Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar Observing and Imaging

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kent10
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/08/12

Re: Lunt LS80 + DSII + Mark V? new [Re: George9]
      #5696724 - 02/23/13 02:32 PM

Thanks for the info, George. What you do with the dew shield sounds like a good idea. I worry about dust and pollen etc so I guess I will just have to try for myself and see.

So it sounds like you have viewed through the 100 and thought it was better than the 80. Is that with DS. I think everyone that has seen both has liked the 100 better overall as long as portability isn't an issue as in your case. They are also pretty close in price too if you have the DSII. The 100 gets the FT focuser while the 80 gets the zoom EP.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George9
sage

Reged: 12/11/04

Re: Lunt LS80 + DSII + Mark V? new [Re: Kent10]
      #5696782 - 02/23/13 03:06 PM

In my limited LS100 experience, the LS100 SS was better on prominences than the LS80 SS or DS. I prefered the LS80 DSII to the LS100 SS on the disk, but I can certainly believe frolinmod's assessment. Yet if you poke around more old threads, you will see that some rate the LS80 DSII as the best all-around disk ever (if you account for detail, contrast, and evenness); that's presumably at low to moderate power.

For that matter, my brief views through the LS152 showed it to be better than the LS100 on prominences, and my brief view through the LS230 showed it to be even better than that. The sky did have a fairly bright red background in the LS230, but the prominence was much brighter and more detailed. I guess seeing must have been good that day.

George

Kent10
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/08/12

Re: Lunt LS80 + DSII + Mark V? new [Re: George9]
      #5696788 - 02/23/13 03:09 PM

Quote:

For that matter, my brief views through the LS152 showed it to be better than the LS100 on prominences, and my brief view through the LS230 showed it to be even better than that. The sky did have a fairly bright red background in the LS230, but the prominence was much brighter and more detailed. I guess seeing must have been good that day.

George

Like you said there is always something better. Just have to decide where it ends and then dream of the next step up.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, Phillip Creed 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1142

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics