Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
For life-long learners...
      #5689821 - 02/19/13 10:04 PM

From the Teaching Company. I purchased and am downloading the "Our Night Sky" lecture tonight. Just in case someone else is interested.

I've seen one entire lecture on video from this company prior to this. It was Bart Ehrman lecture and it was a very nice production.

http://www.shopgreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/courses.aspx?s=820&ps=910

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: For life-long learners... new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5690308 - 02/20/13 07:51 AM

Thanks!

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #5690667 - 02/20/13 11:25 AM

A few years ago I purchased a college level lecture series on Astronomy from this company and found it very dry and boring and far from college level. I wouldn't even consider passing on to fellow observer, so I just trashed it. I am glad that some of their courses are worth the price. I just wish getting off their catalog mailing list was as easy as tossing their course was.
Sorry to be so negative but I was very disappointed.
Be Well
Grey

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: For life-long learners... new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5690725 - 02/20/13 11:59 AM

This one is targeted for undergrads and as an Intro course, so it's not going to be highly technical. More of a survey course or a night course for adults.

What's dry and boring for one is fascinating to another.

Have you tried calling them to remove you from their mailing list?

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

#5690989 - 02/20/13 02:12 PM

True, I may expect too much for the subject matter, but as far as calling to remove my name from their mailing list; the pleasure I get from dropping the unread flyer in the waste bin and knowing they have wasted a little of their advertising budget, like I wasted a bit of my astronomy budget somehow justified.

Be Well
Grey

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5691031 - 02/20/13 02:38 PM

Too bad Cosmos (Carl Sagan)hasn't been updated. Took that course in the late 80s. Best course I ever took, lost the book in a move long ago. Really beautiful book.

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Re: For life-long learners... new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5691102 - 02/20/13 03:01 PM

Net Flix does offer a lightly updated "Cosmos" Carl Sagan's wife does a brief prolog.The series does hold up well. I think partly because he deals with the history of astronomy and takes the viewer along for a "personal journey" of discovery. I don't think anyone in the astronomy community has left as much of an appreciation of the cosmos as Dr. Sagan has.
Be Well
Grey

Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
      #5691467 - 02/20/13 06:18 PM

I too found “Cosmos” on Netflix and it is true it’s still such a pleasure to watch, Carl Sagan is for sure an icon.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

#5691882 - 02/20/13 10:33 PM

Quote:

True, I may expect too much for the subject matter, but as far as calling to remove my name from their mailing list; the pleasure I get from dropping the unread flyer in the waste bin and knowing they have wasted a little of their advertising budget, like I wasted a bit of my astronomy budget somehow justified.

Be Well
Grey

It's a fair to be critical! How else can we learn? Your comments made me think deeper - thanks!

I've watched a snippet here and there of this particular set and it really is a pretty basic intro to the night sky, at least the first few lectures. Later on he brings in historical information that is, for sure, not something any newbie will know - at least not me . So, it's a mix for sure. Maybe good for the newbie and for the newbie with some experience, fast forward to the more meaty stuff?

I'm of the mind that if I can pick up a few tidbits, then I'm happy.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
      #5692150 - 02/21/13 02:53 AM

I have watched over 70 DVD courses by The Teaching Company over the years. The one on Cosmology is pretty good.

Watching all the DVDs really changed the way I view the world. If you've seen the movie Limitless, it is like taking the smart pill, except for that part about dying if you stop. I guess, I haven't stopped watching.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: For life-long learners... new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5692587 - 02/21/13 11:53 AM

I do have to admit, no college course affected me more then when I took "Cosmos" (Yep, that one) in college in the late 80s. Talk about a course that made you stop and think....oddly enough, it was listed under the "Psychology" area and not in Physics or Natural Science areas. I consider that course one of the highlights of my life. It is truely sad that we lost Carl......

astrochild

Reged: 10/31/12

Loc: Otsego Co. NY. USA
      #5692636 - 02/21/13 12:20 PM

Thank you, much appreciated.

Bob

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#5692637 - 02/21/13 12:21 PM

Cosmos is being remade.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/arts/television/fox-plans-new-cosmos-with-s...

It will be done by Neil deGrasse Tyson this time.

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

#5692912 - 02/21/13 03:05 PM

Neil deGrasse Tyson, I like him, tends to be very entertaining and knowledgeable. I hope Dr. Tyson does not try to remake "Cosmos" I hope he makes his own version and leaves the Sagan "Cosmos" alone. Maybe he could call it "Today's Cosmos" that leaves the series continually unfinished as it should be. A few years down the road Dr. Brian Cox could do "Cosmos the Dark Side" A private journey
into madness.
Be Well
Grey

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5692955 - 02/21/13 03:32 PM

It will be interesting to see, considering Fox is the one doing it. If politics is left out, if science is accepted, and religion only mentioned as a historical reference; then maybe it'll be ok...

Agree with Grey, don't redo it. That would be like trying to remake "Gone With The Wind", just ain't going to go over well... But, a "Cosmos-The Next Generation" where the science and knowledge are updated would be fine. I would have no problem if they referenced "Cosmos", especially in areas where science has proved/disproved theories/areas covered in "Cosmos". But, "Cosmos 2.0", nah, ain't interested.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#5693008 - 02/21/13 04:00 PM

Quote:

It will be interesting to see, considering Fox is the one doing it. If politics is left out, if science is accepted, and religion only mentioned as a historical reference; then maybe it'll be ok...

Both the producer, Seth McFarlane (Family Guy), and Neil deGrasse Tyson (physicist) are atheists. I think we're OK on the religion front.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

#5693108 - 02/21/13 04:44 PM

Tyson will have to hit on much of the same material. But Tyson is a new voice for a new generation. Young people of today will listen to Tyson. I can't imagine the typical young person of today wanting to listen to Sagan. If it is a re-do, then you'll know you were not the target market.

Quote:

A few years down the road Dr. Brian Cox could do "Cosmos the Dark Side" A private journey into madness.

I think Brian Cox is a cool daddy-o. In fact, if I were to give credit to anyone for getting me interested in astronomy, it's him.

ensign
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
      #5694788 - 02/22/13 01:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Both the producer, Seth McFarlane (Family Guy), and Neil deGrasse Tyson (physicist) are atheists. I think we're OK on the religion front.

Atheists, of course, being the best authorities in matters both of science and religion . . .

gpelf
sage

Reged: 12/28/11

Loc: Kentucky
Re: For life-long learners... new [Re: ensign]
      #5694918 - 02/22/13 02:57 PM

The last few nights on Netflix, I have been watching a 2007 version called "The Cosmos: A Beginner's Guide",,,,,
Also been watching "Nova, Science now", At least a few good episodes with some astronomy, and it is hosted by "Neil deGrasse Tyson"....

Clear Skies,
Greg

geekgroupie
sage

Reged: 01/07/12

Loc: Puebo, CO
Re: For life-long learners... new [Re: gpelf]
      #5695213 - 02/22/13 05:23 PM

Everytime I rent astro DVDs , they just sit there cuz I'd rather read... just sharing. Will check out the links posted. I'm mad at Tyson...I'm sure he's all torn up about it.. wish the scientists would stick to science and leave personal beliefs out of it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1295

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics