Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
spencerj
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: Londonderry, NH
Re: Telrad vs Celestron/Orion Red Dot new [Re: nikdangr]
      #5692390 - 02/21/13 09:23 AM

Quote:

Boy, is this fun. Got the Porta Mount today and because the C90 gets turned 90 degrees to fit in the dovetail, the location of the base for the old finder scope is unusable. So I guess I wait and see if the Telrad will work with the two-sided tape. I should have seen this coming.

Amateur Astronomy is full of fun surprises. This won't be the last. Just take them in stride. Learn and move on. The Telrad will be a bit big on the scope, but it will work.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Telrad vs Celestron/Orion Red Dot new [Re: spencerj]
      #5692558 - 02/21/13 11:26 AM

Couldn't you reposition the focuser to compensate for the 90* mounting difference? Also, while the Telrad is about half the size of the scope, and it will look unique (in astronomy we prefer the word unique to weird), but as the mount can handle the weight, it shouldn't be a problem. Try to mount it as far forward on the tube as you can, and rebalance the scope (if you mount it towards the diagonal end, you could bang your head on it, not good). The problem is, where do you mount the actual finderscope. While Telrads are good, they are really meant to be used in conjunction with a regular finderscope. The telrad gets me into the ballpark, the finder shows me home plate....

nikdangr

Reged: 02/10/13

Loc: Annandale, VA
Re: Telrad vs Celestron/Orion Red Dot new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5692589 - 02/21/13 11:54 AM

Quote:

Couldn't you reposition the focuser to compensate for the 90* mounting difference? Also, while the Telrad is about half the size of the scope, and it will look unique (in astronomy we prefer the word unique to weird), but as the mount can handle the weight, it shouldn't be a problem. Try to mount it as far forward on the tube as you can, and rebalance the scope (if you mount it towards the diagonal end, you could bang your head on it, not good). The problem is, where do you mount the actual finderscope. While Telrads are good, they are really meant to be used in conjunction with a regular finderscope. The telrad gets me into the ballpark, the finder shows me home plate....

Can't move the focuser. It's an internal mechanism on the C90.

I'm looking at a number of options for getting a finder mounted where I want it (preferably the Telrad, but that may change).

1. Two sided tape
2. Clamshell rings on the tube
3. Remove the current finder mounting plate and see how deep I can get with sheet metal screws in a new location. The plate sits on a poly plastic ring at the back end of the OTA, so there's more depth to work with than just the metal OTA. I have to check with Celestron first and make sure the plate was originally installed with screws and not bolts. I'd hate to have nuts rattling around inside the scope.

Correction: I thought the ring was poly without having looked closely at it. It's actually aluminum.

Edited by nikdangr (02/21/13 02:32 PM)

edwinh

Reged: 03/01/08

Loc: Chandler AZ
Re: Telrad vs Celestron/Orion Red Dot new [Re: nikdangr]
      #5692665 - 02/21/13 12:35 PM

Quote:

Is there a planetarium app for Android that will put the Telrad reticle on a selected object?

I just found this one called "astro tools" if you want something free - it has a telrad circle you can turn on or off. Wasn't aware of it earlier... can't comment on the app's usability yet.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Telrad vs Celestron/Orion Red Dot new [Re: edwinh]
      #5692724 - 02/21/13 01:07 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

On my Vixen Porta, I just flipped the head and mounted my RDF on the mount. I had to drill & tap 2 small threads.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Telrad vs Celestron/Orion Red Dot new [Re: SteveG]
      #5692729 - 02/21/13 01:09 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Here it is with better slow-mo controls and a Manny Miles Panhandle:

Gary Riley
sage

Reged: 12/01/11

Loc: White Bluff, TN
Re: Telrad vs Celestron/Orion Red Dot new [Re: SteveG]
      #5692741 - 02/21/13 01:14 PM

nik,

I was going to mention that you might could contact Manny Myles(user name), a fellow CNer, who makes adapters to fit the Vixen Porta II mounts so that you can mount your C90 in the tradtional horizontal fashion. Several here have used his adapters and like them.

Gary

nikdangr

Re: Telrad vs Celestron/Orion Red Dot new [Re: Gary Riley]
      #5692819 - 02/21/13 01:57 PM

Quote:

nik,

I was going to mention that you might could contact Manny Myles(user name), a fellow CNer, who makes adapters to fit the Vixen Porta II mounts so that you can mount your C90 in the tradtional horizontal fashion. Several here have used his adapters and like them.

Gary

Gary-

Now, that is slick! I like the panhandle, too. I'll definitely check out Mr. Myles.

Thanks!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Telrad vs Celestron/Orion Red Dot new [Re: edwinh]
      #5693785 - 02/21/13 11:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is there a planetarium app for Android that will put the Telrad reticle on a selected object?

I just found this one called "astro tools" if you want something free - it has a telrad circle you can turn on or off. Wasn't aware of it earlier... can't comment on the app's usability yet.

Astrotools was an early Android Astro App. For it's time, it had the largest database, all the IC and NGC objects. The was very little information on the objects but they were there. It ran quite fast but the original author stopped development and released the source code.

Cloudy Nighter Alexander Pruss took up the torch but when Southern Stars announced they were porting Sky Safari to the Android, there was no longer a need to develop a serious Android Astro App and so, instead he developed Screen Dim, GB Keyboard (red keyboard) and LunarMap Lite and HD, all very useful apps. Screen Dim and GB Keyboard enhance Sky Safari and other astro apps such as Skeye.

I think I tried every A A A out there, free or paid, I tried them all. Sky Safari Plus and Sky Safari Pro are Giants, huge databases, lots of information, they run fast on slow hardware with so many useful features.. you can run your scope with Sky Safari.. Sky Safari makes most desktop programs look underpowered and lacking in depth...

The Plus version is $15.. less than the cost of the most inexpensive Plossl.

Jon

nikdangr

Re: Telrad vs Celestron/Orion Red Dot new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5696659 - 02/23/13 01:54 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Following up on the Telrad business, I received mine today and slapped it on the dove-tail adapter from ScopeStuff I received yesterday and mounted it on the scope.

Aside from looking a little weird having a finder almost as big as the scope, it's great. It's rock solid, even thought the 8" Telrad is suspended over the OTA by only
1.5" of dovetail at the back end. The male part of the dovetail attached to the Scopestuff adapter is securely fastened to a machined aluminum piece that replaces the original plastic Telrad base that has the double-sided tape.

It'll look (and work) a lot better when I get my Manny Myles mod to turn the OTA 90 degrees clockwise.

If anyone needs that original base with the tape, private meassage me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1472

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics