21mm Ethos ep's to be superior to the 30mm XW so will not miss that one as well. It is sad if Gene's information is true because other than my Leica ASPH zoom, nothing I have in the ep boxes compares with my 10mm XW. Bob

Hi Bob:

I have often wondered about the Pentax 20mm XW but I have the 21mm Ethos. In what circumstances do you find you use both. The Ethos is much larger and heavier or do you appreciate a smaller FOV at times. Or is the 1mm difference in magnification important? Color? Thanks, Kent

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5690430 - 02/20/13 09:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

I was looking at the same EP Mike,

Cheers.,

Me too, uh, three!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5690702 - 02/20/13 11:43 AM

AFAIK, the best deal new for XW 5 is $299.95 with free shipping from Adorama. I bought my XW 3.5 from them last year. All the rest of my XW's I bought used.

As of this post, Adorama on eBay has six XW 5's. I believe they had 14 in stock yesterday.

Mike

howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
      #5690707 - 02/20/13 11:50 AM

Nice glass you got there. Awaiting a shoot-out with your ES 82 11mm, T1 11mm and the 10mm XW.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5690735 - 02/20/13 12:03 PM

Quote:

As of this post, Adorama on eBay has six XW 5's. I believe they had 14 in stock yesterday.

And here is the eBay ad: link

howard929

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5690927 - 02/20/13 01:40 PM

And seven 10mm XW's for $285. I'd buy one if I didn't already love my ES 11mm. But for those who gotta have new,fast you pass, slow you... Well it ain't good to be slow.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5690931 - 02/20/13 01:40 PM

IMHO, $299 is too much. Perhaps vendors have been taking advantage of the "scare".

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5690942 - 02/20/13 01:45 PM

They were selling for $359 not long ago.......

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5690944 - 02/20/13 01:45 PM

My oh my... Here's the route I took if someone is looking for a short set (half) to save money...get a high quality 2" 2x barlow, pick up the 40, 30, 10 and 7...barlowed they provide 20, 15, 5 and 3.5 whilst avoiding the field curvature of the 20 and 14! You end up with a complete virtual set! The 5 and 3.5 use barlow lenses in their native design anyways, so no harm using a quality barlow with these critical sizes.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5691091 - 02/20/13 02:58 PM

t.r.,

$299 might be too much, and I tend to agree with you. But the used XW 7 that sold recently was $240, not really much of a difference if you want the eyepiece. $299 is the LOW new price. I think that until recently, Adorama was selling the XW 7 for $289.

Still, compare these prices with those for new Ethos.

Mike

frebieAdministrator
Chief assistant to the assistant chief

Reged: 04/29/08

Loc: Neither here nor there.
      #5691117 - 02/20/13 03:10 PM

As of 1:45 PM today, according to our latest conversation with Pentax, most 1.25" XW eyepieces are available in limited quantities. The XOs and 2" XWs are gone for good. The Pentax sales department in the States themselves have not been told by corporate in Japan, and so cannot tell us, if production is going to continue on the 1.25" versions or whether their stock on hand is the last that they are going to have.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: frebie]
      #5691144 - 02/20/13 03:24 PM

Glad I got mine while they were still readily available.....

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5691188 - 02/20/13 03:49 PM

Quote:

As of 1:45 PM today, according to our latest conversation with Pentax, most 1.25" XW eyepieces are available in limited quantities. The XOs and 2" XWs are gone for good. The Pentax sales department in the States themselves have not been told by corporate in Japan, and so cannot tell us, if production is going to continue on the 1.25" versions or whether their stock on hand is the last that they are going to have.

Thanks for the update. I am going to try and find a 7 XW soonest.

Dr Morbius
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/06/07

Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long
      #5691223 - 02/20/13 04:05 PM

Myself, I'll stick with the Delos - for some reason I just prefer them over the Pentax XW's.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Dr Morbius]
      #5691275 - 02/20/13 04:33 PM

Quote:

Myself, I'll stick with the Delos - for some reason I just prefer them over the Pentax XW's.

I have the 14, 10, 8, and 6 Delos, a Pentax 5XO, and 4 Radian. I love the Delos. For several years, I have been curious how the Pentax Extra Wides compare to the Delos. Pentax makes a 7XW. I thought that would fit in nicely between the 8 and 6 Delos. I also wanted to do my own comparision of how the different optical characteristics were different between the Pentax and Delos eyepieces. I was going to order a 7XW, and was surprised to find out that many vendors are sold out--and don't know if anymore are going to be available.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Dr Morbius]
      #5691283 - 02/20/13 04:36 PM

Delos is a great eyepiece. I compared the 10mm of both sets and found them for all intents and purposes identical, except the Delos is even more expensive than the XW's.

I'm glad to have caved on the previous scare before the 2" XW disappeared.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5691308 - 02/20/13 04:45 PM

frebie,

Thanks for the heads up.

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5691315 - 02/20/13 04:48 PM

Traded my Pentax XW7mm for a Delos 6mm and am very happy with the decision. It's a comforting thought that the Delos on hand has the most up-to-date modern coatings that can be had in the market today.

Best,

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Kent10]
      #5691382 - 02/20/13 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Bob:

I have often wondered about the Pentax 20mm XW but I have the 21mm Ethos. In what circumstances do you find you use both. The Ethos is much larger and heavier or do you appreciate a smaller FOV at times. Or is the 1mm difference in magnification important? Color? Thanks, Kent

Kent, I find that the XW's have slightly "truer" color than the Ethos. The 20mm XW has a bit of field curvature but is very pleasant for my eye. It is especially useful in a weight critical situation. OTOH, the 21mm Ethos is a very nice eyepiece with beautiful 100 degree AFOV compared to the XW's 70 degree AFOV and so has its place as long as I do not have a weight critical application. With my Paracorr I, Paracorr II or SIPS, both eyepieces are pretty stunning. As I mentioned earlier, I could never tame the 14mm XW to suit my tastes and much prefer my 13mm or 17mm Ethoi. Bob

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: ibase]
      #5691447 - 02/20/13 06:08 PM

I see very little difference in the Delos and the XW line myself. I have the XW 3.5, 5, 7, 10, 14, and 40.
I added the Delos 6 a few months ago and like it so much that I plan to add some more at a later date. Maybe when TV runs another sale.

WStewart
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/02/05

Loc: Dallas, TX
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Lane]
      #5691499 - 02/20/13 06:38 PM

Quote:

I was going to order a 7XW, and was surprised to find out that many vendors are sold out--and don't know if anymore are going to be available.

Did you try Adorama?

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5691500 - 02/20/13 06:38 PM

That's when I bought my Delos, and nearly any of the TV's I bought new. The rest I bought used on AM. Not as yummy.... But technically satisfactory.

ausastronomerModerator
Carpal Tunnel

#5691668 - 02/20/13 08:11 PM

Quote:

IMHO, $299 is too much.

I paid over $400 each for mine 10 years ago. You're counting the pennies and missing the pounds, particularly if they do go out of production.

Cheers,

howard929

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: WStewart]
      #5691696 - 02/20/13 08:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was going to order a 7XW, and was surprised to find out that many vendors are sold out--and don't know if anymore are going to be available.

Did you try Adorama?

Right you are, they have the 7mm XW for $299 as well. Maybe it's not such a big deal but I'd swear they were $270 about a month ago.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: howard929]
      #5691708 - 02/20/13 08:31 PM

Now Adorama has five XW 5's available on eBay. I might click that "Buy It Now" button very soon ...

Mike

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/04

Loc: Maryland
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: howard929]
      #5691741 - 02/20/13 08:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Did you try Adorama?

Right you are, they have the 7mm XW for $299 as well. Maybe it's not such a big deal but I'd swear they were $270 about a month ago.

The 20 and 14mm tend to be cheaper and can be in the $270-290 range, but the 3.5-10 seem stuck at that $299 price. It's odd though, because I find the 20 and 14 going for $250-270 used a lot of the time, whereas the 3.5, 5, and even the 7 have come up for $200-250 used. Most people found them to be too much power and seemed to devalue them a lot more, marking them down so much.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: zeldaboy101]
      #5691764 - 02/20/13 09:09 PM

Devaluing an eyepiece because it is "too much power" is at least a little silly. Maybe some observers don't know about such things as exit pupil, power per inch, best magnification for the object and the seeing range for their area? Yes, I guess that's possible.

On the other hand, I think I might understand why the 20mm and 14mm would be sold new at a lower price. For one thing, they show more field curvature. And maybe they are easier and less expensive to manufacture than the shorter focal length XW's.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5691768 - 02/20/13 09:16 PM

It's been awhile since I've seen any XW's offered used for around $200. Around $250 is more like it.

Mike

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
      #5691825 - 02/20/13 09:58 PM

They are still in stores here in Tokyo but reduced in price, so it is well possible that they are faded out.
Currently priced around 280 US$.

best regards
Chris

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: chboss]
      #5691837 - 02/20/13 10:05 PM

I'm selling my 7mm XW to whoever wants it.

NOT !!!

Cheers,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
      #5691911 - 02/20/13 10:50 PM

LOL! Mark, I know how much you love that Pentax XW7, glad it's in good hands.

Best,

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5691912 - 02/20/13 10:50 PM

I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT !!! But only because I already have one!

Mike

mkothe

Reged: 03/08/07

Loc: Boston, MA
      #5692032 - 02/21/13 12:10 AM

Here is the price history for the 7mm on Amazon (you can also display their 3rd party vendors):

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Pentax-70513-1-25-Inch-Eyepiece-Telescopes/product...

I bought mine used for $225 right before that creep to $200 started in February of 2012.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: mkothe]
      #5692098 - 02/21/13 01:41 AM

Hahaha, that reply was hilarious Mike.

Yes Hernando, I love it. I know from selling 2 before that I will never sell this one !!!

Cheers,

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5692273 - 02/21/13 07:17 AM

t.r.,

Quote:

My oh my... Here's the route I took if someone is looking for a short set (half) to save money...get a high quality 2" 2x barlow, pick up the 40, 30, 10 and 7...barlowed they provide 20, 15, 5 and 3.5 whilst avoiding the field curvature of the 20 and 14! You end up with a complete virtual set! The 5 and 3.5 use barlow lenses in their native design anyways, so no harm using a quality barlow with these critical sizes.

Recently I've gone the opposite route. I've sold off all my Barlows except for a 1.9x Burgess OCA, the lens cell from a 1.25" 2x Barlow that I use as a 3x OCA, the lens cell from a 2" 2x Barlow that I screw onto 2" eyepieces for 1.5x, and a 2x shorty that I will put up for sale soon. Mostly I use Barlows -actually their lens cells - as OCAs so my binoviewer will come to focus in my Newts.

Otherwise Barlows are a bother to me. I'd rather switch among eyepieces without a Barlow or just keep the Baader Zoom in the focuser.

But this is going a bit OT. A separate thread could be started on the advantages/disadvantages of Barlows, separate eyepieces or Zooms as the basis for an eyepiece set.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5692395 - 02/21/13 09:26 AM

B&H says that the XW 5 is "no longer available."

Pentax SMC XW 5mm Eyepiece (1.25")

Mike

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5692480 - 02/21/13 10:26 AM

The 2oXW is on the Fed Ex truck to my house this morninig. It appears I got the last XW in any focal length in stock at Astronomics. It will slot in nicely with my 7XW, 10 Delos, 11ES, 13 Ethos, 16 Brandon and 24 Panoptic lineup with the 30ES and 48 Brandon for lower powers..

Starman1

#5692491 - 02/21/13 10:35 AM

As of today, Pentax's own website lists only 4 focal lengths of XW as available:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/binoculars/scope/xw/index.html
Those are the 4 focal lengths usable in the Pentax spotting scopes.
The 40, 30, 5, and 3.5 were outside the normal range for spotting scope use.
It may mean they are planning to confine XW availability to only those four focal lengths from now on.
Or it may mean those are the four focal lengths left.
It would be good to get an official statement, somehow.

It's also interesting the spotting scopes are not noted as coming with a Zoom, and the XL 8-24 zoom is not listed on the site. Likewise it's interesting the PF-100ED spotting scope, long-discontinued, is listed.

So I am not certain whether the website is up-to-date.

Their on-line Buy Now website shows more choices:
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/category/sportoptics/eyepieces
But only the 5mm is "in stock". All the others are listed as out of stock.

Edited by Starman1 (02/21/13 10:53 AM)

MDavid
sage

Reged: 11/15/11

Loc: 29N (Texas)
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: mkothe]
      #5692595 - 02/21/13 11:56 AM

Quote:

Here is the price history for the 7mm on Amazon (you can also display their 3rd party vendors):

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Pentax-70513-1-25-Inch-Eyepiece-Telescopes/product...

I bought mine used for $225 right before that creep to $200 started in February of 2012.

Cool Website! Now, I can rationalize purchases to my wife... "Look honey the price history PROVES is was a good decision!"

sniperpride

Reged: 01/04/12

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: MDavid]
      #5692638 - 02/21/13 12:21 PM

I'll stick with my Delos'

Mike B
Starstruck

#5692673 - 02/21/13 12:42 PM

Quote:

Devaluing an eyepiece because it is "too much power" is at least a little silly. Maybe some observers don't know about such things as exit pupil, power per inch, best magnification for the object and the seeing range for their area?

Silly or not, my guess is that these would be SCT users... a very numerous (astronomical proportions? ) population! When i dwelt among them, 9mm was about as low as i'd typically go- in a 10" F10 (~F11.2 with a diagonal ) that'd clock in at ~316x & 0.8mm ExP... about the limits of the atmo most nites, and probably the optics as well.

OTOH, a 7mm XW would crank out ~325x in the average 8" SCT, similarly outfitted... yet at an ExP of ~0.6mm!

Now, i wonder if the FC in the XW-14 & 20 is of the same value as that of the SCT optical system, or opposite sign? If same, the 14-XW might be nearly intolerable to most... yet if of opposite sign, might make a sweet arrangement, indeed!

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5692811 - 02/21/13 01:52 PM

Quote:

As of today, Pentax's own website lists only 4 focal lengths of XW as available:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/binoculars/scope/xw/index.html
Those are the 4 focal lengths usable in the Pentax spotting scopes.
The 40, 30, 5, and 3.5 were outside the normal range for spotting scope use.
It may mean they are planning to confine XW availability to only those four focal lengths from now on.
Or it may mean those are the four focal lengths left.
It would be good to get an official statement, somehow.

It's also interesting the spotting scopes are not noted as coming with a Zoom, and the XL 8-24 zoom is not listed on the site. Likewise it's interesting the PF-100ED spotting scope, long-discontinued, is listed.

So I am not certain whether the website is up-to-date.

Their on-line Buy Now website shows more choices:
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/category/sportoptics/eyepieces
But only the 5mm is "in stock". All the others are listed as out of stock.

Running that first link with only 4 XW's listed through the Internet Archive, shows that there have only been those 4 XW's listed since as far back as April 8th of 2012 (oldest listing archived), so I don't think that page is being updated. But the fact that all the 1.25" XW's are still listed on the webstore and available from backorder is a good sign.

Starman1

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Starman81]
      #5692964 - 02/21/13 03:38 PM

All I get is a status that says "Availability: Out of Stock".
Where do you see they are back-orderable?

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #5692967 - 02/21/13 03:40 PM

I want a used 30mm

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5693001 - 02/21/13 03:57 PM

Quote:

All I get is a status that says "Availability: Out of Stock".
Where do you see they are back-orderable?

I do see that when you add to your cart, it does say 'Out of stock'. But on the individual product page for each EP, like here, it says:

Available for backorder
Ships within 10 business days

BillP
Postmaster

#5693012 - 02/21/13 04:03 PM

I just got off the line with Pentax USA (chat). They also said the XW line is being discontinued. No word from Japan HQ if a new line will be produced to replace. ...luckily I've got them all excepting the 30mm.

Lance1234
sage

Reged: 11/01/12

Loc: SoCal
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: BillP]
      #5693151 - 02/21/13 05:10 PM

Well if the elusive used 30mm XW doesn't materialize, That last new XW 30mm may still be available in the UK (see my earlier post). Ya gotta pay to play but even at about $600, it's still cheaper than the 31 Terminagler. Ya don't want to be feelin ya missed it later

BillP
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Lance1234]
      #5693160 - 02/21/13 05:13 PM

That price is outside of my comfort zone unfortunately.

Lance1234
sage

Reged: 11/01/12

Loc: SoCal
      #5693200 - 02/21/13 05:38 PM

A couple of drinks and it really didn't seem so bad... Selling my ES 30mm helped too...

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Lance1234]
      #5693225 - 02/21/13 05:52 PM

I had a 30mm XW and my old eyes were unable to dial out the field curvature unfortunately, I prefer the 31T5 Nagler which is sharp to the edge.

Lane
Post Laureate

#5693239 - 02/21/13 05:58 PM

Quote:

I just got off the line with Pentax USA (chat). They also said the XW line is being discontinued. No word from Japan HQ if a new line will be produced to replace. ...luckily I've got them all excepting the 30mm.

Based on the eyepieces they discontinued previously it sure looks like they are getting out of the eyepiece business.

I always wished they would create a high quality true abbe ortho set with matching barlow, like Zeiss does from time to time. Only with a price that mere mortals could afford. No chance of that happening now.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5693247 - 02/21/13 06:02 PM

they discontinued those too, their XO series are some of the finest orthos on the planet.....

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5693260 - 02/21/13 06:06 PM

A 30mm XW for $600? Too rich for my blood ... and my bank account. I'll have to make do with my ES 82 30mm. Not too bad at all.

Likewise for all the Ethos and the Terminagler.

The only XW I'd like that I don't have is the XW 5, but I really don't want to pay $299 for a new one. My ES 82 4.7 will have to take an XW 5's slot in the eyepiece case.

Mike

Lane
Post Laureate

#5693293 - 02/21/13 06:24 PM

I don't believe the XO's were true abbe orthos, they were similar though. Problem is that they only made the 2.5 and the 5.0. No eye relief there at all. I would have wanted nothing smaller than a 6mm and use a barlow to achieve higher power.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5693298 - 02/21/13 06:28 PM

Quote:

The only XW I'd like that I don't have is the XW 5, but I really don't want to pay $299 for a new one. My ES 82 4.7 will have to take an XW 5's slot in the eyepiece case.

Mike

I just grabbed a 5mm Vixen LVW....Gonna try it out tonight. I really want a 5mm XW tho.....So, you know the drill.

Cheers,

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5693319 - 02/21/13 06:45 PM

Pentax made a set of .965 orthos for awhile that are considered among the absolute best, up there with the ZAOs. Releasing them again in 1.25" housings would be awesome and I think, a big seller.

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

#5693347 - 02/21/13 07:09 PM

May be we should invoke the XW Buddha? Someone say XW 3 times.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5693371 - 02/21/13 07:21 PM

Quote:

I don't believe the XO's were true abbe orthos, they were similar though. Problem is that they only made the 2.5 and the 5.0. No eye relief there at all. I would have wanted nothing smaller than a 6mm and use a barlow to achieve higher power.

Yes, I wish Pentax had extended the line. A couple XO 10mm would have been great for binoviewing in my Newts. They aren't true Abbe orthos, but does that really matter? They are sharper and have better scatter control than any "real" orthos, except maybe the ZAO's.

But the XO's do have eye relief. They give plenty of relief to my eyes when I'm observing planets or double stars.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5693378 - 02/21/13 07:25 PM

I just picked up a new Nagler 4-2 Zoom for $225. So I guess I'll let my pursuit of the XW 5 rest for awhile. I need to think about selling some of my redundant eyepieces.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5693386 - 02/21/13 07:30 PM

XW! XW! XW!

Where is the XW Buddha? Where are you when the XW minions need you? In a cave on Mount Fuji, meditating on the imminent extinction of the XW's? Say it isn't so!

Mike

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5693393 - 02/21/13 07:34 PM

Quote:

I've never been more grateful for the Delos line than I am right now. The XWs are my true favorites and I took pleasure in knowing they were somewhat readily available, new or used and well priced. If for any reason I need to replace the XWs and the used prices are no longer 'economical' (i.e. sky high), the Delos line is there to fill the void.

Lane
Post Laureate

#5693397 - 02/21/13 07:35 PM

The XW Buddha is probably having a heart attack about now.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5693401 - 02/21/13 07:41 PM

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5693405 - 02/21/13 07:41 PM

XW. XW. XW.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5693412 - 02/21/13 07:44 PM

Well, I suppose like t.r. suggested, I can always Barlow my XW 10 and get an XW 5.

Mike

ausastronomerModerator
Carpal Tunnel

#5693425 - 02/21/13 07:52 PM

Quote:

Releasing them again in 1.25" housings would be awesome and I think, a big seller.

I believe Hoya still owns the sports optics division of Pentax. Ricoh certainly owns the imaging division of Pentax, not sure if sports optics went with imaging when that moved in July, 2011.

Unfortunately a big seller in a very small market probably doesn't work for either company, so you may not see it happen.

Cheers,

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
      #5693977 - 02/22/13 03:20 AM

The XW Busdha has a full set of XWs and so has reached Nirvana and is most likley no longer interested in earthly cares like will they or wont thay cancel the XWs.

Having seen the light he has moved on to a higher state.....those minions unwise enough not have heeded his counsel are left to wail and gnash their teeth and rend their cloths and say 'why didnt I take his advice on board man and go forth and multiply my collection of glass from the holy Pentax factory'

Those unwise enough are now doomed to only experience muddy glass and so will never enter the kingdom of EP Nirvana.

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5693992 - 02/22/13 03:47 AM

Quote:

Those unwise enough are now doomed to only experience muddy glass and so will never enter the kingdom of EP Nirvana.

Or worse they could stray down the false path of Skywatcher Nirvanas.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5694006 - 02/22/13 04:13 AM

Quote:

Pentax made a set of .965 orthos for awhile that are considered among the absolute best, up there with the ZAOs. Releasing them again in 1.25" housings would be awesome and I think, a big seller.

The Pentax SMC Orthoscopics were excellent eyepieces.

Dave Mitsky

Greg77

Reged: 05/02/09

Loc: Slovenia, EU
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5694007 - 02/22/13 04:21 AM

Funny that no "premium" manufacturers like Pentax, Nikon, TV, ES, Meade, Celestron, Zeiss, Takahashi, ect. no (longer) make a full set of orthos, ranging from...lets say 4-5mm to 12 or better 16mm and up...

Sometimes I hate all this XXXUWA hype...

I'm glad that I have my small set of XWs ranging from 5 to 20mm, but a small set of orthos would be also nice to have. Not too expensive. But thats just my wishful thinking...

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Greg77]
      #5694018 - 02/22/13 04:44 AM

Not everybody is alike. I HATE Orthos and their "straw-like fields". I've never owned an Ortho in my life and I never will.

YMMV....

Greg77

Reged: 05/02/09

Loc: Slovenia, EU
      #5694032 - 02/22/13 05:01 AM

I have this "love-hate relationship" with orthos. I hate them when they fog-up and get dirty with eyelashes, but miss them , when I sell them.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Greg77]
      #5694095 - 02/22/13 07:07 AM

Quote:

Funny that no "premium" manufacturers like Pentax, Nikon, TV, ES, Meade, Celestron, Zeiss, Takahashi, ect. no (longer) make a full set of orthos, ranging from...lets say 4-5mm to 12 or better 16mm and up...

Greg, that's been my want for some time. The only solution it seems at this point is to invest in Seibert's SS3/SS4 Orthos. While I've had four high powers SS3's for some time, I've lacked the time time to really investigate them and compare them to my other Orthos other than some quick peeks at daytime. Those look very good as it is, but the night rules! They don't get mentioned often but when to they do, they're always held in high regard. But since they don't have the volume and brand cachet not many here know them well. Once I get my observatory up its the first time I plan to look at to decide to get 5,6,7,8, and 9 mm. Judging from the MonoCentric's I have they're definately are great pieces. :-) the only down side is a 4-6 weeks delivery. That's still quicker then ES has been :-)

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
      #5694223 - 02/22/13 08:57 AM

well i am glad i changed all my pans and naglers for used pentax XW this fall from 7 to 40 mm. since i can barlow my 10 and 7 i feel like having all the pentax line up

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: coutleef]
      #5694548 - 02/22/13 11:57 AM

Al the EP's you mention are great performers. Although, it is nice to have a continuous line of FL's all the same type and brand. Especially the XW line :-)

landshark99

Reged: 12/16/12

#5694583 - 02/22/13 12:16 PM

I have a 20 on the way to fill out my XW lineup.
On the Pentax site store they say the 30 and 40 are unavailable from them, but list all the others as back ordered with one exception the 5http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product/9579

stevetaylor199
sage

Reged: 09/21/11

Loc: SE Wisconsin
      #5694625 - 02/22/13 12:37 PM

Quote:

Well, I suppose like t.r. suggested, I can always Barlow my XW 10 and get an XW 5.

Mike

I'm now thinking the same thing. The only thing I do not like about barlows is that they do funny and uncomfortable things to the exit pupil, especially on eps with already long eye relief. On the other hand, I don't want to pay $300 for a third XW.

I'm thinking a Siebert telecentric, 2x Powermate, or one of the new jobbies from Explore Scientific might play nice with the XW 10 and 7.

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: stevetaylor199]
      #5694634 - 02/22/13 12:40 PM

I routinely Barlow the lone XW i have (10mm), and it seems to work just fine:
Siebert modular, lensed for 1.7x
TeleVue 2x
Dakin 2.4x
Klee 2.8x

Guess that's where i'll stand.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5694651 - 02/22/13 12:46 PM

Steve,

Actually, I have two options in lieu of an XW 5: Barlow my XW 10 or use my ES 82 4.7. I think I'd rather use the the ES 82 4.7.

I've moved away from depending on Barlows, except as OCAs for my binoviewer. It's bad enough having to consider whether or not to bother with the Paracorr. To also consider whether or not to Barlow is a double bother. I'd rather deal with the eyepieces natively or just keep a good Zoom in the focuser.

Less fiddling with optics, more observing the objects.

Mike

landshark99

#5694796 - 02/22/13 01:56 PM

Adorama looks like they have the 3.5, 5, 7, 10 14 and 20 in stock all for around 280 each

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: landshark99]
      #5694879 - 02/22/13 02:38 PM

Quote:

Adorama looks like they have the 3.5, 5, 7, 10 14 and 20 in stock all for around 280 each

To save everyone else from rushing over to check: the 3.5, 5, and 7 are all still $299.95.

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

#5694921 - 02/22/13 02:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

I'm now thinking the same thing. The only thing I do not like about barlows is that they do funny and uncomfortable things to the exit pupil, especially on eps with already long eye relief. On the other hand, I don't want to pay $300 for a third XW.

I'm thinking a Siebert telecentric, 2x Powermate, or one of the new jobbies from Explore Scientific might play nice with the XW 10 and 7.

The ES 2x 1.25" barlow plays nicely with my 20mm XW.

Dave

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5694973 - 02/22/13 03:24 PM

Quote:

That's about $10 more than I spent last year for everyone except the 3.5 and 5mm which were a bit more and the 30+40mm, those were 450 or 550-ish, I forget. If you want great EP's a $10 difference should not be a barrier.

I would buy them all again at today's prices.

But I don't have to :-)

stevetaylor199
sage

#5695191 - 02/22/13 05:12 PM

Thanks gents. When (hopefully not if) my 7 and 10 arrive from Adorama, I'll first give them a try with my trusty old Ultima 2x, then maybe consider the ES.

landshark99

#5695595 - 02/22/13 08:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To save everyone else from rushing over to check: the 3.5, 5, and 7 are all still $299.95.

Sorry, you are right, I meant it as a price range not a specific amount for each, but the 10 and 14 are 280 and the 20 is 290

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

#5700009 - 02/25/13 03:07 PM

Unless the seller hasn't updated, there's a 10mm XW for $255 that was listed on Friday in the CNC here. Pristine condition.

http://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=74787&sor...

Shame I already have one or else i'd have jumped on that price.

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5700066 - 02/25/13 03:33 PM

Quote:

Unless the seller hasn't updated, there's a 10mm XW for $255 that was listed on Friday in the CNC here. Pristine condition.

Not so sure it's such a great deal. New ones are $279 at Adorama with free shipping and no 3% PayPal fee. I'd need a little more than a $15 discount to buy used.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5700118 - 02/25/13 03:55 PM

There's ones ADVERTISED at Adorama...few actually remain.....

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5700126 - 02/25/13 03:58 PM

Here's one Vendor that says they will still be avail.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php/Number/5696383/

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5700429 - 02/25/13 07:16 PM

Adorama just sent me an email confirmation that they shipped my 5 and 20mm XWs. That will pretty much end the nice weather here.

I got the 7mm last year and have had the 10 and 14 for awhile.

stevetaylor199
sage

#5700433 - 02/25/13 07:18 PM

Quote:

Well, I knew that sooner or later I would be buying them anyway. Adorama shipped a 7 and 10 for me today.

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

#5700451 - 02/25/13 07:26 PM

Those two are really good from a small to medium Dob for high power or for a short scope for medium magnification.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Deep13]
      #5700462 - 02/25/13 07:35 PM

Seems like every time there is a "threat" that a certain eyepiece won't be selling anymore that ppl go GAGA over them and buy them all out. Once the hoopla is over, you'll see them up for sale in no time at all for cheaper prices again, lol!

I've gone through heaps myself because I like to try as many as possible, no matter how "extinct" they may become.

I guess that's how things go when something becomes a threat sales wise, no matter what it is, for some people anyways.

Cheers,

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

#5700530 - 02/25/13 08:32 PM

The closure of Japanese optical firms is not imaginary. UO orthos are gone, ultimas and HD orthos are gone (one one vendor promises to have some sizes sometime this year), Pentax XOs are gone. Meade EPs, Celestron, and a lot of Orion's used to be Japanese. Now they aren't. The cheap is the enemy of of the good. A small price difference can kill a superior product and between that and the tsunami, that's what happened to Japanese eyepieces. Well that and the global recession.

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5700577 - 02/25/13 09:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not so sure it's such a great deal. New ones are $279 at Adorama with free shipping and no 3% PayPal fee. I'd need a little more than a $15 discount to buy used.

Oh that's right, I forgot the 20 was $279, I was thinking it was $299 like the others. Nevermind then!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5700578 - 02/25/13 09:09 PM

True,

However, the used market is still wide open!

Cheers,

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

#5700579 - 02/25/13 09:09 PM

Quote:

That's excellent news, because I really can't afford the 7 or 5 too soon and I would love to own them down the road.

ensign
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
      #5700675 - 02/25/13 10:15 PM

Quote:

Al the EP's you mention are great performers. Although, it is nice to have a continuous line of FL's all the same type and brand. Especially the XW line :-)

It's also cool to have eyepieces that excel at their respective focal lengths. I have the 10 and 7 XWs, and Nagler type 4s in 12, 17 and 22 mm focal lengths. The Nagler 3-6 zoom is like having 4 high quality planetary eyepieces in one. Given my need for eye relief, I haven't lusted after 100* eyepieces. In fact 70* seems immersive to me.

I note no mention of the Pentax 40 XL. I find it to be a superb wide field eyepiece. I found one bnib last summer.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: ensign]
      #5700714 - 02/25/13 10:34 PM

I just bought a Pentax XL 5.2 at a great price, less than half the price of any XW 5.1 I've seen. This was an option I hadn't considered. I'll keep the XL, maybe sell my ES 82 4.7 and wait until I'm ready to pick up an XW 5.1. I'm in no hurry.

Mike

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

#5700754 - 02/25/13 11:03 PM

The XLs were very highly regarded when they were in production and still are. The XWs are a little better, but the XLs are as good as they ever were.

Mike B
Starstruck

#5700772 - 02/25/13 11:18 PM

Quote:

...but the XLs are as good as they ever were.

I'm a dissenter on that count. I had a pair of the 10.5mm XLs, and i mono + bino-viewed with them. Was entirely unimpressed. Finally sold 'em both off- several years back.

More recently, i picked up a single 10mm XW. Totally different experience! I really enjoy this EP!

Granted, the scope these two EPs are used in has changed, so that may be part of it. But many EPs bridge that same scope change, and i still have them & like them a lot!

The 10.5mm & 14mm XLs i used did not impress my eyes at all. They were "okay", but i found many other EPs to best them.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5700777 - 02/25/13 11:22 PM

I have the 7XL, and am equally impressed with it, along with my 2 XW's.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5700848 - 02/26/13 12:22 AM

I was just out in my yard viewing Jupiter with my 5mm Vixen LVW. Really nice EP for Jupiter! The 5.2mm XL is no slouch either, which I also owned.

Saw some really cool detail in the belts and one fairly large barge as well. I was only out testing the 5mm LVW against the 10mm XW barlowed and the 5mm LVW was better.

T'was a fun night indeed!

Cheers,

ausastronomerModerator
Carpal Tunnel

#5700859 - 02/26/13 12:34 AM

Quote:

I was only out testing the 5mm LVW against the 10mm XW barlowed and the 5mm LVW was better.

Cheers,

Hi Mark,

If you used the 2" 2X GSO barlow that IMO is the weakest link in the chain. I would be interested to see if the results change with a top grade 2X barlow.

Cheers,

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5700876 - 02/26/13 01:02 AM

Quote:

Hi Mark,

If you used the 2" 2X GSO barlow that IMO is the weakest link in the chain. I would be interested to see if the results change with a top grade 2X barlow.

Cheers,

Hi John,

I would agree with that statement 100%!

What I found weird was the views of Jupiter with the 2" GSO Barlow + 10mm XW showed considerable CA, and just the opposite with the 5mm Vixen LVW alone! I don't recall seeing this before.

Cheers,

george tatsis
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/08

Loc: Flushing, NY - Europe
      #5701016 - 02/26/13 04:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Mark,

Cheers,

Hi John,

What I found weird was the views of Jupiter with the 2" GSO Barlow + 10mm XW showed considerable CA, and just the opposite with the 5mm Vixen LVW alone! I don't recall seeing this before.

Cheers,

I remember seeing CA with all my Pentax XWs when I still had them,about 6 months ago.And that was with no barlow in the light path on an Orion Optics 10" f/6.3 reflector. The Radians on the other hand presented none!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: george tatsis]
      #5701137 - 02/26/13 08:16 AM

I hear that 5mm XO calling my name.....

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5701144 - 02/26/13 08:25 AM

Mike B,

Quote:

I'm a dissenter on that count. I had a pair of the 10.5mm XLs, and i mono + bino-viewed with them. Was entirely unimpressed. Finally sold 'em both off- several years back.

More recently, i picked up a single 10mm XW. Totally different experience! I really enjoy this EP!

Granted, the scope these two EPs are used in has changed, so that may be part of it. But many EPs bridge that same scope change, and i still have them & like them a lot!

The 10.5mm & 14mm XLs i used did not impress my eyes at all. They were "okay", but i found many other EPs to best them.

I don't have a horse in this race. If I don't like the XL, it won't be the first time I was disappointed - or at least not impressed - by an eyepiece and sold it.

I did research the XL's vs XW's before I pulled the trigger on this XL 5.2. I knew the XW's were more highly regarded, but I never saw anything that said the XL's were not decent eyepieces. Sure, the XL's have a little smaller AFOV and the XW's have a little better coatings. But other than that, what was so bad about the XL's?

FWIW, I won't be using XL's in my binoviewer. I'm already full up in very nice bino pairs.

My experience with other eyepieces, too, tells me that there can be stinkers and shiners in most any line of eyepieces, which is why I usually don't acquire entire lines. For instance, I like the XW's, but I'd never buy an XW 14 because of FC. And the only reason I have an XW 20, is because I got a very good deal. Luckily, though, the 20 cleaned up nicely with a Paracorr.

Mike

stevetaylor199
sage

#5701367 - 02/26/13 10:38 AM

Quote:

Those two [the 7 and 10] are really good from a small to medium Dob for high power or for a short scope for medium magnification.

Yup, I'm looking forward to using them in scopes like 8 & 10" Dobs of medium speed, my C6R and eventually a AT72ED or similar.

The thing I am most hopeful about is that these eps are resistant to fogging. Cool temps and high humidity are pretty common here, so eyelens fogging is truly the bane of my planetary observing sessions. The eyelenses on both my orthos and ES 82s fog over pretty quickly during viewing on many nights, which is immensely frustrating.

I figure that the large eyelens, retracted eyecup and especially the 20mm eye relief will make a large difference.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5701407 - 02/26/13 11:00 AM

Steve,

Quote:

The thing I am most hopeful about is that these eps are resistant to fogging. Cool temps and high humidity are pretty common here, so eyelens fogging is truly the bane of my planetary observing sessions. The eyelenses on both my orthos and ES 82s fog over pretty quickly during viewing on many nights, which is immensely frustrating.

I figure that the large eyelens, retracted eyecup and especially the 20mm eye relief will make a large difference.

The best solution to the problem of fogging optics is dew control with heat strips. It can be very dewy here in Maryland. I can't imagine going to my dark site without active dew control. I would not eliminate any eyepieces due to dewing. Just heat those eyepieces to make sure they don't dew in the first place.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5701411 - 02/26/13 11:05 AM

Markus,

Quote:

I was just out in my yard viewing Jupiter with my 5mm Vixen LVW. Really nice EP for Jupiter! The 5.2mm XL is no slouch either, which I also owned.

Saw some really cool detail in the belts and one fairly large barge as well. I was only out testing the 5mm LVW against the 10mm XW barlowed and the 5mm LVW was better.

The contrasty image of Jupiter could be partially due to the warm tone of the LVW. I've noticed this, too, with my 8mm LVW.

The XL's are also supposed to be warm-toned, even warmer than the Radians! That's surprising, because the XW's seem neutral to my eyes. Different coatings, I suppose.

Mike

stevetaylor199
sage

#5701412 - 02/26/13 11:05 AM

Thanks Mike. I do have available dew control, but I'm a bit lazy about putting straps on eyepieces. Too many of 'em! You're not the first person who's told me this, though, so I guess I have to get serious about it.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5701418 - 02/26/13 11:08 AM

Yep. It is a bother to set up dew control. But if I don't do it, I'll have to keep zapping the eyepieces and finders with a portable hair-dryer. That's even more of a bother!

Mike

stevetaylor199
sage

#5701441 - 02/26/13 11:25 AM

Yes, I've thought about the hair dryers too!

Keeping it on topic for XW eps, these look pretty well insulated, and the Pentax spec is that they are 61mm wide. Do you just use a strap for a 2" eyepiece at 100% power on most nights?

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5701457 - 02/26/13 11:30 AM

"Saw some really cool detail in the belts and one fairly large barge as well"

I've heard of Jupiter boats, but............

Mike B
Starstruck

#5701463 - 02/26/13 11:33 AM

Quote:

Heck, if nothing else, they're always handy for touching up your toni during observing breaks...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5701467 - 02/26/13 11:35 AM

Yes, I use a 2"-sized strip for all the eyepieces in the focuser. I can always cinch it in to fit smaller eyepieces. I put a 1.25" strip on the eyepiece that's in my optical finder, and a special prong-shaped heater in the Telrad window. So I have three dew-strips coming from the dew controller.

But I always bring along another portable power supply and a portable hair-dryer just in case. Redundancy may seem foolish in language, but it makes abundant sense out here in the real world.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5701469 - 02/26/13 11:35 AM

Next time, grab your wife's blow dryer and tell her it's for astronomy....see if she believes it....and if she does (cause its true)....see the look she gives you like she's reconsidering your sanity........

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5701472 - 02/26/13 11:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Heck, if nothing else, they're always handy for touching up your toni during observing breaks...

I don't have to worry about that. I haven't used a hair-dryer on my hair since the early '70's. A towel is good enough.

Mike

Mike B
Starstruck

#5701473 - 02/26/13 11:38 AM

Quote:

Next time, grab your wife's blow dryer and tell her it's for astronomy...

Not sure we wanna go there.... my wife has her eye on my Dob's primary... what a great "vanity-mirror" it would make!

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5701484 - 02/26/13 11:42 AM

You mean I spent all that money for a mirror and I could have went to WallyWorld and got a Chinese one for cheap??????

Mike B
Starstruck

#5701487 - 02/26/13 11:44 AM

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5701508 - 02/26/13 11:56 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

I did notice that my latest XW acquisition must have been from one of the newer batches--the 'Pentax Corporation' badge has been changed to 'Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co. LTD.'. Still 'Made in Japan' though.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5701522 - 02/26/13 12:04 PM

Hmmm, have to look at mine....never paid it any attention. I'd imagine the newer ones have updated coatings.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5702008 - 02/26/13 04:30 PM

Quote:

The contrasty image of Jupiter could be partially due to the warm tone of the LVW. I've noticed this, too, with my 8mm LVW.

The XL's are also supposed to be warm-toned, even warmer than the Radians! That's surprising, because the XW's seem neutral to my eyes. Different coatings, I suppose.

Mike

It wasn't the fact that the view with the 5mm LVW was more "contrasty". In using my 10mm XW with the 2" GSO ED barlow I was getting major amounts of CA that I have never seen before. The views in the 5mm LVW seemed a bit warmer, I did notice that, but Jupiter was getting quite low when I had seen it. In viewing Jupiter with the 5mm LVW just last week when Jupiter was higher, it didn't have a "warm" tone to it at all and threw up a view quite like the 5.1mm Pentax XL I had a while ago.

Just an FYI: The Pentax XL's are not "warm" in tone at all. In fact the 5.1mm XL I had showed a neutral tone.

Quote:

My experience with other eyepieces, too, tells me that there can be stinkers and shiners in most any line of eyepieces, which is why I usually don't acquire entire lines. For instance, I like the XW's, but I'd never buy an XW 14 because of FC. And the only reason I have an XW 20, is because I got a very good deal. Luckily, though, the 20 cleaned up nicely with a Paracorr.

Mike

If you have a Paracorr, the 14mm XW would clean up nicely in that, so the FC would not be an issue.

Quote:

I remember seeing CA with all my Pentax XWs when I still had them,about 6 months ago.And that was with no barlow in the light path on an Orion Optics 10" f/6.3 reflector. The Radians on the other hand presented none!

In my 10mm and 7mm XW's alone, I can barely see any CA unless I look near the extreme edges. Some Radians are chock full of CA in a big way !!!

Cheers,

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

#5702119 - 02/26/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

The thing I am most hopeful about is that these eps are resistant to fogging.

You might want to crank out those glare shields, then.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5702198 - 02/26/13 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Just an FYI: The Pentax XL's are not "warm" in tone at all. In fact the 5.1mm XL I had showed a neutral tone.

I said the XL's were "supposed" to be warm. This was in one of the many threads I've read about the XL's. But I have not received my XL yet, and will not be able to judge for myself until then.

To me the XW's are neutral, so I had some doubt that their elder brothers the XL's would be warm. Oddly enough, I've read a few comments which claim that even the XW's are warm! To me, the XW is the epitome of a neutral-toned eyepiece. Could it be these folks are a bit color blind? Or maybe the coatings that Pentax uses have changed over the years?

IME, though, I have seen that eyepieces can have warm, neutral or cool tones, and that those differences do have an effect on how objects appear to me in the eyepiece. Warm-toned eyepieces will make Jupiter's bands more obvious and "contrasty." They will also bring out contrast in lunar maria. I've seen it too many times to doubt it.

Quote:

If you have a Paracorr, the 14mm XW would clean up nicely in that, so the FC would not be an issue.

I'll pass on the XW 14. I really don't want to depend on the Paracorr to flatten out the FC in an eyepiece. It's bad enough I have to do that for the XW 20. On the other hand, if an XW 14 comes up at a really good price ...

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5702252 - 02/26/13 06:42 PM

"To me, the XW is the epitome of a neutral-toned eyepiece. Could it be these folks are a bit color blind?"

It could be due to too much coffee, too much televue viewing, or it could just be they are full of it up to their eyeballs...

Just joking....but they're pretty crystal clear to me....

Starman1

#5702253 - 02/26/13 06:42 PM

As we age, the lenses in our eyes turn yellow. This process is known as brunification.
Be skeptical when someone refers to a yellowish or warm tone in an eyepiece until he tells you his age.
ALL eyepieces get more "warm-toned" as we get older.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5702264 - 02/26/13 06:48 PM

Quote:

"To me, the XW is the epitome of a neutral-toned eyepiece. Could it be these folks are a bit color blind?"

It could be due to too much coffee, too much televue viewing, or it could just be they are full of it up to their eyeballs...

Just joking....but they're pretty crystal clear to me....

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5702267 - 02/26/13 06:50 PM

Guess all us old dudes (and dudettes) can all sell our yellow filter now.......

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5702279 - 02/26/13 06:58 PM

Quote:

As we age, the lenses in our eyes turn yellow. This process is known as brunification.
Be skeptical when someone refers to a yellowish or warm tone in an eyepiece until he tells you his age.
ALL eyepieces get more "warm-toned" as we get older.

I suppose I should be thankful that some eyepieces still look neutral or even cool to me ... and be more skeptical of other's opinions.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5702387 - 02/26/13 08:15 PM

Quote:

I did notice that my latest XW acquisition must have been from one of the newer batches--the 'Pentax Corporation' badge has been changed to 'Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co. LTD.'. Still 'Made in Japan' though.

Just checked, mine are all the old "Pentax Corporation" stamped in, no labels. The newer ones might have different coatings, or, it could have just been a "lable change" due to the merger.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5702425 - 02/26/13 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just checked, mine are all the old "Pentax Corporation" stamped in, no labels. The newer ones might have different coatings, or, it could have just been a "lable change" due to the merger.

I would venture a guess that they are exactly the same. When you are debating whether to nix a product line or not, you probably wouldn't be thinking of upgrading the coatings and spending any more time and effort on the product. Just my guess.

WStewart
professor emeritus

#5702437 - 02/26/13 08:46 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

I bought the 5XW a few weeks ago. The lens is recessed pretty deeply (about 3/4" inch), and unlike the 7XW (which just arrived today), it doesn't appear to be adjustable. Is this normal for the 5XW?

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5702443 - 02/26/13 08:48 PM

None of the Pentax XW's show a "yellow" tone to them from what I can see. I can't see ANY in my 10mm or 7mm XW's. I guess whoever said that must have the "brunification effect" that Don mentioned, or they are indeed color blind.

There is also no "yellow" thing going on in the 5mm LVW I own either, but that won't matter for much longer as I will be replacing my 5mm LVW with a 5mm Pentax XW really soon!

That'll be three XW's I own in the 10mm, 7mm and 5mm ones.

Can't go wrong there !!!!

Quote:

I bought the 5XW a few weeks ago. The lens is recessed pretty deeply (about 3/4" inch), and unlike the 7XW (which just arrived today), it doesn't appear to be adjustable. Is this normal for the 5XW?

Sounds like you have a defective 5mm XW...Please send it to me and I will fix it, hahaha....Just kidding. I am currently looking for a 5mm XW!

In all honesty, the eye cups on the XW's are ALL adjustable, unless yours is stuck on the threads?

Cheers,

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5702459 - 02/26/13 08:56 PM

Quote:

There is also no "yellow" thing going on in the 5mm LVW I own either, but that won't matter for much longer as I will be replacing my 5mm LVW with a 5mm Pentax XW really soon!

Sounds like your LVW 5 is a temporary place holder for an XW 5. I guess my new XL 5 will be doing that for me.

Mike

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

#5702473 - 02/26/13 09:03 PM

Quote:

They're all adjustable. It looks like yours is racked all the way up.

WStewart
professor emeritus

#5702484 - 02/26/13 09:09 PM

Well they must've cemented this one, but I can always unscrew the cap on the end.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5702553 - 02/26/13 09:46 PM

Quote:

Well they must've cemented this one, but I can always unscrew the cap on the end.

Wow really? Have you applied a bit of force to unscrew it?

If you unscrew the top half, and the bottom half is stuck, the bottom half will be "flush" with the eye lens. All you'd have to do when viewing is "hover" above the eye lens, without getting too close and you'll be good to go.

If you don't like it, I have a 5mm Vixen LVW I'd be willing to trade + $$$, lol.

Cheers,

WStewart
professor emeritus

#5702564 - 02/26/13 09:57 PM

Nope, I stopped just short of taking a Channellock to it...it's stuck tight. I think this one's going back (the 7mm XW adjusts fine, btw).

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5702634 - 02/26/13 10:47 PM

Get one of those round grippers used to open jars. That ought to do it. I'd try a few more things before sending it back.

Mike

Hermie
sage

Reged: 04/20/05

Loc: Cloudy HKG
      #5702841 - 02/27/13 02:31 AM

Wesley,

It sounds like you have made a reasonable attempt to move the eye guard. I'd be thinking about sending it back to Pentax. The XWs have a lifetime guarantee, so even if you are the second owner they should fix it. If it was me, I would be getting in contact with the seller (if it was bought from a retail store) or with Pentax (if you bought it privately).

Hermie

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Hermie]
      #5703612 - 02/27/13 02:29 PM

That picture above shows a 5mm all the way out. It would not fit in the shipping case mine arrived in like that, not with the foam in there anyway, did you get it used? You need to turn the top clockwise to make it go back down. If you can't do that then you need to return it.

WStewart
professor emeritus

#5703669 - 02/27/13 02:57 PM

Nope, bought it new from Adorama and that's how it was shipped. I'm going to take Mike's advice and find some kind of rubber grip and have another go at it, and if that doesn't work it's going back.

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

#5703807 - 02/27/13 04:27 PM

My 5 and 20 XWs just arrived. It's snowing, of course.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5703833 - 02/27/13 04:51 PM

Sunny out right now, still a lot of snow on the ground though, wet and mucky....

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5703913 - 02/27/13 05:40 PM

Go outside and view the Snow Nebula !!! it's huge !!! no filters required !!!!

Cheers,

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5703921 - 02/27/13 05:45 PM

Don't have to go outside to view it....and if I do, I get all wet...

Lane
Post Laureate

#5703993 - 02/27/13 06:23 PM

Not trying to rub it in, but the temperature here is above 50 degrees and we have clear blue skies.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5704041 - 02/27/13 06:52 PM

I'll remember that come hurricaine season....

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5704062 - 02/27/13 07:12 PM

Quote:

Not trying to rub it in, but the temperature here is above 50 degrees and we have clear blue skies.

Yea, but we never get tornadoes or hurricanes.

I'm glad I live here!

Click your heels 3 times and repeat after me: "There's no place like home"

Cheers,

WStewart
professor emeritus

#5704096 - 02/27/13 07:33 PM

We don't get a lot of hurricanes in Dallas (or Frisco). We are occasionally pestered with tornadoes, though.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5704097 - 02/27/13 07:34 PM

I only seen the rain nebula all day...lol!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5704145 - 02/27/13 07:55 PM

Quote:

I only seen the rain nebula all day...lol!

Did you try a filter? or was the non-filtered view better?

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5704161 - 02/27/13 08:01 PM

My glasses were so fogged up, I couldn't tell one filter some another!

ausastronomerModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: george tatsis]
      #5704173 - 02/27/13 08:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Mark,

Cheers,

Hi John,

Cheers,

Hi George,

I can't really agree with that assesment. Over the past couple of months I have done quite a bit of testing for my 6mm eyepiece review. I hope to have something properly written up within the next month or two on this review.

What I can say is that in terms of lateral colour control on bright objects at and near the edge of field I rated these three eyepieces as follows:-

7mm Pentax XW = 8/10
6mm DELOS = 8/10
6mm TV Radian = 7/10

That having been said the Radian was quite impressive in some other areas. Even allowing for the difference in FOV, I found the Radian to outperform the DELOS fairly comfortably in edge of field sharpness where I rated the same three eyepieces as follows:-

7mm Pentax XW = 8.5/10
6mm DELOS = 7/10
6mm TV Radian = 9/10

These results were arrived at in my premium 10"/F5.3 newtonian without paracorr.

Cheers,

george tatsis
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/08

Loc: Flushing, NY - Europe
      #5704504 - 02/27/13 11:17 PM

Hi John,

I mentioned the better performance of the Radians specifically for my 10" scope. However, when I had the TV-85 some Radians were prone to exhibiting CA as much as the Pentax XWs,but not more.Of course, the TV-85 is not as perfect as some folks make it out to be, since some color is evident in high mags

John,since you mentioned it! I think you should restart the 6mm comparo thread ,if the weather has been good enough to let you draw some conclusions that is!

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #5704876 - 02/28/13 08:32 AM

Quote:

Nope, bought it new from Adorama .....

There's your first problem! They burned me over 2 years ago and I still get a knot in my stomach every time I see their name.

WStewart
professor emeritus

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: mich_al]
      #5705020 - 02/28/13 09:58 AM

I've bought from Adorama before without any problems (I used to buy from them all the time when I was still shooting film).

Anyway, I got the 5XW unstuck with these ($5 at Home Depot)...it took all of 5 seconds, after spending half an evening struggling with it bare-handed (during which there was great gnashing of teeth).

I now have a happy, well-adjusted (get it?) eyepiece collection.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5705060 - 02/28/13 10:31 AM

And another item finds it's way into the "NonAstronomy Items Used for Astronomy" Hall of Fame.....

WStewart
professor emeritus

#5705070 - 02/28/13 10:36 AM

They've earned a spot in my eyepiece case because I'm pretty sure they'd work well with stuck filters, too.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5705080 - 02/28/13 10:41 AM

The gloves I use for viewing have rubber on the palms and fingers so that I can "grip" an eyepiece. it also has material on the index fingers to operate smartphones/tablets. They were made for running, but work great.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5705095 - 02/28/13 10:50 AM

I need a pair of Gorilla Gloves! I mean literally gloves made for gorillas. The problem is, I have gorilla-like hands, so human gloves seldom fit. My palms are wide and thick, and the fingers are relatively short. I don't wear gloves at the telescope, no matter how cold it gets, and despite the fact that my hands get very, very cold.

Gorilla Hand - a somewhat exagerrated resemblance to my own hand

Mike

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5706233 - 02/28/13 09:33 PM

Oh Gawd,

That hand is so gross. Thanks for the visual Mike.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5706249 - 02/28/13 09:40 PM

I did say it was an exaggerated resemblance!

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5706884 - 03/01/13 09:54 AM

What's an Orion Stratus doing in the Puzzles and Toys section????

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5706992 - 03/01/13 10:58 AM

I don't see that, but I see a lot of other neat things! Maybe I can convince my daughter to get some of these curiosities for Christmas or her birthday.

Mike

Mike B
Starstruck

#5707216 - 03/01/13 01:42 PM

Quote:

I don't wear gloves at the telescope, no matter how cold it gets, and despite the fact that my hands get very, very cold.

Hi Mike-

Not being an experienced cold-weather person myself, i've recenly learned how much BETTER at keeping fingers warm *mittens* are, where the fingers remain together within the same 'enclosure'. Makes sense, now that i think about it...

Would mittens fit hour hands better, maybe? My new mittens have nice end-flaps where the thumb and/or fingers can be exposed for tactile purposes, then re-covered when desired.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5707290 - 03/01/13 02:37 PM

Mike goodness! Not to know the difference between mittens and gloves! How bout galoshes and boots? :-)

Seriously, mittens are the way to go for cold fingers and hands. Now, what would fingerless mittens look like?

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5707351 - 03/01/13 03:15 PM

Quote:

What's an Orion Stratus doing in the Puzzles and Toys section????

The last Orion Stratus I had should be put in the Kaleidoscope and Puzzles & Toys section.

CA started at about the 65% mark and was only, (barely), even sharp in the center.

Mike B
Starstruck

#5707480 - 03/01/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

Mike goodness! Not to know the difference between mittens and gloves! How bout galoshes and boots?

"galosh" is the sound my boots make when they're leaking?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5707706 - 03/01/13 07:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't wear gloves at the telescope, no matter how cold it gets, and despite the fact that my hands get very, very cold.

Hi Mike-

Not being an experienced cold-weather person myself, i've recenly learned how much BETTER at keeping fingers warm *mittens* are, where the fingers remain together within the same 'enclosure'. Makes sense, now that i think about it...

Would mittens fit hour hands better, maybe? My new mittens have nice end-flaps where the thumb and/or fingers can be exposed for tactile purposes, then re-covered when desired.

I've tried just about every type of glove or mitten or glove-mitten. None are exactly what I want or need, and I eventually end up tearing them off when observing, even when the temps are in the 20's. Basically, gloves just get in my way.

The best "glove" is a warm-up session in the car every hour or so. Luckily, I can easily set my crossover so that no white lights will come on when I start up the vehicle. And I've Velcroed Rubylinth filters over the overhead lights. I don't need no stinkin' gloves!

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5707716 - 03/01/13 07:58 PM

Here is the branding info on my XW eyepieces:

XW 3.5: Pentax Corporation Made in Japan embossed
XW 7: same
XW 10: same
XW 20: same

None of mine have the Pentax Ricoh sticker.

I bought all of them used except for the XW 3.5.

Mike

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5707723 - 03/01/13 08:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike goodness! Not to know the difference between mittens and gloves! How bout galoshes and boots?

"galosh" is the sound my boots make when they're leaking?

DA! Tovarish!

* Jokes over, picture too big :-)

Edited by MRNUTTY (03/02/13 11:37 AM)

WStewart
professor emeritus

#5707752 - 03/01/13 08:29 PM

Quote:

XW 20: same

Same with my XW5.

My XW7 has the "Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co., LTD/ Made in Japan"
sticker/plaque.

Both came new from Adorama. I bought the XW5 five or six weeks ago, and the XW7 just this week.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5707755 - 03/01/13 08:30 PM

Chitaiti li vee po-ruski?

I don't go out without galoshes! Every place is dry for me... Sold everywhere.

Mike

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5707795 - 03/01/13 09:06 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5708578 - 03/02/13 11:10 AM

Stopped by the scope shop yesterday, the lady there had talked with Pentax on the Phone and they told her that only the 30mm and 40mm XW were discontinued. They will continue to manufacture the 3.5-20mm versions.

Mike B
Starstruck

#5708967 - 03/02/13 03:04 PM

Whew, what a relief.

Okay, so we can all relax & decompress, cancel our vender orders, renege on our Amart purchase arrangements, or lower our asking prices...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5709116 - 03/02/13 04:45 PM

...or make do with our XL 5.2's and LVW 5's!

Mike

GeneT
Ely Kid

#5709304 - 03/02/13 06:27 PM

GUEEZE!

WStewart
professor emeritus

#5709380 - 03/02/13 07:02 PM

Gesundheit.

Edited by WStewart (03/02/13 07:03 PM)

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
      #5709430 - 03/02/13 07:40 PM

It was beginning to sound like the Cuban missile crisis.

Dark skies.

Jack

Joe Ogiba
Postmaster

Reged: 02/14/02

Loc: NJ USA
      #5709446 - 03/02/13 07:49 PM

Quote:

Stopped by the scope shop yesterday, the lady there had talked with Pentax on the Phone and they told her that only the 30mm and 40mm XW were discontinued. They will continue to manufacture the 3.5-20mm versions.

That looks correct as that is what is listed on Pentax Japan website .

stevetaylor199
sage

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Joe Ogiba]
      #5709480 - 03/02/13 08:02 PM

I think we would all be better served with additional confusion seen here, at another Pentax product site. This page, which is (or should be) linked from their spotting scopes page, shows only the four models from 7 thru 20mm. Maybe that's only because those are better suited to the spotting scopes... or not. (Note that the web store page linked in the previous post also shows the XO 2.5mm, which is widely believed to be discontinued.)

But enough of that. Time for first light for my 7 and 10 XWs...

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5710353 - 03/03/13 10:50 AM

Thought I was going to have a chance last night, predicted just partly cloudy, Guess it was only cloudy from horizon to horizon and cleared up when out of my view. Figures....People say I could make a lot of money traveling the world making clouds.....I just look at them in utter shock...

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5714709 - 03/05/13 03:33 PM

Quote:

It was beginning to sound like the Cuban missile crisis.

Dark skies.

Jack

So, I guess 'crisis averted'?

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

#5714918 - 03/05/13 05:12 PM

Well if that website is correct for the foreseeable future, then they did eliminate the two shortest sizes. So I got one while it was still available and the other perhaps unnecessarily. But even then, I am going to compare the 20 to the 22 Pan. and keeping of of them.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5715162 - 03/05/13 07:16 PM

Got it while I could, 30XW....I'm done for awhile....

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5715186 - 03/05/13 07:28 PM

That's what I did. Never looked back :-)

Mike B
Starstruck

#5715720 - 03/06/13 12:58 AM

Quote:

Never looked back

No, for THAT we use mirrors.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5716194 - 03/06/13 11:17 AM

My XL 5.2 arrived yesterday. It cost me less than half the price of a new XW 5.1. Looking good. Of course, now we have freezing rain and snow.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5716289 - 03/06/13 12:23 PM

Went to the scope store to pick up the 5XO she had (still new in box) and someone had just beat me to it ($309). Got the XW instead.....then the next XW.....and the next....and the next....you're getting the picture....Think I'm done now for awhile, anybody know where you can buy some Cloud-B-Gone?????

Mike B
Starstruck

#5716380 - 03/06/13 01:22 PM

No, but i think i saw a cloud filter on Amart last week... might still be there?

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5716417 - 03/06/13 01:36 PM

Wherever I go, Clouds follow me. I charge by the trip....

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5716437 - 03/06/13 01:44 PM

Vendors must love it when it is cloudy... We end up buying so much stuff during those dreary days when we can't use what we already have!

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5716464 - 03/06/13 01:56 PM

It's why their first purchases were cloud machines........

Mike B
Starstruck

#5716809 - 03/06/13 04:37 PM

It's them gol'derned nerds at Apple Inc... marketing all that "cloud" storage... soon it'll be so stuffed we'll be lucky to sneak peeks past the edges!

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5716820 - 03/06/13 04:44 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

For those who are interested (and if the lenses end up in your lap, you'll need this).

Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
      #5716913 - 03/06/13 05:32 PM

That is really interesting how much the eyepiece designs change between focal lengths. I never would have guessed that.

Ultron

Reged: 08/11/12

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Dan Finnerty]
      #5716985 - 03/06/13 06:13 PM

My XW 10mm arrived yesterday. Snow and rain arrived today. Can't wait to use it!

I was looking for a replacement for my 10mm plossl. Was going to wait for the ES82 11mm to be in stock, but jumped for the XW10 when I saw it might not be around anymore. Thank god these "scares" don't happen more often. I'd be spending too much money!

Does the 10mm Barlow well? I have a 6mm TMB planetary but I'd like to see how much better the views are with the barlowed XW10.

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Ultron]
      #5717039 - 03/06/13 06:44 PM

Quote:

I have a 6mm TMB planetary but I'd like to see how much better the views are with the barlowed XW10.

If you care even an ounce for that 6mm TMB, you won't allow it too near the Pentax... all it takes is a split second, and *ZAP* - the TMB will be reduced to a smoldering lump of salt.

Other than that, the TMB is a decent eyepiece...

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5717101 - 03/06/13 07:20 PM

Quote:

If you care even an ounce for that 6mm TMB, you won't allow it too near the Pentax... all it takes is a split second, and *ZAP* - the TMB will be reduced to a smoldering lump of salt.

ausastronomerModerator
Carpal Tunnel

#5717210 - 03/06/13 08:25 PM

There is a lot of good information about all the Pentax Eyepieces on the Pentax Japan Website

Pentax XW lens configuration diagrams

Pentax XW Light Transmission Graphs

Pentax XW Astigmatism and Field Curvature Graphs

It's in Japanese but its easy enough to interpret the graphs. You can also translate it to read most of the commentary, if you wish.

Cheers,

Mariner@sg
sage

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
      #5717485 - 03/06/13 10:54 PM

Quote:

Wherever I go, Clouds follow me. I charge by the trip....

Stay away from my area

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Mariner@sg]
      #5717906 - 03/07/13 08:31 AM

That's what the charge is for.....to NOT take the trip

stevetaylor199
sage

#5718389 - 03/07/13 12:57 PM

Quote:

There is a lot of good information about all the Pentax Eyepieces on the Pentax Japan Website

It's in Japanese but its easy enough to interpret the graphs. You can also translate it to read most of the commentary, if you wish.

Cheers,

Great stuff -- thanks for these links! I had seen only one of these pages before.

Would anyone mind explaining the aberration curves?

Translated by Google into my native language, it reads, "how to shift the focus in the direction of radial and concentric This astigmatism curves, which indicates the amount of focal shift (the apparent angle), and the horizontal axis the distance from the center of the field of view in the vertical axis, solid line concentric The amount of focal shift direction (DS), the dashed line indicates (DM) in the direction of the focal shift amount of radiation."

I'm not grasping what the DS and DM lines actually represent. I get that the x-axis is marked at -0.2m and +0.2m (which sounds like a LOT, btw), and that the y-axis is the distance from the center.... but I'm not getting what's represented by DS and DM. It looks like nearly all of these eps have some amounts of field curvature (and astigmatism?), except the 10mm, on one of the two measures.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5718431 - 03/07/13 01:23 PM

The only praise a TMB Planetary ever deserved was faint.

Mike

Ultron

Reged: 08/11/12

Loc: New Jersey
      #5718439 - 03/07/13 01:28 PM

Quote:

Great stuff -- thanks for these links! I had seen only one of these pages before.

Translated by Google into my native language, it reads, "how to shift the focus in the direction of radial and concentric This astigmatism curves, which indicates the amount of focal shift (the apparent angle), and the horizontal axis the distance from the center of the field of view in the vertical axis, solid line concentric The amount of focal shift direction (DS), the dashed line indicates (DM) in the direction of the focal shift amount of radiation."

I'm not grasping what the DS and DM lines actually represent. I get that the x-axis is marked at -0.2m and +0.2m (which sounds like a LOT, btw), and that the y-axis is the distance from the center.... but I'm not getting what's represented by DS and DM. It looks like nearly all of these eps have some amounts of field curvature (and astigmatism?), except the 10mm, on one of the two measures.

I was curious too. I found this post Pentax XW Astigmatism and Field Curvature

The description is in the last post.

stevetaylor199
sage

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: Ultron]
      #5718496 - 03/07/13 01:55 PM

That's a perfect explanation. Looks like the 5 is a real winner, in that it has very little astigmatism and field curvature (possibly) canceling that of many scopes. And, as that poster notes, FC is less of an issue at smaller exit pupils.

Funny how that info and these eyepieces are 8 years old, btw.

Edited by stevetaylor199 (03/07/13 01:56 PM)

Starman1

#5718669 - 03/07/13 03:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers,

Simply this:
The two curves represent the Sagittal (essentially vertical) and tangential or Meridional (essentially horizontal) surfaces. The deviation between them is zero at the center of the field (the bottom of the graph), and the deviation at the top (the edge of the field) indicates astigmatism.
The units on the bottom are diopters of deviation and, ideally, the curves should not deviate by more than 1 diopter or the astigmatism will be visible.
And the vertical center line would indicate a perfectly flat field, with a curve to the left indicating negative field curvature and a curve to the right indicating positive field curvature. However, the Petzval curve usually lies between the S and M curves, and it is that deviation from the center line that more determines whether or not field curvature is visible. The Petzval curve is not illustrated. As I mentioned, a deviation of 1 diopter is usually accommodatable.
If the S and M curves are very close together, there is little astigmatism. If both curves go to the right or left, it may indicate that focusing somewhere in the field other than the center may be necessary to bring the whole field into focus. If the two curves are identical and one goes right and the other goes left, the field will appear flat but there may be excessive astigmatism.

teskridg
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/15/08

Loc: PA
      #5730697 - 03/13/13 04:56 PM

S and M curves? Isn't this a family forum? Tim

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Pentax XW's Toast? new [Re: teskridg]
      #5731175 - 03/13/13 09:29 PM

because they're curves they're ok, now had they been spikes.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
33 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8719

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics