Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
SEJ
journeyman

Reged: 10/04/10

Do Skyprodigy and SkyFi work together? new
      #5689660 - 02/19/13 08:19 PM

I just got a SkyProdigy 102 for my daughter and am interested in getting the SkyFi wireless unit to allow her to use SkySafari on the iPad or one of several apps on our Mac ( Equinox, Astroplanner, Stellarium, Starry Nights) to control the scope.

I've asked Celestron, Southern Stars,and the good folks at Optcorp and no one seems to have a definitive answer as to whether they will work together.

Has anyone had any experience with the two in combination?
Thanks,
Eric

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wcstarguy

Reged: 12/04/08

Re: Do Skyprodigy and SkyFi work together? new [Re: SEJ]
      #5690823 - 02/20/13 12:48 PM

I'm getting one of the SP70 models (today actually) mainly to use the mount with some other scopes I have (I got a really good deal on the new SP70). I have been researching the possibility of pc control of the SP and am finding the same ??? No one seems to truly know or will say if they do know. I have read some suggestions on Celestron's SP FAQ about using the mount with other software by selecting or installing another mount's firmware (slt or lcm). Here is the link, scroll down to the links about skyQ: http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=view&a...
Other than this suggestion I'm still not sure. WC

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
Re: Do Skyprodigy and SkyFi work together? [Re: wcstarguy]
      #5690839 - 02/20/13 12:55 PM

If SkyFi compatibility is unknown at this point, try checking the Astro Devices Nexus, an alternative wi-fi DSC. You can find the Astro Devices contact page here.

Edited by tezster (02/20/13 12:56 PM)

jsm174
journeyman

Reged: 03/21/12

Re: Do Skyprodigy and SkyFi work together? new [Re: tezster]
      #5693289 - 02/21/13 06:22 PM

I own both the SkyProdigy 130 and SkyFi. I can confirm that currently they do not work together.

The SkyProdigy hand controller (StarSense) RS232 port appears dead. I posted something about it here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5389418/Main...

Anyway, last May I contacted Celestron, and they said there was a good chance for a firmware update at the end of 2012. I've been waiting patiently and I contacted them again (about a week ago), and it looks like June or July.

They are releasing a StarSense accessory that will fit other telescopes, so my guess that will have updated firmware which will enable the RS232 port:

http://www.celestron.com/portal/celestron-starsense-accessory.html

-- Jason

wcstarguy

Reged: 12/04/08

Re: Do Skyprodigy and SkyFi work together? new [Re: jsm174]
      #5693300 - 02/21/13 06:31 PM

Thanks for the info. Jason. I have a quick (sort of ot) question for you about the SkyProdigy hc. I received mine yesterday (and of course the weather is clouded and icy for a day or two) and noticed the RS232 port on my hc is on the bottom of the hc but there is no cover over it, almost looks like a little plastic cover is missing, is your hc control the same way? I looked on google images for pics of the hand control but could not find any of the backside. WC

SEJ
journeyman

Reged: 10/04/10

#5693336 - 02/21/13 07:04 PM

Jason
I saw your post and was hoping you'd gotten it resolved.

I also have a Meade LX200 GPS and am looking for a solution I can use for both scopes.

I guess I'll have to be patient until this summer.

In the meantime, if the firmware update comes out and you get everything to work, would you make a post to either this group or the computers/software forum and fill us in?

Thanks a lot!
-Eric

jsm174
journeyman

Re: Do Skyprodigy and SkyFi work together? new [Re: wcstarguy]
      #5693385 - 02/21/13 07:29 PM

No problem. I just looked at mine and it's open just as you described.

jsm174
journeyman

Re: Do Skyprodigy and SkyFi work together? new [Re: SEJ]
      #5693394 - 02/21/13 07:34 PM

Eric. I'll definitely make an update post when the new firmware comes out. I'm really anxious to finally getting it all working!

SkyRemat

Reged: 07/24/12

#5873087 - 05/20/13 04:37 AM

Hi,
I have a skyprodigy 130, it doesn't work with skyfi but I bought nexstar+(Item # 93988) HC and it works with skyfi. However you have to choose another type of celectron telescope(SLT or LCM) to make it work from sky safari setup.

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 627

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics