Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
sandybourne

Reged: 12/18/12

Loc: Texas
Re: poor go to possible reasons? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5685436 - 02/17/13 03:49 PM

Thanks JR.

I went over the time /date but think the GPS is not as accurate as I would presume maybe ?

I would say the biggest issue last evening was the 2 star set up. It would point to an area that when I looked through my 26mm eyepiece there was not one bright star in view?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: poor go to possible reasons? new [Re: sandybourne]
      #5686097 - 02/17/13 10:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks JR.

I went over the time /date but think the GPS is not as accurate as I would presume maybe ?

I would say the biggest issue last evening was the 2 star set up. It would point to an area that when I looked through my 26mm eyepiece there was not one bright star in view?

The GPS is plenty accurate but if users don't set the time zone correctly local time will be off by some number of hours. Then if they set the time manually to make the display right, the calculated GMT will be off by the same amount and the mount will be lost in space.

If the alignment star slews are way off, that is almost always a time zone user error. You can still continue to align by slewing however far you have to. After alignment, time/location don't matter at all except for Solar System objects so celestial objects will work fine.

sandybourne

Re: poor go to possible reasons? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5686214 - 02/17/13 11:47 PM

Thanks again for your kind input, will see how it all goes next time out.

Edited by sandybourne (02/17/13 11:48 PM)

Christopher EricksonModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
      #5686250 - 02/18/13 12:08 AM

Quote:

I have had issues with my new 10inch acf finding its targets, I called Meade who informed me it did not matter which direction the control panel faced(confused)!. I am unable to see Polaris due to the house being in the way but have a full view of the southern sky. It goes through its set up OK and GPS tells me it working,but.....!

I now use my 10 inch ACF as a clothes hanger after it couldn't even find a full moon. I bought the the wife a full gym membership to get her fit to lift the telescope out to the back yard only for her to run of with the fitness instructor na just joking

Any advice welcome.

Since the LX200GPS has a bunch of Moon targets in its database, you have to hit ENTER twice when the Moon is displayed before it will correctly slew to the Moon. The second ENTER is so the scope knows that you want to go to the Moon as a whole, versus the other Moon targets that you would see if you scrolled up or down.

I hope this helps!

Carpal Tunnel

#5686253 - 02/18/13 12:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks JR.

The GPS is deadly accurate. However the magnetic digital compass can be influenced by various things in the environment. This means the alignment stars can be off by a fair number of degrees when doing an initial alignment. This is normal and not cause for alarm.

astrogeoguy

Reged: 07/02/11

Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
Re: poor go to possible reasons? new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #5687963 - 02/18/13 10:29 PM

I often have to rotate my LS8 mount a few degrees after the find north step in order that the align stars be close. Too bad Meade didn't give us a chance to correct the north azim.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: poor go to possible reasons? new [Re: astrogeoguy]
      #5687973 - 02/18/13 10:34 PM

Quote:

I often have to rotate my LS8 mount a few degrees after the find north step in order that the align stars be close. Too bad Meade didn't give us a chance to correct the north azim.

Are you sure they didn't? The other compass-equipped Meade models have one. Look for a function labeled "Calibrate North".

sandybourne

#5688097 - 02/18/13 11:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks JR.

The GPS is deadly accurate. However the magnetic digital compass can be influenced by various things in the environment. This means the alignment stars can be off by a fair number of degrees when doing an initial alignment. This is normal and not cause for alarm.

Thanks Chris for your advice.

dogeddie
sage

Reged: 03/26/10

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: poor go to possible reasons? new [Re: dogeddie]
      #5689624 - 02/19/13 08:06 PM

Quote:

WOOT!! I had it out tonight and it it spot on!! I am very happy, and I love this scope! Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still using the LNT as well.

I believe it must have been the tripod issue. I squared it up as I mentioned above. Then I tightened the tripod bolt and RA lock until I was absolutely sure I was not getting any slipping by visually checking for movement when I tried to turn the scope by hand. (it was more than I thought would be necessary) That did the trick!

As a follow up for anyone who may have similar issues I picked up a 6x6x1/16" gasket rubber and cut it into a 6" circle, then cut a hole in the center for the through bolt. Before I put the scope on the tripod I lay the rubber on top of the tripod, which creates a zero slip surface for the scope to ride on. I don't have to tighten the bolt nearly as much, and it eliminated any slipping between the metal surfaces.

astrogeoguy

Reged: 07/02/11

Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
Re: poor go to possible reasons? [Re: dogeddie]
      #5691458 - 02/20/13 06:15 PM

Nope - the LS scopes don't have a Calibrate North function. It wouldn't help if it did. It's local interference (cars, buried utilities, etc.) that throw off the north determination.

Chris

vomit

Reged: 02/19/13

#5692910 - 02/21/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

WOOT!! I had it out tonight and it it spot on!! I am very happy, and I love this scope! Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still using the LNT as well.

I believe it must have been the tripod issue. I squared it up as I mentioned above. Then I tightened the tripod bolt and RA lock until I was absolutely sure I was not getting any slipping by visually checking for movement when I tried to turn the scope by hand. (it was more than I thought would be necessary) That did the trick!

As a follow up for anyone who may have similar issues I picked up a 6x6x1/16" gasket rubber and cut it into a 6" circle, then cut a hole in the center for the through bolt. Before I put the scope on the tripod I lay the rubber on top of the tripod, which creates a zero slip surface for the scope to ride on. I don't have to tighten the bolt nearly as much, and it eliminated any slipping between the metal surfaces.

Good work, sir. I hope the LX90 gives you all it's worth. I read some of your nightmare scenario with Meade, and I am a little surprised you bought another. In all sincerity, however, that scope gave 8+ years with nary a problem.....except the Autostar *BLEEP*. I am a little worried about my new LX200....and trying to update through the ASU. For those who used Starpatch, what are your feelings on it?

Clear skies to you all....there are NONE in my immediate future.

dogeddie
sage

Reged: 03/26/10

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: poor go to possible reasons? new [Re: vomit]
      #5693292 - 02/21/13 06:24 PM

I found Starpatch very easy to use and used it to fix up the 497EP version of the Autostar I got from you. You may also want to use Andrew Johanson's My Scope utility, depending on what issues you are having. I used that to re install the "tours" that were missing from the Autostar.

You may want to start another post to call Andrew's attention to it, and I am sure he will steer you right.

Edited by dogeddie (02/21/13 06:25 PM)

vomit

Reged: 02/19/13

#5693918 - 02/22/13 01:43 AM

Quote:

I found Starpatch very easy to use and used it to fix up the 497EP version of the Autostar I got from you. You may also want to use Andrew Johanson's My Scope utility, depending on what issues you are having. I used that to re install the "tours" that were missing from the Autostar.

You may want to start another post to call Andrew's attention to it, and I am sure he will steer you right.

Thanks. As of now, no "issues" to report except CLOUDY skies.....I did look through the scope today at the power plant in the distance. Also let it "align" and I accepted the "stars" where they said they would be. Than I slewed to Mercury....and it looked to be right on, i.e. near the sun. I am getting ornery waiting for clear skies!!

sandybourne

Re: poor go to possible reasons? new [Re: vomit]
      #5725449 - 03/11/13 09:40 AM

Team, after taking your advice I managed to get a great night out with my LX200 10 acf. I invested in an illuminated reticule, went through your advised set up, used Rigel and Sirius for my 2 star alignment,success, set M42 in the Autostar and spent the rest of the session having some great views of the Orion Nebula . I experimented with various eyepieces and also got to use my new 2x Tele Vue Barlow.

Thanks again team for the input

Edited by sandybourne (03/11/13 10:06 PM)

LoveChina61
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/20/09

#5733993 - 03/15/13 12:05 PM

For an alignment that will be more accurate in every direction, choose two guide stars that are at least 45 degrees apart and not too near the zenith.

Rigel and Sirius are relatively close together. Syncing on those two stars will be great for looking at objects in their immediate area (e.g Orion Nebula), but if you choose two stars farther apart like let's say Rigel and Regulus (on the chest of Leo) you should get remarkably accurate tracking all over the sky in any direction.

Continue enjoying!

sandybourne

Re: poor go to possible reasons? new [Re: LoveChina61]
      #5736198 - 03/16/13 12:32 PM

Thanks , will give it a go next time out.

CS

sandybourne

#5858445 - 05/13/13 07:56 PM

I have managed to get out again and things are improving, I have invested in an RDF and my illuminated reticule is great. I am still a little way out on the GPS after the 2 star set up.

I am going to attempt to train the drives and calibrate the sensors next time out.

I am unable to see Polaris from my set up location (house in way) so is there another star option available when you are requested to center Polaris during the sensor calibration ?

clmbr256

Reged: 05/08/13

#5858462 - 05/13/13 08:06 PM

My LX200 was way off one time, turns out that the tube was loose in the forks. Also it tends not to know about magnetic declination, its consistently 10 degrees off on its magnetic north in my local observing locations. There is a magnetic anomaly where I am that affects all compasses to a varying degree. Once aligned its really good all night long. I get away with one star often if the sky only has a small area open.

One thing I really hate is that the LX200 program picks starts in the west where the sun is setting. I can see stars in the east that can be used for alignment but despite the fact that the scope is aware of both sunset and astronomical sunset it picks stars that can't be seen for half an hour or so....

When I use my wedge in Eq mode I don't use the setting circles on the scope, they are not accurate. I use a digital level to ensure that the wedge plate is flat at 45 degrees, and that the scope is level across the forks, and at 45 degrees on the tube matching the wedge angle.

The altitude setting circle is adjustable, but even properly adjusted its only roughly accurate.

Carpal Tunnel

#5858497 - 05/13/13 08:33 PM

No. It must be Polaris for calibration of the internal digital compass.

Maybe consider moving the scope to a new location temporarily so you can do the sensor calibration.

sandybourne

#5858503 - 05/13/13 08:36 PM

Thanks for confirming that Chris.

I will try and set up in a new location,cheers.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3143

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics