Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1
seafury

Reged: 01/18/12

old telescope
      #5691165 - 02/20/13 03:36 PM

Hi a friend of mine told me had an old telescope which he showed me I thought it looked so I did some research and found this
http://www.onlinegalleries.com/art-and-antiques/detail/ramsden-telescope/91535

and it is identical to my friends even down to the box and its latches and the eye pieces, the one in the photo is inscribed Ramsden London and dated 1790 my friends is inscribed J Ramsden, Broadhurst Clarkson so I think it might be a bit later in date, any ideas anyone

Gordon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dgreyson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: old telescope new [Re: seafury]
      #5691548 - 02/20/13 07:02 PM

Broadhurst Clarkson and Co were British Telescope makers.

Jesse Ramsden was also an english telescope maker in the same era give or take 50 years or so.

Dont know of a connection between the two off hand. Some of our english gentlemen might remember the specifics. Best post some pictures for us to see if you can.

seafury

Re: old telescope new [Re: dgreyson]
      #5692119 - 02/21/13 02:10 AM

Hi I have posted on SGL as I am in in England, Broadhurst Clarkson were also a shop which sold other makes of telescope so I think it was made by J Ramsden and sold via BC

grendel
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/12/09

Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK
¬!~ new [Re: seafury]
      #5692169 - 02/21/13 04:08 AM

there is a short potted history of broadhurst clarkson here on the company website - http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/about_us.html, I would say your friens although to the same design is a later model as Clarkson didnt take over the firm until 1873, and Broadhurst didnt join until 1892, 92 years after Ramsdens death. it is known that they had standard models that were made for a long period, so it is possible that this was a design by J Ramsden built by Broadhurst Clarkson some 100 years after Ramsdens death.
Grendel

sdc

Reged: 11/30/06

Re: ¬!~ new [Re: grendel]
      #5692205 - 02/21/13 05:32 AM

I'll pitch in out of interest as I'm a bit of a broadhurst historian and have only just found my login details after a couple of years of reading Broadhurst Clarkson manufactured a large range of the standard components and sold them to the other telescope makers. That's why so many 'vintage' instruments look remarkably similar. Their main business was drawing brass tubes. Re-badging BC&Co scopes was very common. I'm not aware of any history between Ramsden and BC though. Really interesting. Would love to see a picture.I do know that BC would not put someone else's name on a scope though.. Pictures would help. Should be a lovely telescope.

dgreyson
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: ¬!~ new [Re: sdc]
      #5692845 - 02/21/13 02:11 PM

J Ramsden, of Ramsden eyepiece fame, died in 1800. Since you say they used common parts, I wonder if a J Ramsden eyepiece was simply put on a late 1800's BC&Co scope. Or not.

sdc

Reged: 11/30/06

Re: ¬!~ new [Re: dgreyson]
      #5694084 - 02/22/13 06:50 AM

seems a reasonable assumption. Piccies would help

seafury

Re: ¬!~ new [Re: sdc]
      #5694284 - 02/22/13 09:36 AM

Hi the scope itself is inscribed J Ramsden , Broadhurst Clarkson were around in the mid 1700's so I wonder if the scope was made by J Ramsden and supllied by BC

Gordon

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: ¬!~ new [Re: seafury]
      #5694568 - 02/22/13 12:07 PM

I thought I read somewhere that the Broadhurst and Clarkson names weren't together until the late 1800s or so. Also, B&C scopes were made until sometime in the 1950s.

But if yours is inscribed Ramsden, it's an earlier one.

-Tim.

dgreyson
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: ¬!~ new [Re: tim53]
      #5695160 - 02/22/13 04:58 PM

Perhaps they worked on it and restamped it with their mark. There is a similar telescope with dual BC&C marks:

'The Comet'. A brass 3 inch refracting telescope by Aitchison & Co, the 36.5 inch tube stamped 'Adjusted by Broadhurst. Clarkson & Co 63 Farringdon Road, London E.C.', the end stamped 'The Comet Aitchison & Co London and Provinces', on a folding tripod base with two eye pieces, in a fitted case.

danielp

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: Memphis, TN
Re: ¬!~ new [Re: dgreyson]
      #5712806 - 03/04/13 04:05 PM

Is this scope for sale? Asking price?

dgreyson
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: ¬!~ new [Re: danielp]
      #5713098 - 03/04/13 06:41 PM

The "Comet" telescope sold at auction some time ago I think. You may wish to PM Seafury and ask about the J Ramsden telescope. If he decides he dosent want to buy it perhaps he'd put you in touch with his friend who has it.

seafury

Re: ¬!~ new [Re: danielp]
      #5713741 - 03/05/13 01:22 AM

Hi Daniel my friend doesn't know if he is going to sell this scope , we are based in the UK so shipping would be costly

regards Gordon

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1310

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics