Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Rifting in the NEB Jupiter Sketch
      #5691090 - 02/20/13 02:57 PM Attachment (59 downloads)

I finally got around to posting this sketch of mine. The night had good seeing and I was able to use 208x. Usually I get to 171x and no higher. Anyway the prominent feature on this side was the rifting in the NEB. On the south border of the NEB there were festoon bases observed as well, but these were smaller than others I've seen. Because of the magnification a good view of the NTB was had. Subtle festoons were visible across the EQZ. The SEB was darker on the border to the EQZ like the NEB. The NNTB and SSTB were seen on the border of their respective polar regions.

This sketch was made at 10pm local time but I've found on many nights the seeing is better earlier. Jupiter is high in the sky at twilight and thats a great time to see it here when my work schedule allows.

Clear and steady skies. Dean

2/3/13 6-6:20 UT CM l 94.80 CM ll 306.50 CM lll 19.92

10" f/6 Newt 208x Apodizing screen

Seeing 2 ( Ant. Scale ) Transparency 5 Santa Cruz, CA

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
Re: Rifting in the NEB Jupiter Sketch new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #5691677 - 02/20/13 08:15 PM

Beautiful sketch. Really like how you do the colors.

Sol Robbins
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/01/03

Re: Rifting in the NEB Jupiter Sketch new [Re: nirvanix]
      #5692296 - 02/21/13 07:39 AM

Wow!

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #5692306 - 02/21/13 07:50 AM

Dean, a most impressive sketch. Thanks for the view.

Rich (RLTYS)

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Rifting in the NEB Jupiter Sketch new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5693064 - 02/21/13 04:27 PM

Nirvanix, Sol, and Rich,

Thank you very much for the kind comments. Jupiter is a fantastic planet that always comes up with something new to see.

Nirvanix, I'm glad you like the colors. The color rendition is as I'm sure you noticed, is exaggerated some, but that enables me to depict the subtle features better. During moments of good seeing the color seems to pop more.

Sol, Thanks for the use of your Jupiter template. I've been using your template since I began posting sketches back in 2009. The light belt shading on the template helps with the positions of the main belts.

Rich, Thank you for moderating my favorite forum on CN.

Dean

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5693840 - 02/22/13 12:21 AM

Dean that's great work. You've truly come into your own and your color sense is spot on. The irregularities in the NTB is nicely shown. My 5/10 seeing really didn't spit much up here in this regard and when I DID get 7/10 (back on thanks giving week!!!!!) I was too tired from sketching from the south to the north to give it a fair shake!!!!! Had I known that'd be the last nice night for months Idve stepped it up!!!!

You continually outdo yourself Dean.

Pete

Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: Rifting in the NEB Jupiter Sketch new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5694936 - 02/22/13 03:05 PM

Absolutely gorgeous sketch! Love the detail in the NEB.

In the past year, I have rarely seen much detail other than an easily visible barge or white spot in the NEB, from where I live.

Thanks for sharing Dean.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Rifting in the NEB Jupiter Sketch new [Re: Astrodj]
      #5695691 - 02/22/13 09:38 PM

Dean,

An outstanding sketch and observation. Your colors are very realistic--what did you use on your sketch? It looks like color pencils to me.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Rifting in the NEB Jupiter Sketch new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5695836 - 02/22/13 11:04 PM

What's really successful is his white balance. I for the life of me get this wash of light that's too warm and fills in tone where it should be pure white - the real success in your hues is the seperation of them. Bravo !!!

Pere

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5695837 - 02/22/13 11:05 PM

What's really successful is his white balance. I for the life of me get this wash of light that's too warm and fills in tone where it should be pure white - the real success in your hues is the seperation of them. Bravo !!!

Pete

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

#5695890 - 02/22/13 11:38 PM

Thank you for the generous comments everyone. I did enlarge the template I was using which seems to help some with the sketching, especially the finer details.

Pete, I know what you mean. Jupiter coming into opposition this winter has been a mixed bag. Jupiter high above the horizon but in winter skies which usually means more turbulence. I hope you get more nights of great seeing.

DJ, Your Cave scope is surely capable of great views. F/7 is the focal length I ordered on my telescope but I was shipped a F/6 instead which actually has worked well for me. F/6 proved to be plenty of scope for me to handle. I can barely get my scope into my Honda CIvic, my current vehicle. If it was a F/7 I surely would need a different car. You might consider making an Apodizing screen for your newt if you don't have one. It works well for me. Though if the seeing is bad it won't do miracles.

Michael, I used color pencils and soft pastels. It's been frustrating at times working with color. I find the pencil sketching much easier and it's what I do at the scope. Later I copy the sketch and add color.

Looking forward to my next observation of Jupiter and wishing you all- Clear and steady skies. Dean

ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

#5725762 - 03/11/13 12:37 PM

Hi Dean,

Nicely done sketch thanks for posting it. You have recorded some nice detail.

Best,

Eric

ericj
professor emeritus

#5725785 - 03/11/13 12:48 PM

Hi Dean,

I know what you mean about a 10" f/6 being plenty of scope for to handle. Some years ago when the old Starry Messenger was still being published (before AstroMart) I bought a Cave 12.5" f/6 on an equatorial mount. The tube alone was 80" in length.

I did not have a permanent place to keep it set up so it was about the fastest cure for aperture fever ever

Best,

Eric

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Rifting in the NEB Jupiter Sketch new [Re: ericj]
      #5728496 - 03/12/13 04:19 PM

Eric,

Thank you very much. It's been an interesting apparition. Jupiter is a fascinating planet.

I probably would of bought a 12.5" instead of the 10" if I had the money, but the 10" proved to be plenty of scope for what I wanted to do. If I had waited to earn the money for a 12.5" I would have missed the 1971 opposition of Mars which was wonderful in the 10.

I like your avatar it looks like the comet impact on Jupiter ( Shoemaker-Levy) . That was a sight to behold.

Dean

ericj
professor emeritus

#5745436 - 03/20/13 03:41 PM

Hi Dean,

Thanks, the avatar was from the 1987 opposition of Jupiter when the north polar region showed an unusual number of dark spots.

Come to think of it those dark spots do remind me of the impacts scars of Shoemaker-Levy.

Best,

Eric

I like your avatar it looks like the comet impact on Jupiter ( Shoemaker-Levy) . That was a sight to behold.

Dean

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 743

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics