Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
wirenut
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/21/06

Loc: m'dale Pa
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: Mike Casey]
      #5690980 - 02/20/13 02:07 PM

Quote:

I wonder if the government would try to withhold news as long as possible of an upcoming serious asteroid strike?

I think they would try to hide it depending on a couple of things like how big, how much time before it hits. if it's a Tunguska event they would notify and try to evacuate if time allowed, if it's a true doomsday event I'd think they'd try to suppress it since nothing could be done and we all go nuts knowing our end was near.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jarad
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/03

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: wirenut]
      #5691135 - 02/20/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

If it's a true doomsday event I'd think they'd try to suppress it since nothing could be done and we all go nuts knowing our end was near.

Again, if they only get a few hours notice they could probably keep it quiet. More because they wouldn't really have an efficient way to broadcast it that quickly even if they wanted to than out of secrecy, but they could probably do it.

But a true doomsday impact means a large object, which means it can be seen coming from farther away, which means that lots of astronomers in lots of countries are likely to see it. Even if some governments decide to try to suppress information like this, I don't see how they could succeed. Some other government or some non-government observers (professional and amateur) will see it and speak up.

Look at how effective government officials have been at covering up their affairs, misuse of campaign funds, etc. If they can't keep secrets that start with only 2 or 3 people, how do you think they could manage to keep a secret with something that thousands will know about?

I wish that they were really that competent. And that stable - if you think knowing that the end is near will make the rest of us go nuts, what makes you think that the government officials who find out first won't go nuts too? Half of them would probably run out and immediately announce that the impactor is divine punishment for the sins of those who disagree with their religion and/or politics, and proves that they were right.

Jarad

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: CNN -- duh! [Re: Jarad]
      #5691343 - 02/20/13 05:07 PM

Quote:

I wish that they were really that competent.
Jarad

Careful what you wish for...that is a really scary thought!

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5691814 - 02/20/13 09:54 PM

If competence is scary, then I'm sure we'll all be able to rest easy tonight.

Jarad
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/03

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: CNN -- duh! new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5692277 - 02/21/13 07:21 AM

Okay, it looks like Scott Adams has been reading this thread...
Dilbert is in on the conspiracy

Jarad

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2177

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics